ID:183835

OK, I have a few questions about readyboost, and RAM...

1.) (Ram Question) Is there a maximum amount of RAM I can put into my computer?

2.) (Readyboost/RAM question) I remember that with Readyboost, you can't add more than 4 gigs to your computer, if you have a computer with 4 gigs of ram to start with, would you be able to add any at all?

Please Reply

--Moleboy
Moleboy wrote:
OK, I have a few questions about readyboost, and RAM...

1.) (Ram Question) Is there a maximum amount of RAM I can put into my computer?

2.) (Readyboost/RAM question) I remember that with Readyboost, you can't add more than 4 gigs to your computer, if you have a computer with 4 gigs of ram to start with, would you be able to add any at all?

Please Reply

--Moleboy

Your motherboard will only support so much RAM, you should check its handbook.
The answer to every Vista question is...Don't get it!
In response to National Guardsmen
4 Gigabyte is the max for any 32-bit processor and OS.. if yours is 64-bit.. don't worry.
In response to Kazekage
Let's say I have a 64 bit processor, what's the maximum for that? Also, if I get the maximum amount loaded into it, can I still readyboost for even MORE?

Please Reply

--Moleboy
In response to Moleboy
Well, are you using the 64bit version of Vista? Also, what does your motherboard allow? I know mine can only go to 4GB due to physical barriers (2 slots that can hold a max of 2GB each).
In response to Danial.Beta
32-bit > 4 Gigabyte = 2^32 bytes
64-bit > 2^64 bytes = Way more than possible in the next 100 years
There's definately a limit to how much RAM a certain motherboard can handle. It depends on the type of processor, how many processors, bays... etc. Like everyone here has already said.

My only question is, why do you want more than 4GB of RAM on a home PC system? Are you just curious?
1.) Limited by the motherboard; check with manufacturer. Vista supports up past 128 GB (!!!) on some 64-bit editions. 32 bit editions will be limited to 4 GB as always.

Check the diagram lower on this page:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_02.asp

2.) Readyboost is like a page file on flash memory rather than a hard disk. It's over-hyped.

~Kujila