ID:184341

http://www.realmcrafter.com

anyone ever tried out realm crafter? im thinkin about getting it, but after looking at the demo it seems rather noobish, and since it costs 65 bux i dont really wana waste my money lol
it actually looks good though I would try the demos before you start. But it sounds as though you need to know the Blitz3d to get a really good game. But for the cost, I have to say it isn't that bad.
Falacy wrote:
http://www.realmcrafter.com

anyone ever tried out realm crafter? im thinkin about getting it, but after looking at the demo it seems rather noobish, and since it costs 65 bux i dont really wana waste my money lol

It finally came out!!!
I've been watching the thing for about 2 years... I'm gonna have to check out the demo.
The graphics look a bit dodgy in some of the pics but yeah I remember seeing this engine like a year or two ago wondering if it was ever going to come out. Probably won't buy it though :P
In response to Critical
you dont need to know blitz to use it, you just need to know how to use a mouse, its setup for noobs, i looked at the demo, BUT! you need to know blitz if you plan on making anything other then a standard MMORPG, because thats all RC is setup for, but blitz lets u mod the source, and! i duno about blitz3d, but ive played around with regular blitz before, its not all that hard

also, im pretty sure this thing has been out for a while so i duno how closely youve been watching =P
In response to Falacy
the thing is people dont just sit there refreshing thier page and not moving for years at a time (iomagines that happening to Falacy XD) but I just looked at it and it's decent for people that don't have much time or expierience. I might just buy it for fun.
In response to FriesOfDoom
Looks pretty cool. I wish Torque was that easy to use. I promise that I'm going to make something one of these days using Torque, when I get that $100 indy license so I can change around the engine and make it into an RPG.
In response to EGUY
I'm interested in Torque too. I'm thinking I might get Torque Game Builder in a month or so. It's the 2D version, but still much more powerful than BYOND.
Realm Crafter's a horribly designed RPG cookie cutter that claims to be able to make MMORPGs in days. After their advert of "making the next WoW" pretty much anyone that understands how misleading that quote is hasnt taken a second look at it.

Its already happening, and is going to start happening more; there'll be hundreds of cloned RPGs, it'll end up being like the extent of rips on DBZ and Naruto games on BYOND. Just a bunch of people claiming there's is better, when they're all the same.

Dont fall for the scam.
In response to Shlaklava
I dont work for TGC so dont think this is advertising, but in all honesty, just get dark basic pro. Everyone sooner or later moves from blitz to dbp, out of frustration with blitz. DBP has so many more features than any other basic engine (that I know of) out there; shader support, user-plugin support, a huge command set to deal with Direct X's graphics engine, Dark Physics which lets you add some truly amazing physics to your games, and they just added Dark AI as well, so you're enemies wont only look good, theyll pwn in the ring as well. There's already about 4 projects I know of in the DBP community that are rivaling a few xbox 360 games, not only that but a few of the staff are part of large gaming industries like EA (though I hate EA).

Ive worked with all of the basic engines over the past 4 years, and ended up with DBP in the end, it beats them all. (And yes, it is possible to make an MMO with it, it just takes time, as it would in the real world, instead of the drag and drop world).

[EDIT]

One last note, if you've got any experience with other programming languages (especially DM), BASIC is extremely simple to pick up. Its 10 times easier than DM, even with the 3D command set. For example, to make a box;

make object box 1,10,20,5

Will make a 3D box with dimensions 10x20x5.

DarkBasicPro.com

- Conj'
In response to Crispy
Torques an excellent engine, it's got great graphics support, just Id advise you read up on the legal stuff before making the buy Crispy. Torque tends to (I've heard) slap on a tonne of copyright and royalty issues that lead to a lot of restrictions on getting the finished product out there (especially if you intent on making some money from it).
In response to The Conjuror
"More powerful"? 'Tis blasphemy!!! :D

For a Torque game, GarageGames can market the game for a royalty (if they approve of it). I'm not sure if there is one if you decide to market it elsewhere (though they might have said you can only market it with them). But in the long run, the cost of the royalty may be worth the advertisement and marketing on their site. Garagegames.com also has a pretty good community.

You only need to include the logo in the introduction if you have the indy version ($150) IIRC. The commercial goes for $495 and you don't need to do this.

Torque 3d looks nice and I really want to make something out it. I got a book called 3D Game Programming All In One as a present and it used Torque (a free version without any access to the engine source). It's C or C++ based, which I don't know but could figure out. I'll only have to worry about that when I buy a license which gives the source code for the engine. The actual scripting language for the game itself is very thorough and has templates/preconstructed classes and variables for a lot of the stuff but it is still very complex. I managed to make a shooter demo with two guns (machinegun and rocket launcher), which you could use the 1 and 2 buttons to switch between. I kind of quit when I kept getting an error where it didn't recompile the latest build. Another problem with Torque is that there doesn't seem to be much support for the model files it uses; TurboSquid or Google searchs turn up very little. One website I found had an entire library of models and a small editable demo but I lost the file on my computer.

I want to make an MMORPG, that's always been my dream. Torque was originally devised for Tribes, and is focused around FPS/TPS but can easily be tweaked.
The Conjuror wrote:
Torque tends to (I've heard) slap on a tonne of copyright and royalty issues that lead to a lot of restrictions on getting the finished product out there (especially if you intent on making some money from it).

Sounds like FUD to me. I've read all the stuff on the site and it clearly says that there are no royalties to pay. The indie version has to display a full-screen Torque logo when it starts up, that's all.
The Conjuror wrote:

Its already happening, and is going to start happening more; there'll be hundreds of cloned RPGs, it'll end up being like the extent of rips on DBZ and Naruto games on BYOND. Just a bunch of people claiming there's is better, when they're all the same.

even if this were to happen, at least all 100000 rips of the same exact game wont have a link posted to them from the same webpage so that it looks all noobish, like byond, *clicks hub, scrolls through, DBZ DBZ DBZ DBZ DBZ Original_Game Naruto Naruto Naruto Naruto Naruto*
aaaaaaamazing, seriously, byond should just ban all fan games, in the real gaming industry you wouldnt be able to make them without getting uber licenses first anyway

using any of these other engines youd have to advertise your own game, so, the more popular ones would catch on, and the crap ones would die out, unlike on byond where games go on for years, being hosted, and yet never having more then 10 players
In response to Falacy
aaaaaaamazing, seriously, byond should just ban all fan games, in the real gaming industry you wouldnt be able to make them without getting uber licenses first anyway
unlike on byond where games go on for years, being hosted, and yet never having more then 10 players

Thats what BYOND is for, to have the freedom of making your own game on whatever you want. So what if "crap games"(which is your opinion) last for years. It's the owner's or team's time and money for electriciy to host and make the game.