ID:134495

I love the tree view that BYOND has for these forums. They are, by far, the best forums I have seen. But this tree system does have a rather large problem with large threads.

Rather thank 89ing the whole tree view, I recommend a thread compression system. If a thread has have n replies, it automatically gets compressed, much in the same manor as threads that are moved to another section.

I request this because I am missing many posts because of certain large threads that don't seem to want to go past the first page.
Scoobert wrote:
I love the tree view that BYOND has for these forums. They are, by far, the best forums I have seen. But this tree system does have a rather large problem with large threads.

Rather thank 89ing the whole tree view, I recommend a thread compression system. If a thread has have n replies, it automatically gets compressed, much in the same manor as threads that are moved to another section.

I request this because I am missing many posts because of certain large threads that don't seem to want to go past the first page.

In your preferences theres an option to only display up to x posts on the thread. This should do exactly what your talking about

[Edit]
Maximum Thread Depth:
Determine how many levels of threading to show in the 'thread view' listing and in the individual message display. Messages threaded deeper than the maximum will be displayed at the maximum depth. A value of '0' indicates unlimited threading.
In response to Strawgate
Nope, that is not it. That is how far it goes before bending, to prevent thread titles from getting broken up from lack of screen space. It doesn't hide anything.

Perhaps I was not clear. What I want is for threads over a certain size to be compressed into one link. That way they do not press other threads onto the next page.
I definitely second this. Due to big, stupid huge posts I often mis interesting threads, and get to read them weeks later. This feature should definitely be added!

O-matic
Alternatively, maybe a system where all threads are compressed until you click on them, then they show the entire tree view? Kind of like your typical Windows file manager? Maybe just a forum preference to toggle something like this would work well.
In response to Foomer
That would be nice. I use topic view mainly because Thread View gets so unwieldly.

Another alternative: In threads that have unread posts, only the unread posts (plus the parent post perhaps) are displayed in Thread View.
In response to O-matic
O-matic wrote:
I definitely second this. Due to big, stupid huge posts I often mis interesting threads, and get to read them weeks later. This feature should definitely be added!

O-matic

Like many of Sorcerbs. Try going to preferences and using Topic View, like most forums do. That way you only see the topic name instead of all the posts in it.