ID:134730

Can you play/host Byond games with windows 2003 server?

PS. I decided to repost this here, becoese more people will see it here, then they would in the computer forum.
Why not try it and see?
In response to Jon88
Becoese Wildows 2003 server costs 600$
Don't repost. Evil. -_-

As I said on the other thread (now deleted), I don't know but I don't see why not.
In response to Crispy
I posted this for other people to post to it, not you, who already posted.

PS. only the Byond Admins, or someone who already uses it would know, so I want "those" people to reply.
In response to Zoltor
I deleted your other thread because cross-posting isn't allowed, and then replicated the content of that thread here. There's no need to flame me for it.
In response to Crispy
I don't mind you deleteing the old post, but your reply made it sound like, you answered it, so that is the only legit reply.

PS. Also, it was more then clear, that noone was even reading that forum, not to mention this should've been posted here to begin with, seeing how It's a dirrect question on the functionality of Byond, and the "Computers & Technology" forum, is not even related to Byond.
Yes, I run 2003 and can do both.
In response to Shun Di
Okay, thank you.
In response to Zoltor
*coughcough* if you really just need a window's server, linux is the way to go! =)

Plus it's free.
In response to Flame Sage
Lol, no thanks, I am a Linux hater. I used Linux before, but I just don't like it, plus linux is verey limited, other then Byond just being in text, alot of other programs, and such, can't even be used with Linux.

In response to Zoltor
I didn't mean to come across that way, so if I did I apologise.

PS. Also, it was more then clear, that noone was even reading that forum, not to mention this should've been posted here to begin with, seeing how It's a dirrect question on the functionality of Byond, and the "Computers & Technology" forum, is not even related to Byond.

People do read that forum, you just didn't wait long enough. In any case, you could have just asked a moderator to move the thread. =)
In response to Crispy
No problem.

Okay, in the future, I'll do so.
In response to Zoltor
You 'just don't like it'? You'd blow $600 on a bug-filled, insecure Window's OS instead of using linux because you 'just don't like it', and can't find the freeware alternatives to the stuff that doesn't run under linux? And what's wrong with running BYOND in text mode?
In response to Jp
Well, I don't wan't to look at text all day, also, if I want to play the game alittle, It's a bit more fun to play the game as it is meant to be played, instead of reading text,and typeing out everey comand.

PS. Also as I stated, alot of programs out there don't even have a linux version. Yea, If I was only gonna use my comp to host, and that's it, linux would be better, but I use my comp for alot of things.
In response to Zoltor
And as I stated, there are generally good freeware alternatives.
In response to Zoltor
Zoltor wrote:
Well, I don't wan't to look at text all day, also, if I want to play the game alittle, It's a bit more fun to play the game as it is meant to be played, instead of reading text,and typeing out everey comand.

PS. Also as I stated, alot of programs out there don't even have a linux version. Yea, If I was only gonna use my comp to host, and that's it, linux would be better, but I use my comp for alot of things.

Well, what does windows have that linux doesnt have? Apart from a Graphic enabled version of Byond?
In response to Smoko
Most games... Besides that, nothing worth having. I know some can use things like wineX to run most games, but I have troubles with it.
In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:
Most games... Besides that, nothing worth having. I know some can use things like wineX to run most games, but I have troubles with it.

yeah, i had trouble with wine. cedega and cross over office.
In response to Zoltor
Zoltor wrote:
Lol, no thanks, I am a Linux hater. I used Linux before, but I just don't like it, plus linux is verey limited, other then Byond just being in text, alot of other programs, and such, can't even be used with Linux.
Well, linux doesn't crash nearly as much as Windows (In fact, I haven't had the OS crash ever!), and it's free. You don't have to play the game that you are hosting on the server on that server, you can just play it on another computer. Besides, it doesn't lag as much. The command-line-interface is pretty easy to learn.