ID:185726

This is a sweet extention for FireFox. It makes a tab with an IE window in it, so you can easily look at pages in IE without even leaving firefox. Pretty nice. I highly suggest checking it out.

http://ietab.mozdev.org/
/me wonders what the developer's original language is.

* Address bar NOT be updated to show the change in URL.
(plz to be careful of the server redirects IE to a different page/domain)

* When IE open a new window, it may be blocked by Firefox.
(u can try add an "ietab" site into allowed-popup site in Firefox Options)

* Some non-ASCII keys, AtlGr key... doesn't work problem
(we should fix this problem in v1.0.7)

<_plz before they learn the proper form of the language.

*EDIT* Nevermind. addons.mozilla.org says it's from Taiwan. Heh, silly Taiwanese people using short-hands like that.

Hiead
In response to Hiead
Chinesse *points to all the things that say "tiawan."*
SuperAntx wrote:
How about converting the BYOND browser to Firefox now!

I'd very much like that. It's possible but it might take some effort so it's sort of a back-burner thing.

Basically to do it you have to install Mozilla's OCX control so you can view pages in Gecko (the engine used by Mozilla). So if we went that route, we'd have to set up BYOND's installer to install the control, and also set up an upgrade installer.

Given the deepening security risks posed by IE, I think this is something we need to do.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
FINALLY (hopefully)...I've been waiting for this for quite a while, now. "Over 90% of the population uses IE" isn't helped by the fact that all the software decides to run IE!

Anyways, I hope this gets done.

Lummox JR wrote:
It's possible but it might take some effort so it's sort of a back-burner thing.

But it might take some effort...?! Don't be getting lazy on us, now. =D

Hiead
In response to Hiead
He might just be saying it might take some time.
In response to Hiead
Hiead wrote:
FINALLY (hopefully)...I've been waiting for this for quite a while, now. "Over 90% of the population uses IE" isn't helped by the fact that all the software decides to run IE!

90% was a stretch even when IE peaked in the browser wars. If you said 90% of people within a given month would have had IE open at some point, you'd probably be in the money.

Nowadays, though, IE is on a sharp decline and good riddance.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:

Not sharp enough. I've found myself in some debates with some of BYOND's "brightest minds" trying to convince them why they should switch to Firefox. I can't imagine any point in staying with IE. If you get that homesick, there's the IE Tab plugin, and the View This Page in IE plugin to take care of you.

Hiead
In response to Hiead
Hiead wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:

Not sharp enough. I've found myself in some debates with some of BYOND's "brightest minds" trying to convince them why they should switch to Firefox.

Who are these bright minds you speak of? I'll beat some sense into them.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Well, I can't remember the specific one, but I'm pretty sure it was at least two of the people in the following list:
  • Jon88
  • OneFishDown
  • DeathAwaitsU
    Of course, all 3 frequent wiz_chat, so I've sort of forgotten the specific key(s) that are IE-brainwashees.

Ungh. No use IE on Net.

Hiead
In response to Hiead
Hiead wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:

Not sharp enough. I've found myself in some debates with some of BYOND's "brightest minds" trying to convince them why they should switch to Firefox. I can't imagine any point in staying with IE. If you get that homesick, there's the IE Tab plugin, and the View This Page in IE plugin to take care of you.

Hiead

The truth is it's not sharp at all. IE holds around 85% of the market while Firefox holds around 8%. In fact Firefox loss ground during July to Microsoft.

In any case Microsoft is playing it's cards right, making IE 7 more standards compliant as well as adding firefox support to live, and there validation tool. I also hear talk of firefox support for Microsoft update as well. (and there is an opensorce active X control for FF in the works :P)
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Who are these bright minds you speak of? I'll beat some sense into them.

ha! i just had a scene pop into my head upon reading that: the scene in the movie Airplane! where the characters are lining up to take whacks at a hysterical woman on the plane.
In response to Xzar
Xzar wrote:
(and there is an opensorce active X control for FF in the works :P)

ActiveX on Firefox?! Crap. That's the last thing we need. Bleeding insecure piece of... *mumbles*