ID:152890

Ok... so i need help determining how to make the weapon damage values.

FOr examp, thers a M4 carbine, but how much damage should i make it? I went to a counter strike damage calculator and the range is 22-124. I want the game to be fun yet not too realistic other wise the players will die too fast.
you should use rand(#,#) so the damage isn't the same each time.
In response to Popisfizzy
no, no thats not wat i meant. wat i meant is for the damage to be realistic (like if u get a head shot u die instantly) or not (you can take a couple of those befor u die) ??? cuz if it is too realistic, u die too soon, and if its not, thers a chance that players will think that the game is impossible
In response to Lou
oh. Yea, head shot you die instantly. But how does it work? Prob() or what?
In response to Lou
Lou wrote:
no, no thats not wat i meant. wat i meant is for the damage to be realistic (like if u get a head shot u die instantly) or not (you can take a couple of those befor u die) ??? cuz if it is too realistic, u die too soon, and if its not, thers a chance that players will think that the game is impossible

You would have to create your own system of how you would do weapon damages with guns. I'll list some systems which are possible.

Random: The damage is basically random on what the gun is capable of doing. The simplest, yet random stuff can be annoying.

Concentrated: Depending on how long you have been on the same spot, you can aim better, and have a higher chance of getting a head shot, effectively doing more damage. A way to do that is to create a variable for the person who is holding the gun, and whenever a person moves, it goes up. The more they move, they less focused they are on their target. Whenever they stop moving, the variable decreases. The lower the variable, the higher chance you will do more damage. This could create more accurate shots if you wait before you fire.

You really can't do much more on a 2d engine, but I hope I helped.

~~> Dragon Lord
In response to Unknown Person
yea im doing the complicated stuff. But none of u guys have answered my q. How powerful should the shots be? becus sur i can make it like counterstrike a shot in the head means u die, or...i can make it like tfc or halo, and make the weapons weaker.
In response to Lou
well, in Halo he has a super strong helmet. But i think you should make it arcadey, with weapons weaker. That allows for people being alive longer, and therefore having more fun.
.... !
i kno how to code...but y is it so hard for evryone to comphrehend my question! go look at popisfizzy's post.. MAYBE then ud understand it
In response to Lou
Well it's really how you phrased the question that was the problem.. but the answer to your true question: YOU make the damage, we don't know how your game goes, what's the minimum hp, etc...

Just make up some damages, most people won't really care (but make it realistic like do NOT make a bazooka's damage less than a handgun's damage)...

In other words: We can not tell you a suitable damage for the bullets (since we don't know if it'll be too much or little for your game), just make a list of guns you have, the maximum health (if any), than determine it that way. >.>
In response to GhostAnime
ok...

M4 (assault rifle)
Raptor pistol
Uzi
Steyr Scout (sniper)
FN F2000 (assault rifle)
Berreta PX4 Storm
Desert Eagle
MP-7
AK-47
Benelli M4 (shotgun)
M136 LAW (rocket launcher)
AWP (sniper)
Steyr AUG

max health is 100, probably sniper and rocket bullets should do probably 80-over 100 damage.

Feel free to add to the list if u have any suggestions

In response to Lou
They did answer your question. Make up your own damage, but make sure obivous stuff isn't out of line.(such as a handgun doing more damage than a rocket launcher)
In response to Lou
I think he's asking for people's opinions on how many shots from each weapon should be able to kill someone, so he can calculate something better than random damage. Ex: It would take maybe 3 pistol shots to kill a player (with body armor and stuff), while a rocket launcher takes 1 shot.

What I would do is put the weapons in order from least to most powerful and assign values in that order:
Knife: 20-25 damage
Pistol: 25-34 damage
Machinegun: 34-60 damage
Sniper Rifle: 60-80 damage
Rocket Launcher: 100 damage

Of course, the damage ranges can overlap, like pistol does 25-34 and machine gun does 30-60.

And then there is rate of fire...
In response to Unknown Person
Why have it decrease to shoot better, and increase to shoot worse?

Why not have it increase the longer they stand, and that increase is how much more damage they do?
In response to Elation
... this is kinda tiring to explain to evryone. What i mean is how powerful to make the weapons.
In response to Lou
Well, a bullet from any weapon can kill someone unless it is a grazing shot or something. Even then, it depends more on the skill of the user on the weapon than the weapon itself. A master of the deadly art of apple core throwing could take down a bazooka newbie.