In response to Bolt Dragon
there is one thing I want to say:

BYOND was always free I wasn't here in the early beginning but.. I know that it always was free.

And it still is.. and people can now isgn up for extra features like the pager/free byond site etc..
they putte this membership because they needed money to pay the server/bandwith etc..

but my point is theres almost nothing changed only a few new extras and the pager is now fof members only, So I dont know why you are complaining. You just made yourself look like a kid, a kid who keeps complaining about BYOND changing, nothing more.

and still 1 thing.

you wrote:
"Did we forget to mention? The BYOND software suite is absolutely, unconditionally free. Oh, there's a fortune to be made, but first ... the free-lance gaming revolution! Come join the fray as we sweep across the Internet and, of course, ... deep into the ever changing lands BYOND!" Dantom's OWN words!

its still free only they added something extra and people need to pay for that, the only thing that the non-members will lose is the pager nothing more.

so I'm asking you to be quiet and stop talking trash.

have a nice day

O-matic
I'll sign! Its better than waiting on game donations to pay for it (especially since nothing in it seems to be working with 3.5).....
In response to Kunark
Yes, a rather humurous one tha I liked, but some people had to go and turn it into a big war about why we have to pay for BYOND. I would have gladly gave it the little money I have in my Paypal account ($4.50 I think) and sent in a donation, now that they have membership, I'll just save up a bit farther and buy the membership. The software is still free though, so I really have no idea what all the complaints are coming from. The only people who have a real reason to complain are pagerspammers.
In response to Jamesburrow
ok,last night when i posted that, i was tired and my unnamed sorce has his ways of confuseing me to think what he wants. after reading this stuff i'm agreeing with the paying but if my parents found out(i'm only 14) then they could get a reason to kick me off of byond. i dont'get an allounce so i wouldn't be able to pay for it myself >.>. sry if i cause anything but i was kinda brainwashed into thinking this was a bad idea >.>
tiredness is no excuse for posting un-warrented crap that has no basis in fact. i might suggest slapping some sense into your 'source' for creating such a panic. we appreciate the apology none-the-less.

since there is no requirement for you to pay, then there is no reason for your parents to kick you off of BYOND. only a minor handful of features (the majority of those new anyway) are a part of the new Memebership package. you can still make and join games on BYOND.

re-read the announcement carefully. nothing you don't already do now will be affected, aside from some features of the new pager.
In response to digitalmouse
he got me thinking that pager owuld be taken out for non-memebers >.> thats the reason i got upset about it
Bolt Dragon wrote:
he got me thinking that pager owuld be taken out for non-memebers >.> thats the reason i got upset about it

It is. Non-members can not send pages to others.

~>Jiskuha
In response to Kujila
I agree...

And it made me laugh... It must be digi's wife on the computer...
In response to Kunark
that makes no sense, since i'm not married (*shudder*). :p

seriously, what is the problem with using Chatters if you don't have full pager access? with DS being split-up, it's a simple thing to start up Chatters in a small side window, invite your friends to your own public/private channel, and off you go. you get private messaging (which you can receive when you return to Chatters), whispers, control over what goes on in your channel, the ability to appoint moderators for your channel, and even a map editor to create an little game environment or atmosphere.

heck, this sounds even better and more versatile than the pager anyway! with a little fixing of some remaining bugs, Xooxer's Chatters could replace the pager in some circumstances.

or make your own IM/chat system! this *is* one of BYOND's strengths, ya know!
Bolt Dragon wrote:

Sending pages to others will no longer be possible for non-members, unless a member initiates the conversation. However this is a very good thing, since it eliminates almost all of the current pager abuse.

The pager itself will still be plenty usable for receiving messages and seeing games online. Best of all, bandwidth will no longer be taken up by the 99% crap that currently consumes it.

Take that, stupid page-alls!
Take that, polykey pager spam!
Take that, idiot chain page senders!
Take that, nuclear power pl... oh, fiddlesticks.

Lummox JR
The problem is, if person A has the person B on their pager list and invites person B to their channel, person B would also like to be with his/her friend/s who we can call C. But what if A and C don't like each other? Now consider this in lists of hundreds like a lot of people's pagers. You can't expect servers to be able to hold 500 people all talking.
Wow -- I had really expected you, Leftley, to be the sort of person that would support this. :/

Personally, I'm thrilled that BYOND is making this solid push forward. Although not everybody is quite as optimistic as me, I see this as a fantastic opportunity for Dantom to bring in some money to advance the BYOND project with, and give us some nifty features to toy with as well. Everybody wins! :P
In response to Malver
Malver wrote:
Wow -- I had really expected you, Leftley, to be the sort of person that would support this. :/

And I think Leftley had really expected everyone to be the sort of person to grasp sarcasm. He's mocking the hysteria in [link].

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
And I think Leftley had really expected everyone to be the sort of person to grasp sarcasm.

On BYOND? What kind of silly expectation is that!? :D
In response to DeathAwaitsU
if the masses flock to Chatters, then we'll look into opening more servers up. though the digitalBYOND primary server should handle 100-200 people without *too* much fuss. they don't all talk at the same time i bet. besides, a little lag is good for the soul! :)

and if A and C don't like each other, they can put each other on their respective ignore lists. then B can sit there and field 'A said this...' and 'C said this...'. hopefully B would leave them both and start another channel.

:p
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
And I think Leftley had really expected everyone to be the sort of person to grasp sarcasm.

I expected you to give me more credit than attributing such preposterous notions to me.
digitalmouse wrote:
a little lag is good for the soul! :)

I can see it now, the internet chatroom version of Chicken Soup for the Soul: Flamebaiting, Flaming, Lagging, and Spam for the Soul!
I like that better than the pager anyway. I've always hated the pager. Now that you have to pay for it, there will definately be less pager-spam, so I really don't mind leaving it open, but I still hate the thing, Its good for one or two purposes, but other than that, Its cool to have in case of dire emergencies, but other than that its pointless.
In response to Jiskuha
Yeah, but members can page non-members and non-members can page them back.
In response to Mazoku
(Leftley made lode wars! LODE WARS!!!111!111, hes smart)

Anyways.. 1/3 or more of Byond users are not old enough to get a credit card. And parents aren't very cooperative with using credit cards on the internet. I didn't seem to like the new layout for dreamseeker, so im sticking to 3.4. (until it gets better >_<)
Page: 1 2 3