ID:186620

Do you have to buy 4.0 or will the "oldies" be considered members?

Will it seem like we are in "Demo" mode without buying it?
Will it seem like we are in "Demo" mode without buying it?

From what I understand the core BYOND software for developing and playing the games will always be free. You'll just have to pay for some of the niceities like the pager.
In response to Theodis
Yeah. Come the end of June, Pager will be Member-only basically.
In response to Tiko
Not everyone can host games, so chatters will be out of the question, and what about people who don't have aim, msn, or stuff like that, huh? ever think abut them?
In response to Artisan
Um... What?
In response to Jp
I was just saying, the pager may be some peoples only way of communication
In response to Artisan
Artisan wrote:
Not everyone can host games, so chatters will be out of the question, and what about people who don't have aim, msn, or stuff like that, huh? ever think abut them?

Get over it, you cant use the pager. You can do everything else though.

And if people dont have AIM/MSN/Yahoo/ICQ/What ever else there is, cant they download it?
In response to Artisan
Fat chance. There are such things as instant messengers. If people can use the pager, they can use one of those. Or, they can use email. Or phones. Or go to Chatters, which is ALWAYS UP. And despite what you keep claiming, you can still browse the hub. Hell, yell really loud if you can't get to any of the above. Write a letter.
In response to Tiko
Tiko wrote:
Yeah. Come the end of June, Pager will be Member-only basically.

No. The pager still functions for non-members, just not completely. If a member starts a conversation with a non-member the member can reply. I'm also 99% sure that the reporting of who's online, who's watching and what games are up all still functions normally.
In response to Artisan
Just use ICQ, MSM, AIM, etc. for your messaging. Anybody with Internet access can get them for free, you know. At least this way cuts down on the horrendous pager spam and is worth it for that!
In response to Artisan
Artisan wrote:
Not everyone can host games, so chatters will be out of the question

BYOND 3.5 places no limitations on hosting or playing games. I'll repeat that: You can still host and play games just like before.

All you'll miss is the pager. That's it. All other Member perks are new features.

and what about people who don't have aim, msn, or stuff like that, huh? ever think abut them?

Then they can download it for free. =) MSN, AIM, etc. all have better chatting interfaces than the pager ever did anyway; and even failing that, there's still email.

Personally I've always been of the opinion that the pager is ugly and slow, so I don't see myself ever missing it! Mind you, I'm more than likely going to pay for membership anyway.
In response to Crispy
Hell, get enough members onto X-Fire and we could probably get X-Fire support for byond, almost compleatly getting rid of the need for a pager.
In response to Jp
Actually, Chatters isn't "ALWAYS UP". It mainly is, but every now and then it crashes when digitalmouse isn't around to fix it. Sometimes it may be down for a while, but yeah it's almost always up.
In response to DarkView
"If a member starts a conversation with a non-member the member can reply."

Erm, you mean the non-member can reply right? >_>
In response to Artekia
So then, what will the member perks be? I am not about to buy a monthly or yearly membership if all I get is that stinky pager.

Edit:
Never mind, I just read up on it, good deal!
The memeber sites, are they just blogs.. or will we be able to host files off of our sites?
In response to Shades
Shades wrote:
The memeber sites, are they just blogs.. or will we be able to host files off of our sites?

Right now it is the blog, and the ability to rank games and track your friend's blog updates.

Whether we add some form of file-hosting is under discussion for the future.
In response to Deadron
Is the file-hosting necessary? Beyond (pun) putting up Byond-related files, wouldn't there be the issue of material being uploaded that would be questionable in nature? I recall during the last few days of the hub storing stuff, that a few roms began being put up.
Maybe if you were granted access to upload files with valid Byond extensions, instead?
In response to Sarm
Sarm wrote:
Is the file-hosting necessary? Beyond (pun) putting up Byond-related files, wouldn't there be the issue of material being uploaded that would be questionable in nature? I recall during the last few days of the hub storing stuff, that a few roms began being put up.

There are potential content issues and bandwidth issues...so we want to put a lot of thought into it before going back down the file hosting route.
In response to Artisan
AIM's free, YIM's free, MSN's free...
And why would you need to host a game to go to chatters?
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
Personally I've always been of the opinion that the pager is ugly and slow, so I don't see myself ever missing it! Mind you, I'm more than likely going to pay for membership anyway.

Same for me, it slows the game down, so I always left it turned off, and I probably still will even after I pay for the membership, unless I want to host a game (doesn't the pager need to be on to do that.... And I'm sure it will still have that function even if your not a member)
Page: 1 2