In response to Sarm
Hmm, if my dad was in the U.S. military stationed in another country, and I was born there, would I be able to run for president? 'Cause I was born in Germany for that reason >_>.
In response to Artekia
Artekia wrote:
Hmm, if my dad was in the U.S. military stationed in another country, and I was born there, would I be able to run for president? 'Cause I was born in Germany for that reason >_>.

The reason that you wouldn't be able to run for president?

Go Artekia's Parents!
In response to Elation
You would be able to be president, you would have to live in the states for a minimum of 35 years(I think that is the minimum), at birth you would be deemed an american because of your Father (I think theyre given a choice on what nationality you'll be, your parents that it).
In response to Tiko
Tiko wrote:
He just has a weird way of speaking. :P

Exactly, what's wrong with that?
The president can't speak like a normal american?

And who's to say kerry is a genius compared to bush, didn't they both graduate from yale?
I think the manner in which the candidates talk means very little. Most of the time they have pre-written speeches that they have only moderately changed. If I can take you all back to middle school for a minute, I'd like to reiterate that the government is controlled with a triad of power. The legislative, judicial, and the executive. The president himself makes up one of these bodies, but that only counts for 33% of the power. Thus when you blame things on the president, you're really blaming it on the president and another branch of power, or basically: a whole lot of people.

The war in Iraq may or may not have been a "good thing" for America to engage in, however if you have read history of Iraq you would understand where the terrorist allegations come from. Saddam was indeed a dictator, and a very unjust one. He was Hitler-esque, not in a warmongering sense, but in a biased and judgemental sense that resulted in hundreds of thousands of lives over the course of his leadership position. Whether Iraq was an immediate threat to the United States is not the driving motivation in this novel, this war was created under the pretense of staving off terrorism. Terrorists can be psychologically manipulated like any other brand of people, and I believe they have been scared (to a point) by the entire Iraq incident. Possibly because it seems like the US is an "uncontrolled war machine" or possibly because they know Iraq really was involved, maybe even with them personally, and they could be next.

Aside from that, creating a new democracy in the Middle East could be a great aide in moderating the constant conflict in the countries in that region.

Either way, the president is not remotely to blame for everything that has gone wrong. And his speech, though not professional during unscripted sessions, is no bearing on his intelligence or his capability to lead. After all, I am not the best speaker, I often get frustrated and angry when administering games and dealing with people. That doesn't change my programming ability, and I'm still a moderately decent programmer.

~Polatrite~
In response to Polatrite
Polatrite wrote:
Either way, the president is not remotely to blame for everything that has gone wrong. And his speech, though not professional during unscripted sessions, is no bearing on his intelligence or his capability to lead. After all, I am not the best speaker, I often get frustrated and angry when administering games and dealing with people. That doesn't change my programming ability, and I'm still a moderately decent programmer.

~Polatrite~

Remember that you're just a programmer, a designer- you don't need to have good PR skills. If Bush worked in a nice obscure Government job, then fine- but the fact that he *leads*, he is a role model to millions of people implies that he should try to be less...raucous.
In response to Polatrite
"If I can take you all back to middle school for a minute,"

Back? I'm still there =|.

But yeah, that is a good point. A lot of people probably don't realize that he holds 1/3 power. I didn't know exactly how much until I saw this. >_>
In response to Deadron
If you'd prefer a situation where we were pulling ourselves out of Iraq and just leaving that region to its own devices, then you'd be better off with Kerry. As he has made clear, he considers the Iraqi election illegitimate and he'd have worked to have good relations with the various dictators in the area. For some, it would be better to let the region continue as it was before, as long as we're not involved.

yeah let them kill there own ppl we are verry far from them just like we were from nazi germany and hitlers empire its not like there gonna bomb us like the japenesse military goverment or wait didnt terrost from the middle east come and weakin finance by destroying the world trade center by crashing a plane into it thats kinda like a bomb didnt fammilies lose eachother be cause of that i highly doubt your stupid enought to say let america lieve esp when now there is a new goverment with multiple leaders in iraq thanks to our leaders ahem that means bush too
In response to Stimulus
yea the media will enjoy that what scandles will she come up with
In response to Atomic1fire
Iraq != Terrorists
Iraq != Germany
Iraq != Japan
Saddam Hussein != Hitler

Iraq has been royally screwed over by America, my brainwashed friend. I hope you have fun trying to keep it going for the next hundred years!

Incidentally, Bush screwed up America's economy, not the 11/9 attacks.
In response to Airjoe
Bush didn't graduate from Yale. No way in hell.
In response to Elation
America is the least free of western nations, and it's probably near the bottom in terms of freedom out of all countries in the world. That's what I think.

Especially with the Religious Wrong in power.
In response to Elation
Elation wrote:
Polatrite wrote:

~Polatrite~

Remember that you're just a programmer, a designer- you don't need to have good PR skills. If Bush worked in a nice obscure Government job, then fine- but the fact that he *leads*, he is a role model to millions of people implies that he should try to be less...raucous.

No actually... he doesnt hold that much power, its the other 2/3 of the power that can change things. But remember, we elected a administrator, that means we trust him, untill the end of his term. Theres nothing anyone can do to stop his presidency, he cannot be impeached, he has done nothing wrong.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
America is the least free of western nations, and it's probably near the bottom in terms of freedom out of all countries in the world. That's what I think.

Especially with the Religious Wrong in power.

America is a very free country, there are many countries in the middle east that women cant even show there faces with out accompement of a man.

There are places where the females family pays thousands of dollars to the males family, just to get married.
In response to Jp
Bush only has 1/3 of the power, so its also your legitlative friends :)
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
Bush didn't graduate from Yale. No way in hell.

"President Bush was born on July 6, 1946, in New Haven, Connecticut, and grew up in Midland and Houston, Texas. He received a bachelor’s degree in history from Yale University in 1968"

http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/gwbbio.html

He also got an MBA.
In response to Strawgate
Uhhh, where in his post did he say anything about Bush's power? All he talked about was him being a role model.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:

Out of curiousity, can you think of any countries in the world with less freedom than the US?

Do you consider Afghanistan under the Taliban to have been more free than the US? Iraq under Saddam?

If so, how exactly would you define freedom?
In response to Strawgate
That argument is bovine faecal matter.

Bush has all the power. He's the one that says "Lets go bomb this random country!", and that's what happens.

Anyway the Australian legal system has no effect on the American government. So my legislative friends have no power there. :P
In response to Deadron
Whether he recieved it or not is not in question. It's whether or not he EARNT it.

It sort of sounds like a conspiracy theory, but I'm fairly sure that money is the only thing that got Bush through.

I don't have a high opinion of the American education system, anyway. Given that some ridiculous number of members of government in America support the idea of creationism being taught in science classrooms (as an 'alternative' to evolution and the standard model, as if it has scientific merit), and they presumably went through the education system...
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6 7 8