ID:187093

Sure, most people know of Spyware now, this time last year only 2% of all internet users knew what it was and how to deal with it. And sadly with publicity and more ways of fighting Spyware, Spyware developers are becoming more and more cunning about how their programs work. Spyware IS illegal in a few US states including California (where SPAM mail is also illegal), so if you live in a state with this law all you have to do is make a legal complaint about the Spyware company and action is taken.

But, if you live in a state where Spyware is still running rampant here are a few program that will make life easier.

For Windows 2000/NT/XP users

Microsoft AntiSpyware
Very fast and efficent scanner that's free and easy to use, includes a very powerful real-time scanning agent, and automatic updates (if you want them). Don't be fooled by the Microsoft title, the program was developed by a company that knew good amounts about Spyware, all Microsoft did was add OS intergration that only makes the program more powerful. I use this and have yet to find anything harmful since.

For Windows 95/98/98SE Users

Sunbelt CounterSpyware
Built on the same engine as Microsoft AntiSpyware and with the same general functions. Not free, sadly. If Spybot and AdAware aren't working well enough the free trial should work just enough to help you out.

For Windows users with Windows 95 or above

Spybot Search and Destroy
One of the first, but it doesn't find everything. Decent updates, when they happen. And it's free.

Lavasoft's AdAware
Came out before Spybot, still has defination updates, but lackes in program updates. Doesn't find everything, it's a great compliment to Spybot, and it's free.

If you're a Linux user and get Spyware, shame on you! You should know how to fix it yourself.

Also, if the system is in too bad of shape to run a scanner I recommend Googling a free online scanner, or formatting your drive.
For Windows 2000/NT/XP users
Microsoft AntiSpyware finds around 63% of spyware
Very fast and efficient scanner that's free and easy to use, includes a very powerful real-time scanning agent, and automatic updates (if you want them). Don't be fooled by the Microsoft title, the program was developed by a company that knew good amounts about Spyware, all Microsoft did was add OS integration that only makes the program more powerful. I use this and have yet to find anything harmful since. (note: mricosoft announced today that it will stay free after release)

For Windows 95/98/98SE Users
Sunbelt CounterSpyware
Built on the same engine as Microsoft AntiSpyware and with the same general functions. Not free, sadly. If Spybot and AdAware aren't working well enough the free trial should work just enough to help you out.

For Windows users with Windows 95 or above
Spybot Search and Destroy finds around 33% of spyware
One of the first, but it doesn't find everything. Decent updates, when they happen. And it's free.
Lavasoft's AdAware finds around 47% of spyware
Came out before Spybot, still has definition updates, but lackes in program updates. Doesn't find everything, it's a great compliment to Spybot, and it's free. (update: Under heavy fire for removing whenU and others, not recommend until resolved)
Webroot Spy Sweeper finds around 48% of spyware
Much newer then ad-aware and spy-bot but has a very good standing in the industry, sadly it is also not free, however paired with MS anti-spyware you got a very good team, that detects around 70% of all spyware.

I also recommand that if your system is in too bad of shape to run a scanner formatting your drive is the best answer.

Do yuo know if its illegal in TN?
In response to Xzar
I love these random percentages. 63%, 80%, blah blah. Tell me how you came up with those statistics, please.
In response to Mertek
The statistics are based on the tests done by Eric L. Howes at: http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm

The statistics them self, Came from this article: http://windowssecrets.com/050127/
Linux + Spyware?

Hehehe.

~Kujila
In response to Xzar
Nice

~Kujila