ID:135402

I know there is a way to use the built in zip function of byond already, of which I happened to lose during my last reformat. I do hope I got it backed up some ware. But anyway my suggestion is to create a pack & unpack proc instead of the soft coded version.

Ex.
Pack(data) or zip() - Compresses using the zip format
Unpack(data) or unzip() - Decompress the data from the zip format

This can be useful for compressing data going to another server via world/topic, Or in compressing save files. Of course there are many other uses for such a proc, Such as compressing data on the byond host server for Linux.
Xzar wrote:
I know there is a way to use the built in zip function of byond already, of which I happened to lose during my last reformat. I do hope I got it backed up some ware. But anyway my suggestion is to create a pack & unpack proc instead of the soft coded version.

Well, you can use "Package Files" in Dream Maker.

Such as compressing data on the byond host server for Linux.

Why not just use shell() to call tar and/or gzip?
In response to Jon88
"Well, you can use "Package Files" in Dream Maker."

That not what I'm looking for, I was using the porc for run time commpression of files & data.

"Why not just use shell() to call tar and/or gzip?"

Why do that when the byond client has a zip function built in already...The only problem is the step to use it. I was also thinking of a more seamless intergration with the host libary.
hub://Dantom.zipfile

As it says in the description, this isn't fully documented or tested yet, which I suppose is the reason why it is hidden from hub searches. One of these days we ought to polish it up, but for now we have more important things to get done. Hopefully it works for you!
In response to Mike H
Yep, that is what I lost, Thanks for diging it back up for me :).

I'm sure i'm one of the few that have used it in the past. maybe I'll clean it up a bit myself. but anyway I think it might be a little better if you do make a hard coded proc one day. Spuzzum even asked for this in 02 if I remamber right :P.
In response to Xzar
I'm sure i'm one of the few that have used it in the past. maybe I'll clean it up a bit myself. but anyway I think it might be a little better if you do make a hard coded proc one day. Spuzzum even asked for this in 02 if I remamber right :P.

Technically, it is hard-coded -- they haven't built in a hard-coded interface, but it's a soft-coded interface to the hard-coded features.

I agree that making it entirely hard-coded would be a good idea, though.
In response to Spuzzum
Are there any other nifty hidden projects like that =]

My favorite part was the findtext(haystack, needle, ...)

Anyway thank you for revealing this feature.