ID:135603

I have recently seen ever increasing abuse of the Guest key, and I find this unnaceptable. I would like to suggest that the guest key be unusable by any person who already has a non-Guest key on BYOND.
Or, you can pagerban and ban them from your games.
I just disallow the guest key from connecting at all, and link them to the key creation page.
Something that can be dealt with by the programmer doesn't need to be dealt with by BYOND.

<code>mob/Login() if(src.key == "Guest") del(src)</code>
In response to Goku72
The guest key is there for people to try it out and not want to go bother making a whole key to play. So by doing that youd ruin the whole concept.
Vexonater wrote:
I have recently seen ever increasing abuse of the Guest key, and I find this unnaceptable. I would like to suggest that the guest key be unusable by any person who already has a non-Guest key on BYOND.

Yes, but how do you suggest they figure that out? Pretty much any method chosen would be able to be gotten around easily. It would also be a problem for public computers(eg library ones).
In response to InuTracy
InuTracy has it. I think that the guest key should only be available for those who don't already have BYOND keys.
In response to Vexonater
Post [link]
In response to Airjoe
Ah! A perpetual post loop!

~Kujila
In response to InuTracy
InuTracy wrote:
The guest key is there for people to try it out and not want to go bother making a whole key to play. So by doing that youd ruin the whole concept.

Yeah, because making your own key is such a hassle. </sarcasm>

Really though, if you want to ban Guest from your game, go ahead. Making a key is extremely simple. If they don't want to play enough to make a key, they didn't want to play bad enough. :P

[EDIT]
Changed "hassel" to "hassle". My mother's maiden name is Hassel, so it was a slip of the fingers. :P
[/EDIT]

~>Volte
In response to InuTracy
Well in this case it's a matter of the designer's choice: accessibility or security? You can't really have both.

Here's an idea: if you don't want to totally do away with guest access, code it in your game so the Guest key has access to character generation and in-game documentation, plus the start/newbie/training area (if such a thing exists) but cannot actually get into the game proper, and definitely doesn't have access to whatever global communication commands there may be.

This way, people can try before they buy, so to speak, without giving trolls a free pass to derail your game.
In response to Kujila
i would say Guest key should be banned off byond or cannot be used because i just entered a game today and they were spamming. and i have been in Guest key once but by an accident and there is no pager or hub.