ID:135611

The byond icons all look similiar at a glance. Any chance we can get some color differences between the different types of byond apps?

Primarily concerned with the difference between Dream Maker and Dream Seeker.

What about making the Dream Seeker icon have a different colored shirt or head.

The reason I'm asking for this is because I constantly have to squint my eyes at my task bar to see which one of the five byond apps is the dream maker.

- tsfreaks
Tsfreaks wrote:
The byond icons all look similiar at a glance. Any chance we can get some color differences between the different types of byond apps?

Primarily concerned with the difference between Dream Maker and Dream Seeker.

What about making the Dream Seeker icon have a different colored shirt or head.

The reason I'm asking for this is because I constantly have to squint my eyes at my task bar to see which one of the five byond apps is the dream maker.

- tsfreaks

may want to get glasses :(
Tsfreaks wrote:
...I constantly have to squint my eyes at my task bar to see which one of the five byond apps is the dream maker.

- tsfreaks

Then I suggest you get your eyes checked also. I can see them fine. The icons are different. One is a front view, the other is a view from the side, or looks like it.
In response to XzDoG
I knew I would get some lame replies if I used the word "squint". I don't really do that. It's that I have to make a point to look at the difference before I quickly change using the task bar. If it had a more noticeable difference, I wouldn't have to look so much as click. The higher some ones resolution, the worse it will get. On one of my dev machines, I run at 1080 x 1024 which is pretty standard for 20"+ screens. If I want to change to another application that is running (OneNote), I don't need to think about it, I just click on the different icon. When I want to change between seeker and maker, I have to pause and analyze all the different instances I have open before I click. This takes up a second or two each time. That should be reason enough.

- tsfreaks
In response to Tsfreaks
Oh no....1 second.....just use that one second, it takes me 1 second to go in my start panel and click it
There is enough negative response to this reply. I'll jump in with a bit of the positive.

I too make mistakes often when switching between windows when I have multiple Dream Seeker and Dream Maker windows up. I too constantly click on the wrong one or have to examine them for a moment since they are so similar. It doesn't waste a lot of time, but it is still annoying. If it takes five seconds to switch on half of my attempts that will waste well over an hour every week during a week of average, laid back coding. During intense coding times that might double or triple.

It's not a big deal, at least not to me. I am not the kind of person that looks for every shortcut for the sake of having an extra day or two of time put to good use during my life, however a slight change in the icons to make them a bit more distinguishable could not hurt.
In response to Tsfreaks
Tsfreaks wrote:
On one of my dev machines, I run at 1080 x 1024 which is pretty standard for 20"+ screens.

Solution, get a REAL resolution, standard even! Like, I don't know...800x600? =P
In response to Goku72
Goku72 wrote:
Tsfreaks wrote:
On one of my dev machines, I run at 1080 x 1024 which is pretty standard for 20"+ screens.

Solution, get a REAL resolution, standard even! Like, I don't know...800x600? =P

1024x768 is emerging as the standard these days.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
1024x768 is emerging as the standard these days.

NEVUR!
In response to Goku72
What about 300x200?
I've got 20/120 vision (nearsighted), my face is about four or five feet from the computer screen, and I've never had any problem distinguishing between the different BYOND icons. Besides, if you have so much of a problem, use ALT+TAB.
In response to Goku72
Goku72 wrote:
Tsfreaks wrote:

I'm guessing he actually meant 1280 x 1024, which is pretty common on larger monitors. I run 1152 x 864 on my 17" monitor, which is about as high as I can go and still see easily.

As to the original point, I'm all for options. I don't think it would be too tough to allow a couple of choices for icons. I could be wrong though. *shrugs* I wouldn't want them to spend a whole lot of effort on it.
You could always download a free icon editor, draw your own icon, and use one of those resource hacking programs to replace the program icon with your own. =)