ID:135628

Ive noticed alot of newbies are uploading hosting files as demos so they can distribute it and host their game, is this allowed or no?
XzDoG wrote:
Ive noticed alot of newbies are uploading hosting files as demos so they can distribute it and host their game, is this allowed or no?

I should think not. I kind of figured this would happen - but didn't want to say anything on the forums publicly (so atleast complete morons wouldn't notice). I think this will only generate into them revoking ALL file uploads, and if people keep abusing the system like they are currently, then I really think they should.
In response to Goku72
Or making all demos need to be reviewed before being allowed on the listings. So they can be deleted and the maker of said entry can be warned/banned.
In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:
Or making all demos need to be reviewed before being allowed on the listings. So they can be deleted and the maker of said entry can be warned/banned.

I think a lot of people are abusing this because they simply don't know how to acquire and use a free hosting service. This assessment is based on my personal experience helping half a dozen users with this process over the past couple of weeks. Something simple as zipping up the correct files, creating a free account on angelfire, uploading the zip and creating the new hub entry, is unknown to many.

I suggest hyperlinking a simple tutorial to the step 9 page for the game or other items for players options in the hub item creation wizard. It's not a full fix for the problem, but my guess is it would cut down on a large amount of abuse.
In response to Grei
It's not that the people don't know about it, they simply WANT to abuse the system because Dantom servers don't limit their bandwidth. Nobody wants to pay for a decent web host, so they try to get away with any kind of dirty scheme they can.
In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:

I think that would be for the best because ive seen atleast like 10 games that have uploaded game hosting files as demos.
In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:

I'd go a step further and require the review before anyone (besides reviewers) can download it. Anything short of that, and people will still be downloading unreviewed packages and eating BYOND's bandwidth.
In response to Shadowdarke
In response to Goku72
In response to XzDoG
In response to Scoobert
I peronsally think they should stop all uploads, just because of all the morons who abuse the system. I highly doubt they don't know how to upload to angelfire or geocities or the like, so that is no excuse. However, leave the currently uploaded. Some have left BYOND but kept their hub demos/libs alive, so deleting those would kill some demos/libs.

Damn idiots they are. They have to abuse, and make the rest of us lose.
In response to Airjoe
Airjoe wrote:
Damn idiots they are. They have to abuse, and make the rest of us lose.

The idiots abused the dime system as well.
In response to XzDoG
Heres another amazing one i found, a repeat offender
http://developer.byond.com/hub/LoaAsh/ Just look at every single one of his hub entries.

just goes to show you, people love to abuse the system. so can someone maybe disable it :)
In response to XzDoG
I will confess,I did upload source files to a demo.But it did get deleted.I will not do it again cause I will look into how to put zips on angelfire.But the way you all guys are saying it there is another way.What I did,was upload it to a demo but hide it from hub searches.And then on the real game I just linked it to that url.We need to look out for this too cause it's pretty sneaky.But I just wanted to confess my wrong doings.

-XxDohxX

PS:Never will I do it again.
PPS:http://games.byond.com/hub/Masterdan/GekisenLAN