ID:172669

I just got done making some recent changes to my coding, and when I tried to compile, I got this:

BYOND(338.860) Error: Error writing cache data to F:\Icon Ultima\Icon Ultima.rsc.
Vehicles.dm:132:error:'icons.dmi':cannot find file

'icons.dmi' is there, nearly scared the crap outta me since most of my game's icons reside in that file, but why is it giving me this error?
isnt it quotes around the file and the (') around states?
In response to N1ghtW1ng
Nae, single quote around icon files, double quotes around icon states.
In response to Enigmaster2002
yup ur right i just checked in my game...
Simple, logout of your game - THEN compile. =P
In response to Goku72
I'm not in my game, that's why this is a problem.

Also, I found out it only does this when I clean compile.
Now it refuses to load the icons in my game.

BYOND(338.860) BUG: failed to read icon file 'icons.dmi' from cache (687822 bytes written on Sat Apr 10 16:50:10 2004)BYOND(338.860) BUG: failed to read icon file 'icons.dmi' from cache (687822 bytes written on Sat Apr 10 16:50:10 2004)BYOND(338.860) BUG: failed to read icon file 'icons.dmi' from cache (687822 bytes written on Sat Apr 10 16:50:10 2004)BYOND(338.860) BUG: failed to read icon file 'icons.dmi' from cache (687822 bytes written on Sat Apr 10 16:50:10 2004)BYOND(338.860) BUG: failed to read icon file 'icons.dmi' from cache (687822 bytes written on Sat Apr 10 16:50:10 2004)
Then, that means you don't have the actual icons. You only have them stored, or rather DID have them in the rsc.
In response to Goku72
So, you're saying the icon file that I see right here in my object tree doesn't exist?
Then you MUST be running your game, man. I don't see any other way it'd give you that error. If the .rsc is in use, and you edit some icon files, it'll give you funky errors like that when you compile while running the game.
In response to Goku72
I know that because it's happened before, but I'm NOT running my game, the icon file DOES exist, I cleaned out my BYOND cache and I can't think of what else to do or what's wrong with it.
Enigmaster2002 wrote:
I know that because it's happened before, but I'm NOT running my game, the icon file DOES exist, I cleaned out my BYOND cache and I can't think of what else to do or what's wrong with it.

But did you clean it out while BYOND was running? That wouldn't help you much.

If this problem is persisting for you, you need to shut down Dream Seeker, Dream Daemon, and heck, even shut down Dream Maker. Once everything is down and byond.dll is unloaded, opening DM back up and compiling should work.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I did. About an hour after the original post, I closed Maker and Seeker, cleaned out the cache afterwards, deleted my game's rsc file, and restarted the computer. I tried to compile again and this error still persists.

Should I uninstall and reinstall BYOND? Also, by doing this, does it remove the BYOND/bin directory, or would I have to back that up first? (This is where I keep all my freelance coding projects.)
"99% of computer or computer related problems are between the keyboard and the chair."

Okay, this only happens when I'm compiling this one project, but why this error would just start at random is beyond me. Any ideas on what could possibly be causing this?
mob
FGE
Flee
icon = 'tiles.dmi' //This is the line it points out as an error.
icon_state = "flee"
see_invisible = 100
name = "ST-13A Flee"
verb
Get_In()
set src in oview(1)
GetInFGE(usr,src)
Get_Out()
set src in oview(0)
GetOutFGE(usr,src)

Once again, the Dream Maker error messages:
BYOND(338.860) Error: Error writing cache data to F:\Icon Ultima\Icon Ultima.rsc.
Vehicles.dm:132:error:'tiles.dmi':cannot find file
Have you tried moving the current 'tiles.dmi' file out of the byond folder and making a new 'tiles.dmi', becuase the current one may have an error in it that stops byond from registering it during the compilation process.
In response to Lazyboy
Finally, I can continue coding.

What would cause such an error? Is it my fault or is it something that just happens?
Possibly the icon file is getting corrupted somehow. Are you able to open, edit, and save it in Dream Maker?

I wouldn't recommend having most of your icons in a single file - one corruption error in it and you're screwed. My projects usually end up with dozens of icon files (which is fine as long as I take the time to categorise them into folders, otherwise I can never find anything =P).
In response to Crispy
Yeah, I could edit and save the file by itself, only when compiling it gave me that error.

I was scared out of my mind when this started, because over 500 of my game's icons reside in that one file.
Enigmaster2002 wrote:
I was scared out of my mind when this started, because over 500 of my game's icons reside in that one file.

Please seperate all of those icon states now. It will save you alot of grief and work in the future in case of something *BAD* happening. (File deletion, corruption, etc)
In response to Lazyboy
I suppose I should have taken Murphy's Law into account before I started cramming all these icons in there, eh?
Page: 1 2