ID:188716

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ List_of_common_misspellings_in_English

I was particularly surprised by "publicly", "ulterior", "inoculate", "minuscule", and "ukulele".
What's surprising, the error or the correction? What surprises me is the listing for "etc."... I'd wager far, far more people put "ect." then either of the mistakes they list.
In response to Hedgemistress
Hedgemistress wrote:
What's surprising, the error or the correction? What surprises me is the listing for "etc."... I'd wager far, far more people put "ect." then either of the mistakes they list.

The corrections. I've always spelled them as "publically", "innoculate", "miniscule", and "ukelele". (Going over my writing for the last little while, it seems like I actually learned "ulterior" elsewhere, so I guess that's only a surprise because I forgot I spell it right... =P)

In any case, it's a Wiki, so feel free to edit it. ;-)
Hrm. I was under the impression that "publically" was an older spelling that was getting phased out because the -al kind of tripped up the word. Didn't realize it's actually an incorrect spelling.

Under "similar", a more common misspelling than "similiar" is "simular".

We need a list like this for expressions, too. I get so weary of "should of".

Lummox JR
My favorite is "hypocracy" (literally, "rule by the deficient")--seems a pretty apt description for the U.S. government.
In response to Leftley
Bah-dum TING!

A few of those words surprised me too, like "minuscule".
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen it with exc, or ecx. before. Well, at least now I know it isn't ect.
Does anyone know why it's spelt etc anyway? Ect seems to make much more sense.
In response to DarkView
Have you ever heard it pronounced aloud? It's short for "et cetera", Latin which roughly means "and so on."
Ahhh, there is my mistake. I pronounce it wrong, curse my sexy man voice! I thought it was short for "ek cetera".
In response to DarkView
Sexy? No.

And yes, many many many people say "ect", i use too until recently. >.>;
In response to Karasu Kami
Have you ever heard DarkView's voice? Me neither. But not having heard it, you can hardly insult him about it. =P

A lot of people say "ek cetera", it's a very common mistake. I've made it more than once myself (often without realising).
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
Have you ever heard DarkView's voice? Me neither. But not having heard it, you can hardly insult him about it. =P

A lot of people say "ek cetera", it's a very common mistake. I've made it more than once myself (often without realising realizing).

While we're on the subject =P
In response to DarkView
I've talked to people (online) that say "ect.", and they said that that's the way they were taught.
In response to Goku72
It's called "non-American English spelling", thank you very much.
In response to Crispy
Still wrong, after all...who's gonna argue with America!? We may then subject your country to UN WMD inspections >.> MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
In response to Goku72
UN WMD inspections? We're good at those! We've found tons of unweapons of mass destruction in Iraq!
Now, you're just taking it out of context =P But, I meant it as sending UN inspectors =P
In response to Goku72
Goku72 wrote:
Now, you're just taking it out of context =P But, I meant it as sending UN inspectors commandos masquerading as UN inspectors =P

Fixed. :)
I was particularly surprised by "publicly", "ulterior", "inoculate", "minuscule", and "ukulele".

"Ukulele" surprised me. I'm likely to mess up "accommodate", "diphtheria", "millennium", and "vacuum" if I don't think about them. I will have to mention diphtheria more frequently in the future to make good use of this knollege.