ID:153526

I am currently working on an economical game and was wondering if you had any ideas to make it good.

Also in the future I would love to see more economy based games on the hub.

-NTCS
I'd like to see a stock system and/or a stock market. That would be neat if there was stocks you can buy and sell to gain more money. But what would be the objective in the game?

~Officer Falcon~
In response to Officer Falcon
Build a monopoly and keep it.

-NTCS
In response to Neotaku
Here are SOME ideas....

Haveing a economy based on players playing it is a bad idea, cause they ALL want to build and sell, and then they don't have anyone to buy from them.

Make a NPC system. Make it so during a certian time or day, year or month, some things are more valuable then others ect. To make it more intresting have it so its up all the time, and even if your not online things can effect you, like loosing or gaining money.

(I used to play a online kingdom game where even if you were offline people could attack you, damn them!)

This would make it much more intresting and realistc. Like when my buddie from Shopko was telling me how during this time of year, Shopko stocks wayyy too much x-mas stuff cause there is a higher demand.
In response to Shades
Shades wrote:
Here are SOME ideas....

Haveing a economy based on players playing it is a bad idea, cause they ALL want to build and sell, and then they don't have anyone to buy from them.

Only if building and selling is the only possible thing to do. If entrepreneurialship is a separate trade from adventuring, then there would be some people who would choose to be entrepreneurs, and some people who would choose to be adventurers.

Make a NPC system. Make it so during a certian time or day, year or month, some things are more valuable then others ect. To make it more intresting have it so its up all the time, and even if your not online things can effect you, like loosing or gaining money.

Nope -- you should never gain or lose money while not playing the game. What you *should* do is lose or gain less tangible things; having your notoriety drop if you're a career crook (going into hiding to let the heat pass), doing odd jobs around town to earn a subsistence-level income (and gaining the relevant skills by proxy), etc.

(I used to play a online kingdom game where even if you were offline people could attack you, damn them!)

What were they thinking? That's a very bad thing to put in a CRPG. It's bad enough if you get killed while playing a game... but if you were actually killed while not playing the game, it'd bring an even greater sense of hopelessness. Why play if you're going to lose?

This would make it much more intresting and realistc. Like when my buddie from Shopko was telling me how during this time of year, Shopko stocks wayyy too much x-mas stuff cause there is a higher demand.

Of course. Almost all stores switch over to Christmas shopping the day after Halloween.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
What were they thinking? That's a very bad thing to put in a CRPG.

What exactly is a CRPG?

Anyway, it can be rather entertaining to have your stuff continue while your offline. If the game is set at the right pace (2 game days = 1 real day usually works).
It adds a extra element when you have to plan for your offline time. StarKingdoms.com does offline raiding very well.
The problem is that you have to be a lot more then a casual player to enjoy it.
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
Spuzzum wrote:
What were they thinking? That's a very bad thing to put in a CRPG.

What exactly is a CRPG?

Computer Role-Playing Game. (Or Computer Roll-Playing Game, whichever floats your boat.)

Anyway, it can be rather entertaining to have your stuff continue while your offline. If the game is set at the right pace (2 game days = 1 real day usually works).
It adds a extra element when you have to plan for your offline time. StarKingdoms.com does offline raiding very well.

It really depends on the game. But it shouldn't be possible to lose all your game progress just because you forgot to click the "Defend while I'm offline" button (or whatever). That's an extreme example, but you get the idea. =P
In response to Officer Falcon
I'm making a game the has stocks in it. It's called Kahnah there is only a crappy version of this game online right now. What happens in the game is player oriented. There is absolutelly no NPC's in this game. The new version of the game should be comming out in a month or 2.
In response to Shades
Use the uplink system. Your actions affect the stock of a company yet however other things do too. (Also those other things CAN be random fluctuations)

You can also look at Railroad Tycoon II for a good example of a somewhat 'sophisticated' economical system.
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:

This depends. If your avatar or kingdom or whatnot only persists offline for the sake of letting other players attack you, and staying offline means sitting around with a "Kill Me" sign on your back, then yeah, you'd better be prepared to check up on the game ten or more times per day.

On the other hand, if significant portions of the game are automated and your character-entity continues to operate at a reasonably effective rate when you're offline, then it gives players a lot more freedom to be able to participate in the game without needing to spend lots of time doing it--good news for the casual player.
In response to Leftley
Yeah that's a good point. It helps bridge the gap between the guy who spends 20+ hours a day playing, and the guy who logs on every second day for a 20 minute checkup.
The thing is that you pretty much have to have a slow paced game, meaning you have to play for an hour to do even a little.
Although I guess when it comes down to it some games just aren't for casual gamers.