ID:153530

Ok. I'm working on a table top RPG, and I'm just wondering should the Game Master be able to be a character aswell?
Depends.

I'd say probably not, unless you're absolutely sure it won't cause any problems with the game.
In response to Crispy
I have been needing to ask this for a long time... What exactly is tabletop and pen and paper RPGS?
In response to Kunark
Basically a small scale console RPG, played on a table top. Also instead of the computer controlling everything with AI, you have a Game Master.
They could be considered very complex board games.
In response to Kunark
I have been needing to ask this for a long time... What exactly is tabletop and pen and paper RPGS?

Think back to when you were little and pretended to be someone else whether it be a super hero or character you admired. Pen and paper RPGs are pretty much the same concept except you add in structure and rules to limit you(it's not fun if you always win!). The DM(Dungeon Master) or GM(Game Master) is the story teller who sets up the scenarios for the players and tells the players what they see, hear, taste, smell, and feel. The players tell the DM what they want to do and either through a set rule or the DMs choice an outcome to that action is decided. If the action is trivial the DM probably will just let you automatically suceed. The strictness of the rules depends a lot on the DM and what rule set you're going by if any.

Pen and paper RPGs are a lot of fun if you have a good DM :).
In response to DarkView
Basically a small scale console RPG

Small scale? I think it's a lot larger in size since a human can handle any situation a player runs into whereas a computer can't. Therefore in a pen and paper RPG the player has unlimited freedom to try anything. The key word being try since it's up to the rules/DM to decide if you actually suceed or fail and how you suceed or fail. A human DM can also come up with script on the fly where a computer can not. Therefore you can actually have interesting conversations which can depend largely upon past actions with NPCs and what you say has a larger impact on what happins. Console RPGs and even computer RPGs have a miniscule scope compared to a pen and paper RPG with a good DM.
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:

I consider them two foreign concepts.

In my terms, a tabletop RPG is a game which is played with figures, game pieces, or other representations of 3D space on a surface. Rulebooks generally exist, and are usually oriented towards movement and combat.

A pen and paper RPG, on the other hand, generally relies less on movement and combat and more on concept. Most pen and paper RPGs are played without a board at all -- players are simply expected to imagine the 3D space their characters are in. Minimalist pen and paper RPGs are played ONLY with a pen and pieces of paper -- more extensive pen and paper RPGs may include dice and guidebooks.

Essentially, the fun of the experience is in getting together with friends, while having a mutual project which you can all contribute to limitlessly with it never being too incomplete and never being too complete. The dice, the rules, and all of that are just toys for you and your friends to play with.

The easiest way to define a tabletop RPG is as a never-ending board game without a prefabricated game board. The easiest way to define a pen and paper RPG is as an interactive novel with no terminus.
In response to Spuzzum
For what it's worth, I think the term "pen-and-paper RPG" is more commonly used to differentiate between computer RPG's and the non-computer kind. I'd call the axis you describe "rules-heavy vs. rules-light" (or, as "The Window" calls it, second vs. third generation).

Right now the RPG I plan to pay the most attention to, when I have the chance, is Pinnacle's "Savage Worlds" -- it looks like it strikes an excellent balance between detail and efficiency. It doesn't hurt that they made a good impression on me with Deadlands (which may be evident when I finally get back to Hiawathaland) and Weird Wars (even though it was based on the heinous d20 system).
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:

Think back to when you were little and pretended to be someone else whether it be a super hero or character you admired. Pen and paper RPGs are pretty much the same concept except you add in structure and rules to limit you(it's not fun if you always win!). The DM(Dungeon Master) or GM(Game Master) is the story teller who sets up the scenarios for the players and tells the players what they see, hear, taste, smell, and feel. The players tell the DM what they want to do and either through a set rule or the DMs choice an outcome to that action is decided. If the action is trivial the DM probably will just let you automatically suceed. The strictness of the rules depends a lot on the DM and what rule set you're going by if any.

Pen and paper RPGs are a lot of fun if you have a good DM :).

Yeah it is, i play AD&D (Second addition) every wednesday, and monday.....and in the holidays :)
In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:
For what it's worth, I think the term "pen-and-paper RPG" is more commonly used to differentiate between computer RPG's and the non-computer kind.

Yep, I know. But I made certain to clarify that "I consider them[...]". So pbbbbth. =)
In response to Theodis
/me wants a virtual reality thingy with nerual links so a dm could actualy run a console like rpg.

That would be sweet
In response to Scoobert
/me wants a virtual reality thingy with nerual links so a dm could actualy run a console like rpg.

That would be sweet

Whatever happined to just using your imagination :P? No matter how much technology you have your best resource will always be your imagination. If you don't have a good one role playing will never be fun no matter how many extra gadgets you use.
In response to Theodis
I love D&D =D

exept for this on time. We had just started a game (AD&D) with my dad as the DM. we ran into some fire beetles....
3 I think. 1 attacked me and rolled 3 20's in a Row! I was instantly obliterated and engulfed in fire ='(

Besides that one time Dungeons And Dragons Rule!
In response to Theodis
Well, this would anhance the fun, the DM would still be using his imagination to create the game, the players would still be using it to problem solve and come up with unforseen ideas.
Depends how you are storing this all.... A GM should likely be able to hold lots of characters at once...

Also, let the GM proxy to NPCs so as not to always be:

GM: Joe laughs "hello mage"

instead

actas "Joe"
emote laughs
say hello mage

kind of thing..