ID:189145

Every game that's been published is literally a fan game or something like it.

This isn't a hit on all the DBZ games, it's a question, actually... Who's working on an original game, with an original plot? When I first came to BYOND and saw the Games Live page, I was all like "whoa, what's with all the fan games? Is that all you can do?" But I was thinking that it'd successfully change over time, but I was wrong. Leftley, Skysaw, Wildblood, LostRealm(Lord Raven), and Volte(with his new rpg) are the only people I can name with brief browsing.
Camaro wrote:
This isn't a hit on all the DBZ games, it's a question, actually... Who's working on an original game, with an original plot? When I first came to BYOND and saw the Games Live page, I was all like "whoa, what's with all the fan games? Is that all you can do?" But I was thinking that it'd successfully change over time, but I was wrong. Leftley, Skysaw, Wildblood, LostRealm(Lord Raven), and Volte(with his new rpg) are the only people I can name with brief browsing.

I suggest taking a deeper look, then. There are plenty of 'original' games on BYOND; it's just the fangames that get hosted the most. It's unfortunate, yet logical based on the average BYONDer's age/maturity.
Im working on an original RPG...
In response to Dession
Is it going to be finished? Most projects get scraped for..

• Total lost of interest.
  • Bug they couldn't figure out.
  • New project
Well... I'm working on a semi-original RPG (Anime stuff, but an original storyline) and also working ona customizable Text MUD engine...
In response to Camaro
Im going to try to stick with this one I have some ideas from my other games and have some great original ideas to put in it.
Kades is perfectly original, though whether it'll ever be playable is another question... And I think Nadrew is working on an RPG, but I don't know how/if that's going since Xooxer was his artist.
What?! My farting spiders and people to coax into a starfish position are not enough for you?! ;) There are plenty of original games, just not original RPGs.

I think you mean "setting" instead of "plot". Don't look for original plots in (multiplayer) RPGs. That an overlying plot exists at all depends on the game's creator. Some don't agree that one should.

I'm working on a multiplayer RPG at the moment with an original setting (Daemon AWE), but it's not ready for much more than razzing Flick about his computer. I have most of the graphics done, or at least a fast pipeline for future graphics. I have a lot of the interface done. I'm taking my time with the actual game logic. (It's a boring shell at the moment.)

I think I'm going to work on an RPG boardgame before I finish it. I've been itching to make one for the past few days, but I'm trying to be a good boy and finish my big update for Wrangle and Warp first.
Every game that's been published is literally a fan game or something like it.

It's quite simple the simpler the game the less work there is. So it's inevitable you'll get a lot of cheaply made games.

The problem here is many people are trying to make some epic game that will be huge and revolutionary. Even if these people manage to get a lot done they're probably going to run into many of the inherent limitations of BYOND and computer systems themselves. I highly douby many if any of these projects get done.

Even my own projects that I try to keep as simple as possible without ruining the initial concept prove to end up being more workt han I have planned.

So I think in the future you'll just see more games like they are now.

But anyway my current project is a dungeon crawl sorta like the old CRPGs :). I don't know if I'll ever finish it but I might.
In the corner over there.
I'm working on Crystlex Advance. Basically it's a sequal to a game I never got around to releasing. It's a monster battle game, but with a twist.
Instead of having monstsers get stronger and stronger after battles or something, the monsters are constantly at the same stats.
You play mini-games (Jobs) to get money, which you can spend on new items, new monsters, ect.
So you could potentially win any fight from the second you enter the game, however it's unlikily you'll beat a guy with a full inventory and 5 powerful monsters.
Check out the demo if your interested. It doesn't display much right now, other then the battle system. Alpha v0.4 should be much more entertaining.
After I get a little substance in the alpha versions I'll stop releasing and wait until the beta testing stage.
In response to Camaro
Don't forget lack of talent. Heaps of people quit because they can't do one aspect of the game (Usually icons or programming).
Im starting on a new game, mainly shootem up with a bit of the feel of rts.

This game is a game of strategy, with a touch of adventure added in. Missions will be given by Commanders and each teams/company’s base and these orders will be carried out by either squads or by single individuals. This game is going to be multiplayer only so A.I. may be included but only if it is needed.

Players will gain skills and rank as they achieve more missions and will be able to train their way to the top. New companies may be made if a company decides to split and there are too many leaders wanting a top position.

Teams will also be hired by other companies as MERCS and serve with them on tactical missions. Many weapons and other species will be found on other planets that they may visit.

For more information see www.paradigm-shift.staghosting.com
What about Kunny? He has about 4+ original games up.