ID:136021

I was thinking, to avoid any more problems with people bringing up old posts, you could simply disallow them to do so if the post is too old (This would cause problems on a few topics that keep getting brought up say off the second page, once, going back, then being brought up again)... So even possibly have it check the page, and if it is not one one of the first 4 pages, don't let them reply.
THat is a good idea. I would rather say at least 1 week before taking away the reply button though. Certain people are forced to give up BYOND for a couple weeks (including myself for the time being, I'm on vacation and have no computers to use. Right now I'm using my dad's buisness laptop, and I'm lucky to be here right now). Anyway, this would help on some topics, but not all.

<-Airjoe->

(feel free to totally ignore this post, because I'm tired and confused and have been away from BYOND for toooooo long)
Kunark wrote:
I was thinking, to avoid any more problems with people bringing up old posts, you could simply disallow them to do so if the post is too old (This would cause problems on a few topics that keep getting brought up say off the second page, once, going back, then being brought up again)... So even possibly have it check the page, and if it is not one one of the first 4 pages, don't let them reply.

Going by pages is a horrendous idea, because on a busy forum four pages might mean 6 hours ago.

But even checking by age I don't think is wise. There are occasional legitimate uses for necromancy. The illegitimate ones, like some moron dredging up a year-old flamewar, we can simply delete.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
There are occasional legitimate uses for necromancy.

A prime example is when you're replying to your own thread after a few weeks or months to state that you have, in fact, solved the issue yourself.
In response to Spuzzum
Or even making more sense if you solved it and post a detailed and helpful explanation of it. Bonus points if the thread contained even more ideas for it in order to justify bringing the thread back instead of just making a new one!

Here is an interesting suggestion =]: A thread that is over say 15 items down auto collapses to 2 items the first is thread name//author. The second is a line saying This thread is x items long. This way you don't always have to go into topic view to see more than one thread on a page. (for at least some boards)
In response to Exadv1
And on that note, Topic View should list the number of replies, and the last person to reply, next to the topic name. =)