In response to Lil'T
Actually, "homonym" and "homophone" are synonyms.

From dictionary.com:

homonym: One of two or more words that have the same sound and often the same spelling but differ in meaning, such as bank (embankment) and bank (place where money is kept).

homophone: One of two or more words, such as night and knight, that are pronounced the same but differ in meaning, origin, and sometimes spelling.

Sounds pretty much the same to me! You can almost paraphrase one entry to the other entry.

Besides, I was correcting spelling. Not word usage. =P
In response to Crispy
homonym = same spelling and sound, different meaning
homophone = different spelling and meaning, but same sound

I think.
In response to Dareb
The other is the new Tomb Raider game, about the Tomb Raider chick.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
I don't see why not. Hey look at all those zeta, fast and the furios, or building games.
In response to THE Brama Bull
Did you know the soviets tried to assasinate the american counterpart that made tetris? There was a programmer in russia and one in the US that made it. So the commies got really mad. Now look how many tetris rips there are. Blame the commies!
In response to Jinjo21
Wow! I saw thaton TV! dunno what channel it was...probobly like discovery or sometthing like The Learning Channel (note: I ONLY WATCHED BECAUSE OF THAT SHOW. I HATE DISCOVERY)
In response to Dareb
They can't be copyrighted but they can be trademarked.
In response to OneFishDown
I wasn't entirely sure myself, so that's why I looked them up. And according to dictionary.com, they mean the same thing. =)

I only learnt about homonyms at school, not homophones. Maybe "homophones" just isn't in the Aussie English dialect. =)
In response to Crispy
I'll explain... Let's break the two words down into their components...

Homo nym

Homo phone

The word "homo" translates to "same"... The word "nym" translates to "word" ("synonym" means "similar word" as a bonus example..lol) and "phone" translates to "sound"...

So:

Homonym = "same word"

Homophone = "same sound"

So in essence, they are two different concepts... The first applies to words that are spelled the same (Dictionary.com is wrong...lol well, not necessarily wrong, since I imagine that some words that are considered homonyms may be spelled differently, through things like archaic holdovers, dialect changes, etc... but rest assured, the vast majority of homonyms are spelled the same) While the second refers only to those words that sound alike, but are spelled differently... And of course, in both cases, the meanings are different...

"Bow" (decorative ribbon) and "Bow" (bend at the waist) are homonyms...

"Bow" (bend at the waist) and "bough" (tree branch) are homophones...

So, there is a difference...regardless of what Dictionary.com or the Australian school system says...lol
In response to Crispy
Oh sorry then >.<
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
Okay, so there is a difference. Not enough to correct someone over though, really. =)
Page: 1 2