ID:189921

Today i bought C++ for dummies, well sofar it has been a big dissapountment. For one, it comes with a dos based compiler that doesnt like winxp. And two, its totaly dos based c++, no windows c++. So although im learning how to make dos programs, i didnt want dos, i wanted windows.Dos based c++ is a lot easyer than windows, thats why i was going to get the book. I am now angry, and even angryer that i didnt save the recept.
C++ for windows and dos is the same language. I think learning it with simple dos command prompt programs would be easier than trying to learn how to use c++ for windows programs and learning the language itself at once. You can also find lots of free c++ compilers, some of those would probably work better with winxp than what you have. There's lots of free tutorials on making windows c++ programs on the internet too.
Scoobert wrote:
Today i bought C++ for dummies, well sofar it has been a big dissapountment. For one, it comes with a dos based compiler that doesnt like winxp. And two, its totaly dos based c++, no windows c++. So although im learning how to make dos programs, i didnt want dos, i wanted windows.Dos based c++ is a lot easyer than windows, thats why i was going to get the book. I am now angry, and even angryer that i didnt save the recept.

Most compilers are command line based, but if you want a fancy graphical IDE you're going to have to pay a few hundred dollars. You should also be able to write windows apps by linking with the appropriat lib files and haveing a WinMain rather than a main() function although you want to strongly understand C before working on a windows app since the windows API is large and poorly documented. After you have a good grasp on C then you probably want to buy a book detailing the Windows API a good one I used is Programming Windows by Charles Petzold.
In response to Theodis
I am using dev C++ by bloodshed, im just disapointed in the compiler it came with, it was also really hard to install, they couldnt have just made it as easy as "dbl click install and run" oh no. They also gave poor documentation on how to install it. Dev C++ bloodshed is free and windows based.
In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:
I am using dev C++ by bloodshed, im just disapointed in the compiler it came with, it was also really hard to install, they couldnt have just made it as easy as "dbl click install and run" oh no. They also gave poor documentation on how to install it. Dev C++ bloodshed is free and windows based.

Borland gives out thier compiler for free which is good and ANSI compliant. You can grab it at http://www.borland.com/products/downloads/ download_cbuilder.html but be warned it's only a compiler and linker no editor or IDE so you have to do everything from a command line :). So if you don't like the compiler you have you can use the Borland one.
I reccomend you get Microsoft Visual C++, that is what I got.
In response to Kunark
Report on the book so far, chapters 1-5 totaly worthless, at least for someone who knows DM at all.
In response to Scoobert
Well it is a for Dummies book. So they assume you dont know DM, or any other programming languages.
In response to Kunark
Kunark just a quick question how long did it take you to understand the IDE?
I can't quite understand all the menues. (they never end)
I can't quite figure out how to compile the Half-Life DLL's =[. Too many screens - not enough easily accessible documentations. (I can't find compiling dlls anywhere =[)

It's really worth the cost but very overwhelming.
In response to Exadv1
I quit trying to learn C++ because I couldn't find a free 3D graphics utility, so I have no idea :P

The best thing I was able to make was a "Run" utility.