In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
Kunark wrote:
Verant sucks the credit cards of people clean

No argument there.

for things that shouldn't cost money at all

like?

--Like the name change service they have... Something like that, the computer can do and doesn't even need a GM to do it... Of course you would need to pay in say pp, but real money? no

they really give certain casters a very unfair advantage,

like?

--Like necromancers and wizards can just mana burn an enemy to death (necros actually don't even need to do that), then wait not too much time at all for their mana to recharge, when people like warriors (like my main character) who eather have to be EXTREMELY twinked, or else they gotta group, have to wait like 30 min after every single kill to kill another.

it takes way too long to level a character,

Well of course you'd want people to stick around. If people got 65 within a day, how many players do you think Everquest would have? Besides which, some of us actually like a challenge. It takes no more than a week for a player to get to 30-40 untwinked with the recent zones put into the game.
You can level from 1 to 65 untwinked in 3 months. Some people go from 1 to 65 in a month or less, with slightly twinked melee gear.

--Yeah, with only like 3 classes... All other classes it takes absolutely FOREVER to get to 65 considering how hard it is for some classes to solo. Even twinked gear doesn't help enough.
and it's way too easy to lose your corpse and have it so you cannot get it without the help of an extremely high level guild

An example? The only places I can think of are Plane of Fear, Plane of Hate, Plane of Mischief, and if you are dead in any of those zones you WILL have a guild to go get it for you(Unless you are a scout bound there. Tough luck. Death loop)

--Of course the plains, but places you go in say a group or solo for experience, and then have a mishap and have everyone die in the middle of them is an example. Some places like this are Velks (lower dogs) and Greigs End.

Necromancer's can summon your corpse for 80pp. If your in a zone high enough to lose your corpse past a large number of very high level monsters, your high enough to either know someone who knows a high enough necromancer(39+), or be in a guild with one.

Im just curious, because some of those complaints seem a bit odd(I've heard em all. Agree with most of em. But not those).

--The thing is, is if you are in a far off area where no one goes, it can sometimes be quite hard to get a corpse summon, let alone a rez. An example of this is when we tried to take out the horse-looking sarnak in the bottom of Kaesora with 3 people at a lower level, and we had a small incident where we were jumped and everyone died. We couldn't get our corpses till the next day when another guild's 51+ cleric was amazingly in there at the bottom (thanks to my constant searching of the "who" command :P)

Anyways, I stopped playing EQ last year because it's too much of a waste of life, as with all the popular MMORPGs.

Bye bye, Ulrech Goreblade, warrior of Tarrew Marr :P
In response to Alathon

Well of course you'd want people to stick around. If people got 65 within a day, how many players do you think Everquest would have? Besides which, some of us actually like a challenge. It takes no more than a week for a player to get to 30-40 untwinked with the recent zones put into the game.

How does the length of time it takes you to level up change the challenge :P? ZAngband is much tougher than most games and I've managed to get to level 15(level 50 is the max) with one kill and it really didn't help much other than speeding up my initial start a bit. Making the leveling up process slow is only a cheap way of adding gameplay time. That was my biggest gripe with Everquest. The only three hours I spent playing was killing rats and bats for 3 hours only to get a few levels. This is way too painfully slow. And even if it takes a long time to get higher levels the first 10 or so levels should go by quickly so the player can get onto doing more interesting and a larger variety of things.
In response to Dareb
Of course, you HAVE claimed intellectual superiority over the majority of the BYOND community, and we've yet to see that as well.
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
--Like the name change service they have... Something like that, the computer can do and doesn't even need a GM to do it... Of course you would need to pay in say pp, but real money? no

But the computer can't do it. It's done manually by GM's. It's an extra feature, why shouldn't they make you pay? It's also due to another reason. Having it free encourages bad attitudes. If you could just change your name, why not go ninja loot some big dragon, change your name, and no one would know. I would quit the game if it was free, because you would see an EXTREME rise in bad behavior from probably 60% or more of the players.

--Like necromancers and wizards can just mana burn an enemy to death (necros actually don't even need to do that), then wait not too much time at all for their mana to recharge, when people like warriors (like my main character) who eather have to be EXTREMELY twinked, or else they gotta group, have to wait like 30 min after every single kill to kill another.

No, they can't. A wizard may only manaburn a monster once every FIVE minutes. As in, only one manaburn may land every five minutes. It also depletes the wizards mana pool completely, which means they are defenseless. It's a virtually useless ability now. Lifeburn is nearly as useless. It has the same cap, and drains the Necromancer's life. Wow, great, you did 4000 damage to a dragon. Watch as it hits you once and you die.

As for solo ability. Well of course some can solo better than others. Warriors are a grouping class. Grouping is much, much, much, much more valuable once you get to 55+ and in Planes of Power. As in, many times better. Not to mention, soloing is EXTREMELY boring. Take it from someone who soloed 50 of his 56 levels. Infact, your even wrong about who soloes best.

Enchanters, Necromancer, Shaman, Mage, Wizard in that order. And what price do they pay? They aren't wanted in groups(The exception being shamans and enchanters). Again, of course someone is going to be able to solo better than others.

If everyone could solo from level 1 to level 65, what incentive is there to group? Absolutely none.

--Yeah, with only like 3 classes... All other classes it takes absolutely FOREVER to get to 65 considering how hard it is for some classes to solo. Even twinked gear doesn't help enough.

How about not? Let me list the classes that can do that:

All classes - Beastlord

I don't think Beastlord can, because they are still not recognized for their power, and they aren't as powerful as they should be.

You seem to be overestimating the power of soloing. Soloing is utterly boring, and NOT better than groups at 60+, and only just as good at 50-59(Where its extremely difficult, and a single mistake can negate an entire days experience).

--Of course the plains, but places you go in say a group or solo for experience, and then have a mishap and have everyone die in the middle of them is an example. Some places like this are Velks (lower dogs) and Greigs End.

If you have a group, you should be able to get your corpse back with the help of the group. If you can't, other people will help you. When Velks was actually a worthwhile experience zone, there was always people there who'd help. Why are you grinding exp in Grieg's End? its a baad zone, except for raids.

--The thing is, is if you are in a far off area where no one goes, it can sometimes be quite hard to get a corpse summon, let alone a rez. An example of this is when we tried to take out the horse-looking sarnak in the bottom of Kaesora with 3 people at a lower level, and we had a small incident where we were jumped and everyone died. We couldn't get our corpses till the next day when another guild's 51+ cleric was amazingly in there at the bottom (thanks to my constant searching of the "who" command :P)

Well of course! If your way too low for a zone, and venture far in, in a dungeon too, its going to take some time getting your corpse back. Should it be easy to recover your corpse if you walk into the middle of a depopped Temple of Veeshan(Full of level 65+ Dragons), and then it pops and you die? Not really.

In fact, the point is totally mute now. Planes of Power zones all have a Graveyard, where your corpse appears in after 10 minutes of dying, and it cannot be dragged from it. The GY is always right next to the zone in. Presto, no corpse problems, ever.

Anyways, I stopped playing EQ last year because it's too much of a waste of life, as with all the popular MMORPGs.

Bye bye, Ulrech Goreblade, warrior of Tarrew Marr :P

True there, its a big time drain. Im having trouble devoting myself to it as well at the time, but thats mainly because my social life is picking up, as is the school work(Exams coming up!).

Just seems like you went to some bad places far out in the middle of nowhere, and had a few bad days in a row. Been there, took a 4 month break. Was stuck at level 30-33 for half a year.

If you ever get back into it, I suggest trying other classes. I always find warrior dull. Mayby try a spellcaster, or hybrid =)
In response to Alathon
Well, your list of best solo casters in order might not be the right list... In our server Necros are the best, for Enchanters just never do solo, then the next that are always soloing, are wizards, but I guess that is just on our server.

Yes I started a Necro so I would have a good grouping class when groups are available (warrior) and a good solo when they arn't (necro) but with my warrior, it would take me a whole day just to find 1 experience group, which usually was crappy exp. I stopped when he turned 52 and had a bit of extra experience, then played a necro to 28 and quit for now, and probably for good.

[EDIT] Maybe not! I just got an e-mail for 30 days of free EQ :P but I wont in the summer again :P
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
Well, your list of best solo casters in order might not be the right list... In our server Necros are the best, for Enchanters just never do solo, then the next that are always soloing, are wizards, but I guess that is just on our server.

Nope, this is pretty global. It also depends what you call "best soloer". If you mean able to grind the highest amount of experience possible in a given period of time, then yes until 65, then no. Enchanters beat us there, because they are able to charm level 65 monsters doing up to 800+ a hit, and haste them. Of course if charm breaks they die, but its still much faster than anything else you will ever see in the game. A nerf is currently in the works for this, although SoE doesn't quite know how to handle it, I suspect charm will be very useless at the end(Why do I care? We get an undead charm at level 65 that works well in one of the Planes of Power zones to give similar experience by charming undead mobs)

If you mean able to take down toughest mobs, from 1-59 yes if they don't summon, no if they do. From 59 to 65, no(Both shaman and enchanter beat us here). At 65, yes.

If you mean safest soloing experience, shaman wins at all levels and times, due to their slow line of spells(Which at highest levels can slow down a monster to 25% of their original speed. Even cloth-wearing casters can tank slowed mobs, in most low to middle zones).

It really depends on level and what your looking at =)

Enchanters don't go into their own with soloing power until 59+, however. The power of wizards, shaman and magician are reduced heavily in PoP, since many things are immune to snare / slow, and shaman do not possess the DPS to take down high tier PoP mobs. Keep in mind im not talking soloing 1-58, but after that, with mobs hitting for 350+ and being level 50+. Mostly PoP stuff.

Yes I started a Necro so I would have a good grouping class when groups are available (warrior) and a good solo when they arn't (necro) but with my warrior, it would take me a whole day just to find 1 experience group, which usually was crappy exp. I stopped when he turned 52 and had a bit of extra experience, then played a necro to 28 and quit for now, and probably for good.

I love my Necromancer, personally. While I sit and wait for a group(Which takes less than an hour, two at the most. And necromancers are practically hated for grouping. Mayby you should try a different area or two!), I solo stuff and gain roughly the same amount of experience that I would in a group(8-10% an hour, with no mistakes).

Not to mention, the class is very versatile. We can do virtually everything the game has to offer, to some extent(pulling, charming, crowd control, tanking, damage dealer, healer), although it all depends on your level, where you are, and what your group consists of!

Besides, we have so many ways to escape death its hard to die with the right spells loaded. Feign Death, Death Peace, Harmshield, Quivering Veil of Xarn(The two last ones being complete invulnerability for 18 seconds and 30 seconds respectively)

Necromancers don't come into their own until 34, and then at 49, and then at 51, power raises exponentially for you. Mayby try getting your Necromancer there. Or if you feel like it, drop me a line on Mithaniel Marr, I'll be under the name Zenastil, or Spintalathi.

</rant>
Page: 1 2 3