ID:190271

My latest experiment is to learn the Dvorak keyboard layout. It can easily double your typing speed. Do you dare to switch?

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/

/Gazoot
id switch if i cared remotely about my typing speed but hell it would just confuse me
I dont think I can type 200 words per minute with any keyboard layout, but ill take a look.
Dvorak: It's the keyboard of the New World!

-AbyssDragon
In response to KuckiemanJr
KuckiemanJr wrote:
id switch if i cared remotely about my typing speed but hell it would just confuse me

probably not the best attitude, but I agree

Canar
In response to Canar
Canar wrote:
KuckiemanJr wrote:

For a week, perhaps. And what a great opportunity you get to do it right, once and for all!

/Gaz
In response to Gazoot
Gazoot wrote:
Canar wrote:
KuckiemanJr wrote:

For a week, perhaps. And what a great opportunity you get to do it right, once and for all!

/Gaz

I guess in a world where people are becoming more and more dependent on computers a faster typing speed would be essential, still doesn't make me not-lazy though.

Canar
I've been tempted to try it on various occasions in the past. I wonder if there's any confusion when you have to switch between Dvorak and standard layouts (e.g., when you get familiar with Dvorak, but have to revert to standard when using any PC you haven't configured yourself).
In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:
I've been tempted to try it on various occasions in the past. I wonder if there's any confusion when you have to switch between Dvorak and standard layouts (e.g., when you get familiar with Dvorak, but have to revert to standard when using any PC you haven't configured yourself).

It's no problem, you can set it up on any pc in 30 seconds. Keyboard isn't an issue either, since you never look at the keys anyway.

/Gaz
In response to Gazoot
It's no problem, you can set it up on any pc in 30 seconds. Keyboard isn't an issue either, since you never look at the keys anyway.

I can understand how in the long run this would be the case, but did you actually pick this up from scratch without ever needing to look at a keyboard labeled in the Dvorak layout?
In response to Gazoot
most people do look at the keyboard.
In response to Leftley
Leftley wrote:

I can understand how in the long run this would be the case, but did you actually pick this up from scratch without ever needing to look at a keyboard labeled in the Dvorak layout?

Of course not, I printed out a reference sheet and put it next to the monitor. I'm also using a typing program called Typingmaster.

/Gaz
In response to Dareb
Dareb wrote:

Which is a mistake, as every fast-typist will tell you.

/Gaz
In response to Dareb
Dareb wrote:

Those would be known as "people who do not know how to type."
In response to KuckiemanJr
If your under 18, it wont matter now, but all jobs that include you using a keyboard, the employer is likely to hire the fastest typer out of the applicants, so it's a great skill to have.

But the thing is though, they hire people who can type fast with a STANDARD keyboard, so that keyboard would be useless for training (unless of course your work-at-home.).

I feel alright already with my 42 min WPM to 71 max WPM, I wouldn't ruin that by learning a new layout.
Unfortunately, Dvorak and natural keyboards do not go hand-in-hand.
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
the employer is likely to hire the fastest typer out of the applicants, so it's a great skill to have.

*Ahem* Faster typer AND best speller out of the applicants. They don't want someone proofreading who spells worse than a llama on a keyboard.
In response to Hanns
*Ahem* Faster typer AND best speller out of the applicants. They don't want someone proofreading who spells worse than a llama on a keyboard.

Someone spelled "llama" correctly! This is a glorious day of no equal in history.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:

Someone spelled "llama" correctly! This is a glorious day of no equal in history.

d00d ur rong. u spell it lamma. n00b.

Heh heh heh. Couldn't resist.

I didn't think 'llama' was a commonly mispelled word. You learn something new everytime Spuzzum posts. Heh heh heh.

~>Volte
In response to Volte
I learn good spelling from turning the captions on with the Television. o_O Entertaining, *AND* educational! =P
Page: 1 2 3 4