ID:191098

Wondering why you can't get into MLAAS (or other games I host)? This may help.

Skysaw's Top 5 Reasons for Pager-Banning You
5. "Join me"
4. "DBZGuy328 ripped me off!"
3. "Come play SuperDragonGokuShooters! (sent to all)"
2. "Can I have some dimes?"
1. "Slipknot Rulz!"

Sorry to sound so harsh, but I hate pages sent to all, and I curse the day Dantom included that feature. It's not my fault that the only way to silence your endless chatter also excludes you from my games. If there were a "ignore pages sent to all" button, I'd be the first to check it, and everyone would be happy. But there isn't, so I'd rather you be unhappy than me.

If you want back in, take me off your pager list (Or swear never again to send a message "to all"), and promise you'll be good from now on.

Lesson learned:
1. Never send a page "to all."
2. If you must send a page "to all," you'd better make sure I'm not a part of your "all."
Just a quick question, am I or my other alias "Elangler" banned?Cuz I play MLAAS whenever I have some real time.I haven't lately though.
In response to Soccerguy13
You're in the clear.
In response to Skysaw
Okey day :)
Ditto. Actually, now that I think of it, that's probably why I had Polatrite on my pager-ban list a while back... I certainly wouldn't have put him there otherwise.
Page-alls annoy me too, but I don't see any reasonable way to kill the feature. Problem is, pages sent to a couple of users at once (which uses the same mechanism) are actually useful to me; several times I've paged a couple of people at once because I wanted to ask them both the same question. Difference is, I never send to everyone, and I haven't abused this in the ways we so often see.

One user in particular got really annoying with the page-alls. What he was sending me was extremely obnoxious, and if anyone would reply to him he'd send out his response to all, too, so it was like hearing half of a conversation you never wanted to be a part of in the first place. When I asked him to stop sending me page-alls (if he still multi-pages others it's none of my business), he gave me one of those responses that basically said he was gonna continue to be thoughtless about this no matter what. I read him the riot act, but about a day later he was back at it again.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Page-alls annoy me too, but I don't see any reasonable way to kill the feature. Problem is, pages sent to a couple of users at once (which uses the same mechanism) are actually useful to me; several times I've paged a couple of people at once because I wanted to ask them both the same question. Difference is, I never send to everyone, and I haven't abused this in the ways we so often see.

I think on the few occasions where you had to copy and paste a message a couple of times, you'd get over it fast if you knew it meant far less spam. I know I would.

One user in particular got really annoying with the page-alls. What he was sending me was extremely obnoxious, and if anyone would reply to him he'd send out his response to all, too, so it was like hearing half of a conversation you never wanted to be a part of in the first place. When I asked him to stop sending me page-alls (if he still multi-pages others it's none of my business), he gave me one of those responses that basically said he was gonna continue to be thoughtless about this no matter what. I read him the riot act, but about a day later he was back at it again.

Can't understand why you hadn't banned him by that second day...
In response to Skysaw
Then why was I pager-banned, I never talked to you on the pager;I tryed to join Kwijibo and I received the access denied message...
In response to Super16
Super16 wrote:
Then why was I pager-banned, I never talked to you on the pager;I tryed to join Kwijibo and I received the access denied message...

You either sent a message to all, or you did something specific to annoy me. I don't remember which it was, so why don't we assume it was the former to give you the benefit of the doubt?

I'll take you off the ban, but you might want to think before sending out any "announement" type pages.
In response to Lummox JR
Not me :P. I was at least thoughtful enough to converse with you on a private, and slightly mature level. Most of the people on my contact list are "watching me," therefore they are probably players of one of my games. I simply send a page all, announcing the game is up, and players start to show up. I deem it a useful feature, but I am very much in favor of the "Do not recieve pages sent to all" switch. Or possibly a number field, which would specify the amount of people a page could be sent to, other than you, before cutting it from you. (value of 7, would mean if the sender of the page had > 7 recipients, you would not recieve the page). Maybe I'm overcomplicating it.
In response to Polatrite
I think it would be even more useful to have an ignore function for pages that did not shut the person out of your games.
In response to Skysaw
2 levels of ban, perhaps. Level 1 would block pages and not report your location to the person, and level 2 would include all the other normal ban features. I've got about 20 people on my pagerban list, and only about 3 of them would be 'level 2' if such a thing existed.
In response to Polatrite
Polatrite wrote:
Not me :P. I was at least thoughtful enough to converse with you on a private, and slightly mature level.

That you were, and I was glad we had a good discussion over it.
The player I'm referring to is someone else; to my knowledge he doesn't post on the forums, but for the sake of courtesy I'm leaving his name out of it.

Lummox JR
In response to Skysaw
I think it would be even more useful to have an ignore function for pages that did not shut the person out of your games.

The BYOND backend supports this, actually. In the database of blocked keys, you can set a flag "login=1" and they can login to your games despite being pagerbanned. The interface just convienently doesn't mention it... but you can find out about it in the SetCongig() and GetConfig() proc documentation.

I suppose the only way to utilize it would be to always ban people through a BYOND program you wrote yourself.

-AbyssDragon
In response to AbyssDragon
AbyssDragon wrote:
The BYOND backend supports this, actually. In the database of blocked keys, you can set a flag "login=1" and they can login to your games despite being pagerbanned. The interface just convienently doesn't mention it... but you can find out about it in the SetCongig() and GetConfig() proc documentation.

For some reason I forgot about this. It occurred to me that the guy I was referring to in the previous post is someone I don't mind at all being in my games; I just didn't want him abusing my pager.
Of course, everyone else on my list I don't want in my games at all, so it looks like he's the exception to the rule.

Lummox JR