In response to Spuzzum
Okay, I'll admit it, I made all of this up.

Dammit! That was fascinating.
In response to Crispy
lol, in your case the teacher was wrong. I remeber i told my science teacher there was just a little bit of oxegen in space(not enough to filter out fast enough to breath with, but a little none the less) and she insisted that space was empty, and i sead "What about rock fragment(that takes care of all the diifrent type)?" And she answered "Well those are diffrent?" and i asked "Why?" her answer "They just are."...........But i know my heath teacher was right about the pot=cancer as cigs*10=cancer.
I certainly think there are some cases to be made for marijuana not being as "bad," either to the person or to society, as alcohol or cigarettes. I don't know if it's better for us than alcohol or cigarettes, but I acknowledge that those who say it is have some rational arguments. Of course, even if it were true, considering how horrible some of the effects of alcohol and tobacco use are, it's not saying much to say that something's less harmful than they are.

I am likewise torn on the issue of legalization.

One thing I am not so torn about is the forestry and textile industries' use of scare tactics to keep hemp farming from gaining any foothold in the U.S. Deforestation continues to be a problem here as almost everywhere else in the world, yet so many people fly into fits of condemnation at the slightest mention of anything to do with drugs (see some of the responses in this thread) that all a senator has to say is "Hemp farming is just a cover for people who want to smoke pot!", cash his check from DuPont, and watch any hemp initiative go down the drain. Who needs forests when you can get reelected next term by playing the "tough on drugs" card?

Of all the tactics big business uses in this country, this to me is one of the most despicable. But no small part of the fault lies with the very citizenry of the U.S., for indulging in knee-jerk reactions time after time after time to any issue remotely related to drugs.

There is never any merit in reflexively denouncing something as bad every time you hear about it. It's painful to watch. And I wish more citizens would get at least SOME of their news from sources other than those controlled by large corporations... which rules out network TV, as well as most newspapers and magazines.

Z
In response to RaeKwon
i have to say that is one of the most reackless thing i have ever heard you say Rea, it shows alot about you as a person.
let me finish your sentence

...is dumb
In response to Zilal
Now those are sentiments that I agree with, wholeheartedly.

We have trees which take decades, even centuries to grow, and we have plants which can be grown in a single season. Which one does it make sense to make paper (by and large a single-use commodity) out of? I'm definitely not the tree-hugging variety of liberal, but economically speaking, the renewable resource makes more sense.
In response to Scoobert
Funny how you can say this when marijuana is used to treat cancer victims, hahaahaha.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Lesbian Assassin
Lesbian Assassin wrote:
Now those are sentiments that I agree with, wholeheartedly.

I second the agreement. I've heard numerous suggestions of how hemp might be processed with modern technology to make inexpensive commodities of all kinds; while I'm kind of skeptical about some of them, we'll never know unless people actually have a chance to experiment with it and find out for themselves.
In response to Kusanagi
no its used to releive the pain from cancer pations, and relax them. Has nothing to do with realy healing them.
My personal opinion is that marijuana should be legalized. I myself have never used any drugs, or drank before. I consider myself pretty much "straight edge" except for the whole vegan thing.

Anyway, let me get back on topic. I don't think that using marijuana is necesarily a smart thing to do, but I don't mind people who do it. I say it should be legalized because for lots of reasons. You know how some people say, "Pot leads to other drugs." Well, I think a lot of times that is the case because people are buying their marijuana from dealers who are also selling other, more harmful drugs. These people whose original intention was just to get some "weed," get curious and buy some cocaine or something.
Doh...I had so many other reasons floating through my head until now...oh well, at least I got one out before my amnesia kicked in.

- Ashing

<font size="-1">NOTE: I do not endorse the use of marijuana or any other drugs.
</font>
In response to Maz
Maz wrote:
i have to say that is one of the most reackless thing i have ever heard you say Rea, it shows alot about you as a person.

My name is not Rea, or Rae, it's RaeKwon. No offence, but i can tell you've never bean stoned.

~ Kyle
In response to Geo
Thats because they found that people on acid could communicate with computers
In response to Scoobert
Go to google and type cancer treatment with marijuana, one of the sites you'll get is this one, http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cancernet/600084.html, and many others. I know the internet isn't always accurate but when the information comes from national cancer treatment programs then I am going to believe it.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Gughunter
Even government-funded studies regularly show hemp to very useful for many, many uses. Paper is one of the big ones (in fact, hemp paper is all-around better than regular paper, because it doesn't have to be treated to prevent decay).

-AbyssDragon
Elangler wrote:
In short maybe it shouold be legalized but have restrictions.Like what was said,filtering it.

I totally agree with most of your post, but the filtering part would be a bad idea.... People could just un-wrap the cover on the marijuana and take it out then roll it up to have it non-filtered, maybe if there was a way to suppress it instead of just filtering it then it would raise it's chances of being legalized.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
hummm....well, is it lunge cancer it helps? or just cancer?
In response to Scoobert
I'm not sure, got to do some more reading on the subject before I can really answer any deeper questions.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to AbyssDragon
AbyssDragon wrote:
Even government-funded studies regularly show hemp to very useful for many, many uses. Paper is one of the big ones (in fact, hemp paper is all-around better than regular paper, because it doesn't have to be treated to prevent decay).

Paper is one of the uses that sounds most plausible to me. Hemp has very tough fibers, which could be quite useful in paper-making.

I know that hemp used to be one of the most common materials used for making rope -- I had heard the term "hemp rope" many times before I ever heard about the whole modern hemp controversy. In fact, the U.S. Government actually encouraged farmers to grow it for the war effort in World War II! Of course, hemp isn't actually marijuana, which has a much higher THC content (technically, I think marijuana is just various strains of hemp that have been bred to have a higher THC content, but I'm not a botanist so don't quote me on that).

The government's main problem with hemp seems to be that it's impossible to visually distinguish from marijuana, and it would be terribly embarrassing to kick someone's door down to seize something that turned out to be drug-free, so hemp's gotta go too. I think maybe hemp does contain trace amounts of THC (though not enough to be of any use to a pot smoker), but the visual-identification problem is the reason I heard given most recently.

There's a lot of interesting information in a book called The Emperor Wears No Clothes, by Jack Herer (it's probably been about a decade since I read it, so I may have the name or title slightly wrong). Some of the facts cited are more convincing than others, but even if it turned out the book was inaccurate on 50% of its points, the remaining 50% would be pretty damning for America's current policy.
In response to Gughunter
I did read once that hemp and marijuana plants were visually distinguishable (the implication being that no one wanted to bother to try), but I can't speak to the truthfulness of that statement.

Dar Williams wrote a wonderful song called "The pointless, yet poignant, crisis of a co-ed" that contains several hilarious observations on marijuana culture. One of the lines in the song is "We used to say that our love was like hemp rope, three times as strong as the rope that you buy domestically."

My first brush with marijuana was when my brother gave me a joint as a birthday present. I saved it for a special occasion (my birthday wasn't special enough, I guess), hidden away (in my first aid kit, ironically) until quite some time had passed. My brother asked me if I'd ever smoked it, and I said no, I was saving it. He then informed me that marijuana lost its potency quickly, and was likely completely ineffective by now and probably moldy besides.

I am hesitant to use drugs myself for practical reasons. Many or most of them are linked with depression, and with the already existent propensity for that ailment in my family, I'm not eager to do anything that would worsen the circumstances for myself.

Z
In response to RaeKwon
1. is that an insult, youv never bean stoned?
2. can you read?
3. meh

Maz
Page: 1 2 3 4 5