ID:153988

I'll state my problem straight-out. I have a 2d overhead world, and I desperately need to add a vertical element to it.

The main idea considered was making the obj/mob/turf larger or smaller depending on their elevation. The problem with this lays in that I feel it's just too inefficient to draw several copies of the same icon of different sizes.

Another suggestion was to either colour-code turfs according to their elevation, or make them brighter/darker according to their elevation. The first would make many turfs look strange, and the second eliminates lighting effects.

So, basically what I'm after is an interesting way to have a vertical element to a 2d overhead game. :)
My 3D Lib will include Lighting effects and shadows. But it wount come out for a while and will cost 15$ if you want to wait and buy it.
You could try using pixel offsets to simulate an angled height, similar to what Majong (or however you spell it, that tile-matching game) uses when stacking tiles. Just move them a few pixels north for every level of height they are.
In response to Green Lime
Green Lime wrote:
My 3D Lib will include Lighting effects and shadows. But it wount come out for a while and will cost 15$ if you want to wait and buy it.

I don't want a 3d game. If I wanted a 3d game, then I'd kindly ask for one. What I'm looking for it a way to simulate vertical movement in an overhead 2d game. :P
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
You could try using pixel offsets to simulate an angled height, similar to what Majong (or however you spell it, that tile-matching game) uses when stacking tiles. Just move them a few pixels north for every level of height they are.

Stack up a pile of cards, and look down at it from directly overhead. Do you see it like the what you described? I'm looking for a way to do this in an overhead view.
In response to Malver
Malver wrote:
Foomer wrote:

Stack up a pile of cards, and look down at it from directly overhead. Do you see it like the what you described? I'm looking for a way to do this in an overhead view.

Yeah, and they don't change color or size either. Classic Solitaire is a good example of what I'm trying to say. You don't always have to be perfectly realistic.
Exadv1 had a GREAT system for this. He had 3 story buildings. He had 3 different "elevations" and everything! It was sweet! But with the 65k limit.... it's not all that practical, heh.
In response to Sariat
Sariat wrote:
Exadv1 had a GREAT system for this. He had 3 story buildings. He had 3 different "elevations" and everything! It was sweet! But with the 65k limit.... it's not all that practical, heh.

Uhm, care to go into detail as to how his worked? Telling me how amazing it was doesn't really help me out that much. :P
In response to Malver
Yeah, it had 3 stories and everything. It even had it so that you could fall down on "open" grates. He had wall climbing, shadows, the works! It was AWESOME.
In response to Sariat
Sariat wrote:
Yeah, it had 3 stories and everything. It even had it so that you could fall down on "open" grates. He had wall climbing, shadows, the works! It was AWESOME.

Uhm, right. o.O
http://www.byond.com/hub/ hub.cgi?qd=hubIndex;hub=220;channel=1183

Check that out. It's something Gughunter made a long time ago, and it seems like it might give you some ideas.
In response to Ebonshadow
Ebonshadow wrote:
http://www.byond.com/hub/ hub.cgi?qd=hubIndex;hub=220;channel=1183

Check that out. It's something Gughunter made a long time ago, and it seems like it might give you some ideas.

A very nice demo, and it actually was one of the things that I considered (using shading to show elevation).

Thanks for the help, Ebon and Gughunter. ;)
In response to Malver
Foomer's advice is best. Use the general overhead concept, except lower the angle of the eye sligtly to allow a partial side-view. This won't be entirely realistic, but it will allow you to show elevation. Having a completely overhead view would warrant changing the icons' size as they rise. As you've said, that would get messy after a while, and may not look very nice either. Your best bet is to bend the rules of perspective to your whim and show a partial side-view.

~X (or go isometric)