ID:154005

Over the last little while, I've noticed that Bizlof War is seldom hosted, and also seldom played. Part of this (I think) is because I am unable to update the game currently (because of somekind of unresolved bug in my hub).

Anyway, I'd like to hear some suggestions as to how I can improve Bizlof War. I know that most of the more well-known BYOND'ers refrain from playing it (most likely because I haven't yet created any form of reputation for myself), so I'd like to know how I can make the game enjoyable for them, too.

So please, post any suggestions that you have so that I can make Bizlof War a more enjoyable experience. :)
I'd like to see more teamwork. The last time I played, nobody was talking on their team channel, just running out the door and gunning down anyone they could. Then on the Stash! maps, someone would grab it, and run back to a building near their base, while defending themselves, and tuck it in a little corner. Since that one person is barricaded in, not many others can get in to grab the flag. The fact that grenades do not bounce off of walls also makes this harder. The one defender can stay in the room with his gun pointed to the door. See someone? Open up on them.

I'd advise to make the stash/flag carrier not be able to shoot/throw grenades/attack at all. This would encourage flagging groups, which is teamwork.
CTF.......... or something like "KR" in Infantry.
I would like to see an upgrade on damage for the energy shotgun considering it seems that it takes about 15+ direct shots to kill something with it, it would also deal away with careless fire on your own team or yourself even. Mechanized units would be nice, and so would a strength in numbers type thing. Maybe the more of your team in your view the more damage you do, forcing people to stay in large groups, and the downside is that anyone in your vision on your team will be using some of your energy for energy weapons, like an energy share system. A team points system would be nice, like how many frags the team acquires will raise your point value and allow for damage upgrades and armor upgrades, and this could be controlled by commanders giving commanders a more important roll.

Heat seeking rockets that allow you to lock on from long distances but cost a ton of money to buy is something that could be useful, like an upgraded super-sniper rifle with explosives :). For the weapon parts maybe weapon level could restrict your team to only certain weapons, like level 1 you can only obtain low level weaponry like light machine guns and pistols but say a team with level 10 in weaponry could hook up with rocket launchers and sniper rifles, of course you would have to purchase these levels with the team points.

Ooo, I got it now, make each team have an overmind type commander which spectates and ads in things like turrets and can assign unit locations and build small buildings that can help the troops. Maybe have whatever builds things build energy wave generaters that allows the leader of a team to put in sentry turrets or powerful defense mechanisms, or even drop off mechs for players to ride in. This persay "Leader" could purchase the upgrades, like how you play starcraft, except instead of making soldiers the soldiers are there as players and could make some money for following orders, and every kill made by a troop gives money to the teams bank maybe, and the Leader can give people orders and pay them for a job well done, but if the leader is not playing the leader properly he can be kicked out by a voting system, and the players can vote for a new leader, but in this process they go into a sort of slump since nobody is controlling the backbone of the team.

You could also prescribes money for certain things so a Leader can't just give thousands of dollars to a player because that player is a friend, maybe set out a distribution of money to a player for each kill, and a economy level to set the income from killing an enemy. Like everytime an enemy dies and your economy is at 500 points, you gain 500 dollars and you can set a distribution to the soldier who killed an enemy for each kill, so at a gain of 500 dollars you can set the income for a soldier to 250, so it comes in at a 50/50 intake. Lets say you have raised your economy to a booming 1500, you can raise the income level for your soldiers so they gain more money. I'm sure after setting income you'll have people ganging up on wandering enemies so they can feed their greed.

Energy could be totally removed with a leader system and buildings could require money, and instead of just attack buildings you could add barracades, bridges, camp sites, and bunkers(Bunkers could host 2 soldiers and block 50% of the incoming bullets and allow the soldiers inside to attack back without the chance of getting hit so much.).

Well I hope you understand some of this, I'm a bit tired so it might look bad =/.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
Great timing man. Just as Malver is talking to me all day about his RTS project. He might actually turn BW into a semi-RTS with your suggestions. Good job.
In response to Mertek
No problem, this idea is in thanks to Farliament from like a year ago when I was talking to him about Natural Selection, thus inventing the FPS/RTS and now the uhhh first 2D/Wargame/RTS! Goohahahaha!

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Kusanagi
Maybe for Leaders, they could only build where their troops are.... so you wont have leaders going to enemy base blocking off exits...

So they'd have scout teams, and such.
In response to Kusanagi
Er...

Bizlof War was intended to be strictly player vs. player, not 'leader-who-makes-stuff-like-a-run-of-the-mill-RTS-game vs. players'.

I want to improve BW, but I don't want to change the overall gameplay of BW like what you are proposing.

...Unless the gameplay is the problem. :P

Weapon upgrades sound nice, but this gives older players even more of an advantage over new players.

I think I'll definetly consider giving Engineers more things to build (defenses, and such), though.
In response to Sariat
Sariat wrote:
CTF.......... or something like "KR" in Infantry.

Earlier in development, I had a Capture And Hold map, but nobody seemed to go for it. I think that maps involving flags are best left for larger player bases, because with BW's small player base, CAH is no more than running back and forth between bases over and over again. :)
In response to Mertek
Mertek wrote:
Great timing man. Just as Malver is talking to me all day about his RTS project. He might actually turn BW into a semi-RTS with your suggestions. Good job.

Ack! Thanks for unveiling my sinister master plan, Mertek. :P

I don't think I will tie Bizlof War and the now-revealed RTS together, for two reasons.

- My code is a lot less messier since Bizlof War
- I don't want to change the intended pvp gameplay of BW

It's a nice idea, but I doubt that it will happen. Plus, Bizlof War wasn't exactly a success anyway. :P
In response to Malver
When I was talking about weapon upgrades I meant for the whole team, like the team gets enough money to upgrade their base weapons, so really it wouldn't give people who just joined any problems since if their team is high on weapon upgrades, then that person will also recieve those upgrades. Leaders wouldn't change the overall gameplay, it would just make someone in charge of everything, for everyone else it would be the same except they have to stay together as a team and follow orders.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
In response to Malver
It was a success, but you allowed other people to host it which made its popularity go down.

<<>>Kusanagi<<>>
Malver wrote:
Over the last little while, I've noticed that Bizlof War is seldom hosted, and also seldom played. Part of this (I think) is because I am unable to update the game currently (because of somekind of unresolved bug in my hub).

Anyway, I'd like to hear some suggestions as to how I can improve Bizlof War. I know that most of the more well-known BYOND'ers refrain from playing it (most likely because I haven't yet created any form of reputation for myself), so I'd like to know how I can make the game enjoyable for them, too.

So please, post any suggestions that you have so that I can make Bizlof War a more enjoyable experience. :)

Last i played BozlofWar i found it rather entertaining. I believe the reason the 'olbies' havn't yet played it, is because they do not have the time, or busy with there own projects.

Alatar
what about having parts of weapons, and you can create weapons.
In response to Mertek
I like the grenade idea with the walls but no one seems to come on anymore. Most of the time people take advantage of stash. They leave BW on offline and get tons of money. Then they host it with the best weapons. >.< well i'll work on the tiles again maybe these will help i got a new program instead of using byond :)