ID:178365

How can you set up a way for multiple players to run into random battles and fight in there own seperate battle field regaurdless how many are using the same field map.
Exp.
Your playing and walking around and boom a battle starts. Your moved the the battle field to fight an enemy. Ok now how to keep each persons battles seperate from others .
Dekuh wrote:
How can you set up a way for multiple players to run into random battles and fight in there own seperate battle field regaurdless how many are using the same field map.
Exp.
Your playing and walking around and boom a battle starts. Your moved the the battle field to fight an enemy. Ok now how to keep each persons battles seperate from others .

You posted this in Code Problems too; I posted a reply before seeing this.

<BIG>NEVER</BIG> cross-post again. This is a very very bad thing to do. Make your post in one place only.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Minimal offense intended, Lummox, but do you have a stick up your ass? If you do, take it out and get a few nights of good sleep. If you don't, look for one again and perform the formerly said activity if you manage to find one. It seems to me that your philosophy is that if you can put the fear of your wrath (whatever that may be) into every 'troll' that inhabits or passes through BYOND, it will somehow reshape them or contain them and then make them into a more useful person or drive them away. Now, I've not kept track to tell how often this works, but I would not guess that it works too often. I respect you a good deal, but such respect means nothing when I see a post like that. I thank you for your time in reading this if you do read it, and I bid you no ill will with which to argue against it; I am not trying to start a fight with you. I am just informing you, as it seems that someone should, that you sometimes get a little bit 'out of it'.

-Lord of Water
In response to Lord of Water
If Lummox has a stick up his butt, maybe we should all bend over and insert. :P

Lummox's attitude may seem extreme, but he reforms more people with his posts than he would by idly sitting by and letting forum abuse go unchecked. Perhaps not the target of his post, but many forum goers who don't know the acceptable limits of forum use read those posts and learn.

If we all just sit back and let one person bump, cross post, and post in the wrong forums with no negative comments, soon the forums will be swamped with it. Newcomers will emulate whatever they see getting the results they want. Lummox may not reform all the trolls who are already trolls, but he does discourage uncertain newbies who don't understand netiquette from adopting troll habits.
In response to Lord of Water
I've told you before and I'll tell you again: Don't hug the trolls. I'm not saying Dekuh is one, but if you have a criticism, send it in private. The absolute most destructive people on any given public forum are not trolls, but the people who will argue their case for them or always interfere with those whose interest is to make the forum a better place. It's one thing to disagree with the way someone handles these situations, and another to air said disagreement in this particular way--let alone in a hostile tone, as you did.

As Shadowdarke pointed out, and as I apparently must point out to you, I'm trying to help the newbies figure out forum netiquette. This has largely been a successful effort because the ones who bump or cross-post tend to reform quickly once they're told they're doing something wrong--especially if they're told politely. If someone is violating these rules and guidelines a lot within a short time, as Dekuh was doing, they're told with a little more urgency, but I still didn't get insulting about it and so I expect him to take the warning exactly as it was intended. All in all, we're lucky to have a community where so few of the newcomers turn out eventually to be trolls.

So while I sort of understand where you're coming from, posts like yours do more harm than good. Posts with the level of nastiness yours had do a lot more harm. I'll kindly ask you to back off.

Lummox JR
In response to Shadowdarke
Ok guys no fighting over me. Oh and the newbie thing well who knows may be i still am buts its been about a year since i been with byond. Left for a while to pursue other endevers but bin back for months now. Having to relearn some things. Put dont worry on my behalf I am my own person his little commant means noda if i took it the wrong way. I double poast because i felt it would be quicker to have to post in two areas of questioning. Dont asume to be overlord unless your the owners or creators of byond there words would be law you know. Some people try to shape things there way need some help in for there control problems. Byond is a free enviroment for all unless made not so. For you to give your apinion on whats wrong is noted but if i do intend to double poast again i will. I mean thanks for the help but dont try to tell me what to do I mean i hate that exspecially that i may be coming from some one younger than i is well an insult. But you helping others with there problems is both noble and kind but leave it at that help.

Thanks alot and hope to get replys for later thinks

Dekuh

Ps if your wondering I am 26
In response to Dekuh
Dekuh wrote:
I double poast because i felt it would be quicker to have to post in two areas of questioning. Dont asume to be overlord unless your the owners or creators of byond there words would be law you know. Some people try to shape things there way need some help in for there control problems.

Dantom have agreed that cross-posting is unacceptable forum behavior; it's unacceptable all over Usenet, too. In other words, it's pretty much common sense. This isn't an attempt to be controlling or to reshape the forums as I see fit; this is an attempt to instruct a newbie (apparently a more arrogant one than I thought) in how to work within the forum guidelines that are known to the whole community. Someone else could just as easily have made the same post.

Byond is a free enviroment for all unless made not so. For you to give your apinion on whats wrong is noted but if i do intend to double poast again i will.

No you won't, because the evil of cross-posting isn't merely an "opinion"; this is accepted fact, agreed on by Dantom, and you'd best comply with it. Drop this "I can do whatever I want unless I get official word from Dantom telling me otherwise" attitude, please. I'm not an official representative of Dantom, nor are the many others who would have told you the same thing if I hadn't done so first--but we are fellow forum-goers, who happen to know a thing or two about netiquette.

I mean thanks for the help but dont try to tell me what to do I mean i hate that exspecially that i may be coming from some one younger than i is well an insult. But you helping others with there problems is both noble and kind but leave it at that help.

If you're doing something wrong, people will tell you what it is so you can stop. I'm not the only person who does so; I'm merely the first to have done so with you.

Ps if your wondering I am 26

Pleased to meet you. I'm the tooth fairy, and this is my friend the Easter Bunny.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR

Pleased to meet you. I'm the tooth fairy, and this is my friend the Easter Bunny.

Lummox JR

that was very unexceptable, show respect!
- TheWizard
In response to RaeKwon
RaeKwon wrote:
that was very unexceptable, show respect!

You're not really in any position to tell anyone that, RaeKwon. But even if you were, you'd be wrong. Showing someone respect and responding sarcastically to something you don't believe are completely separate things, and not mutually exclusive. That is, doing one doesn't mean you haven't done the other.

If Dekuh is in his 20s or even near them, I'm an aardvark. There are some things you learn about human nature after spending enough time online, and one of the big ones is that people of certain ages tend generally to purport themselves in certain ways. (For instance, people in their 20s generally have enough of a concept of respect not to even consider that stupid "unless an official says otherwise, I won't listen to anyone" attitude.) The image Dekuh projects is struggling to get over 13. Allowing for a hefty degree of error, I could allow that maybe with a good tailwind he's upwards of 17--but that's a stretch.

Thus my response, because I think he just said he was 26 in order to try to prevent any further criticism, earned or otherwise. I've seen plenty of kids pull that stunt before.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
he is 26, see Lummox, stop jumping to conclusions without knowing the facts.
In response to RaeKwon
Lummox, are you saying something is wrong with 17 year olds? I'm 17 and I would like to say that would offend me as I have judgement about my own mind. I know the rules of Byond as well as how to be proper on the forums more than some people who are older most likely.

Just putting in my piece of the flame pie... Oh, and don't tell about my Easter Bunnyness. ;)

Jowy
In response to Jowy
im 24 :)
In response to RaeKwon
RaeKwon wrote:

He may be 26, but I would agree that he does portray a 13-ish figure.

- Malver
In response to Jowy
Jowy wrote:
Lummox, are you saying something is wrong with 17 year olds? I'm 17 and I would like to say that would offend me as I have judgement about my own mind. I know the rules of Byond as well as how to be proper on the forums more than some people who are older most likely.

I was saying that it's unlikely Dekuh is as old as 17, because he doesn't act that mature, but I'd be willing to buy it. 26 I don't buy. He acts a lot closer to 13.

Lummox JR
In response to Jowy
Jowy wrote:

Just putting in my piece of the flame pie... Oh, and don't tell about my Easter Bunnyness. ;)

I'm also 17, and wasn't offended one bit by it. He isn't lumping 17-year-olds into a bag of idiocy or anything -- he was 17 too at some point (I hope) -- but rather reflecting upon maturity.

I'm very mature for my age. However, I could probably prattle off well over a hundred names of people of a similar age in my school of 1200 who aren't. Well, if I actually cared about them or knew them well enough to learn their names, anyway.

In other words, the vast majority of people don't even know what maturity is until life hits them like a freight train when they get out of school. Schools and parents have us on little leashes up until we're done our educations, so if we ever get stuck, they come back and pick us up. Not so with the real world, though they still try to lend a helping hand from time to time, if they're at least close to being good parents. =)

Here's an interesting topic. If you take offense to it, aren't you automatically putting yourself into that category? Lexy caught me with that one in Babble, too. =P
In response to RaeKwon
RaeKwon wrote:

And how is it you would know any facts yourself? You have no more information to go on in saying he's 26 than I do in saying he's not (unless you happen to know him in real life, which would explain an awful lot). You have even less reason to believe he's 26 than I have to doubt him, because I have a lot of experience gauging characters like these and have a pretty good ability to peg an age within a few years, whereas all you apparently have is absolute faith that he's telling the truth.

He says he's 26, but he acts 12 or 13. In attitude, bearing, spelling, and even the fact that he felt compelled to state an age at all, the evidence of his own words points strongly to a much, much lower age than 20--to say nothing of 26. (Notice he didn't even mention his age until he got defensive about his abuse of the forum? That's practically taken straight out of a nature show, where a cat puffs itself up to look big so other animals will leave it alone. The very primitive nature of that reaction is a reliable telltale.)

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
RaeKwon wrote:

And how is it you would know any facts yourself? You have no more information to go on in saying he's 26 than I do in saying he's not (unless you happen to know him in real life, which would explain an awful lot). You have even less reason to believe he's 26 than I have to doubt him, because I have a lot of experience gauging characters like these and have a pretty good ability to peg an age within a few years, whereas all you apparently have is absolute faith that he's telling the truth.

He says he's 26, but he acts 12 or 13. In attitude, bearing, spelling, and even the fact that he felt compelled to state an age at all, the evidence of his own words points strongly to a much, much lower age than 20--to say nothing of 26. (Notice he didn't even mention his age until he got defensive about his abuse of the forum? That's practically taken straight out of a nature show, where a cat puffs itself up to look big so other animals will leave it alone. The very primitive nature of that reaction is a reliable telltale.)

Oh ya?!... ...ur st00pid...!

What's that gauged at? ;-)
(Assuming I wasn't trying to exhibit my tired/tiring sense of humour, that is. =P)
In response to Treasurecat
Well well haa it seems even on the net my age is not beleavable. Ok let me adress some isues. One my spelling yah i am bad speller i admit that and to those that i have spoke to know that for i say or leave comments in my messages that i am . Second some spelling errors yah i can go back and correct them but you guys get the drifted of what i am saying I mean am I impressing some one with my esquisit writing no i just type as the thoughts flow out. Well any how i come across hmm 13 well maybe I am quite childish when i comes to gamming and things. I mean i had stimulating talks with younger byonders that come across much older. The giving my age thing well Believe it or not its of no consern realy to me. Its your oppinion.
Look anyway thanks raekwon for the defence.
Come come lets go back to the reason the forum was created for helping.
In response to Treasurecat
Im 13. Are you insulting us thirteen year-olds.Well,its not like I really care.Im mature for my age,yes im a bad speller.I also have really bad grammar,but at least I'm mature :P.

~@-Mike-@~
In response to Soccerguy13
Soccerguy13 wrote:
Im 13. Are you insulting us thirteen year-olds.Well,its not like I really care.Im mature for my age,yes im a bad speller.I also have really bad grammar,but at least I'm mature :P.

~@-Mike-@~

Geez, it seems everybody here is 'mature for their age'. o.O

- Malver
Page: 1 2