ID:154164

(This might not be the best place to post this, but oh well.)

I took a few minutes to play DragonSnot a little while ago and I thought I'd report a few of the things that have so far bugged me about the game (which isn't to say I don't like the game). The experience starts with downloading 800k, which is ... big. I'm not sure how it managed to get THAT big, but if there's anything you can do to trim down the filesize, it'd be a good idea because no one likes spending 5 minutes downloading so they can play for 5 minutes. (DragonSnot doesn't appeal to me as a longer-hours game.) The other thing that has so far always bothered me about the game is that, I never get the pieces I want, ever. I always end up placing bunches of pieces in the empty corners because there is simply nothing else to do with them. I was wondering if it might be possible to setup something similar to what Leftley did in LaserWars, where there is a set amount of each piece and you continually pick pieces from the list until the list is empty, then it resets. This would be a good way to avoid doing what I always do - ending up with 5 of the same piece, which happens to drive me nuts :oP

Just some thoughts...
Interesting opinions... But I'd like to point out that much of the purpose of the game lies in getting random pieces... And that entails usually not getting pieces you need...

It's then up to you to figure out how to use the pieces you're given in the best way to get the highest score and finish the level... It takes planning ahead...

Have you ever played Pipe Dream? (the game it's seemingly based upon?) That game works the same way... You get whatever it gives you...and either you find a way to use it, or you get screwed... That's the game...
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
I didn't suggest taking away the randomness, but having it pick from a set list would make sure that players eventually get something different, even though they can't control what they get and still have to work with it. But it really bugs me after I get about 20 of one pieces, and not enough of anything else. There is only so much you can do when the pieces run you into a wall and you don't have any other pieces to work with :oP
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
I didn't suggest taking away the randomness, but having it pick from a set list would make sure that players eventually get something different, even though they can't control what they get and still have to work with it.

I see what you're saying -- your suggestion would keep the randomness while ensuring a fixed probability distribution. Sounds good to me.
Foomer wrote:
ago and I thought I'd report a few of the things that have so far bugged me about the game (which isn't to say I don't like the game).

Thanks...we'll be adjusting the game a bit soon so it's a good time.

The experience starts with downloading 800k, which is ... big. I'm not sure how it managed to get THAT big,

Well there's a lot of cool stuff in the later levels. It really is worth playing through -- the best stuff comes later. Part of our job in adjusting the game will be to try and make it more likely people play through. When we look at the game again, though, we will see if there are file sizes that can be reduced.

The other thing that has so far always bothered me about the game is that, I never get the pieces I want, ever. I always end up placing bunches of pieces in the empty corners because there is simply nothing else to do with them.

You can place them in places strategically or randomly, and you can replace an existing piece on the board. So if you only want to take up one space on the board with them you can do that...it does cost you $1 for each one you replace though.

I usually end up creating entire trails with unused pieces...and for me the fun is finding a way to hook up the snot to the trail I created. It's also why I almost always win the multiplayer games...

To go further, I actually find a kind of zen thing to turning the random pieces into a useful trail of trenches. It's really half the fun.

Nonetheless, we can certainly consider adding in an increased chance that the next piece you get is different from the last piece you placed.

In response to Gughunter
I just thought of a game mode. How about a mode where you HAVE to use every piece (pieces are more random, too, so that you don't get the same piece as much). The first person to make it to the finish without wasting a single piece wins (or, in single player, you lose if any pieces are wasted). Or maybe just a very, very large bonus for not wasting any pieces.
In response to Garthor
Garthor wrote:
I just thought of a game mode. How about a mode where you HAVE to use every piece (pieces are more random, too, so that you don't get the same piece as much). The first person to make it to the finish without wasting a single piece wins (or, in single player, you lose if any pieces are wasted). Or maybe just a very, very large bonus for not wasting any pieces.

Sounds like a good tournament idea. By the way, if you'd like your ideas to be remembered next time we do an update, it's good to put them on Bwicki:

http://www.deadron.com/byond/ByondBwicki.dmb?DragonSnot

We'd love to do more game modes and such for DragonSnot, but first we want to figure out how to get people to play through all the content that is there!

Most people never go past the first map or two. That's not their fault -- it's up to us to make the game interesting. But if you have ideas to help, please do post them!