ID:154203

I've been toying with an idea for distribution for My Life as a Spy, and wanted to see what the player community thought. Here's what I'll probably end up doing.

First, I'll offer subscriptions for hosting privileges only. This would give the hoster admin rights on a discrete MLAAS world. Characters saved on one world would not be transferrable to another world.

Worlds would be named and registered through my allhands server. The name of the world would show up for a live game, so players would know which one was up. The registry would also be a place for hosters to post their regular hosting hours (if any).

Opinions?
One thing I can think of: the rank/purple team fee could stack up rather quickly. They are, admittedly, quite inexpensive individually, but unless and until stable, dependable servers start being established, I could see quite a few people buying rank 11 or purple membership and then losing their character because the server went down. Presumably, though, if the server startup charge was high enough this shouldn't be too bad a problem. Then, however, you get into the problem of hosting perks... if I was paying good money for the privelage of running a server for a game like this, I'd definitely want at least a few toggles or controls for game parameters.
Maybe a sort of "server" with a few different/added maps so that every "server" has a different feel or look. This is what I was planning on doing (if my Random City Generation never works :P)

And the host can put a limit on what type of weapons can and cannot be used. And maybe host-controlled missions ;)

And maybe they could play as NPC's for that roleplaying effect. MLAAS is supposed to be a roleplaying game, never have I once seen any roleplaying on it.

-Sariat
In response to Leftley
Leftley wrote:
One thing I can think of: the rank/purple team fee could stack up rather quickly. They are, admittedly, quite inexpensive individually, but unless and until stable, dependable servers start being established, I could see quite a few people buying rank 11 or purple membership and then losing their character because the server went down. Presumably, though, if the server startup charge was high enough this shouldn't be too bad a problem. Then, however, you get into the problem of hosting perks... if I was paying good money for the privelage of running a server for a game like this, I'd definitely want at least a few toggles or controls for game parameters.

Good point.

I think I'll see if there's a way to turn that into a subscriber function, so you will be paid up on any server. I don't know enough about subscriptions yet, so I'll take suggestions here.

There will be a few game parameters the host can set up to taste.
I like it. I like the idea that there would be different MLAAS worlds, and characters wouldn't be transferrable between them. It should make it easier for people to avoid others they might have problems with.

Z
In response to Skysaw
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think I would like to see the scenario I hypothesized where subscriptions would be nontransferable, the host package cost a good amount (maybe the shelf price of a not-particularly-new-but-still-selling game) but with host options approaching an online building system. Of course it would be cruel and pointless to ask for a full online building system at this point, but being able to edit missions or item parameters would be good fun for both the host as well as the players, and the price tag for the hosting package would mean that most people setting up servers would be fairly serious about it and not just in it to fool around.

Then there's an even more serious model you could approach, one based around the fact that, really, in running a server someone is playing a vital role in the distribution scheme, getting more players, etc., and generally helping draw in more players--and potential subscribers. Especially if subscription didn't transfer between servers. The price for a server could be knocked up a bit higher, but with part of the subscription fees brought in by a server going to the host. This could really help encourage people who've set up servers to follow through with their commitment, though if it were possible to change more than the very most basic gameplay options hosts might start trying to give out massive power freely (hopefully this might bite them in the butt and give them a server quickly dominated by a few power freaks, though).
A game called Subspace has a pretty cool server system. They allow for different servers to be hosted, and all have the ability to make their own individual maps and have their own settings. I think the ability to radically customize an MLAAS instance would make the game 100% better. The Subspace servers that are publically displayed are all endorsed by Subspace, so poorly constructed worlds do not clutter the listings. It would be a good deal of work, but I think that it is the right thing for MLAAS.

-Lord of Water