ID:193204

My brother and I have been making music together as "The Marbles" for some time, but have just discovered there is at least one other band with that name. We're now trying to come up with a catchy, unusual, very cool, and not likely used name for ourselves. Here's what we're looking at today:
  • Big Plastic Head
  • $50,000 Breakfast
  • Immortal Clay
  • Dog Year Calculator

Which do you like best? Which one would you be most likely to buy a CD of, if you had no idea what they sounded like?

Suggest a new one if you don't like these!
Of the ones you listed, I like "Big Plastic Head" the best. It's a somewhat goofy image, and isn't hard to say. "Dog Year Calculator" is very much a dog, though "Dog Years" wouldn't be a bad name.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Agreed. "Big Plastic Head" has just the right amount of weirness and mystery to it. Plus, it just sounds cool.

-AbyssDragon
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Of the ones you listed, I like "Big Plastic Head" the best. It's a somewhat goofy image, and isn't hard to say. "Dog Year Calculator" is very much a dog, though "Dog Years" wouldn't be a bad name.

Lummox JR

Dog Years isn't bad, actually. Dog Year Calculator might make a good album title, though.
  • $50,000 Breakfast

I like this one. Sounds like a Japanese game show.
In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:
  • $50,000 Breakfast
    I like this one. Sounds like a Japanese game show.

Hmph. Apparently you're just not very well acquainted with diamond-studded pancakes.
The Marbles sounds the best of them, but seeing as you are breaking from that name, I must answer Immortal Clay. It sounds more professional, and it is totally true. Clay is, indeed, immortal. It's got the strangeness that it needs to be a silly band name, too.

-Ryan
In response to Lord of Water
Lord of Water wrote:
The Marbles sounds the best of them, but seeing as you are breaking from that name, I must answer Immortal Clay. It sounds more professional, and it is totally true. Clay is, indeed, immortal. It's got the strangeness that it needs to be a silly band name, too.

I hear "Immortal Clay" and I think of a dark ballad-heavy album with a cracked desert plain, littered with free-standing and broken pieces of pottery, under a dark overcast sky. The name has a certain excessive seriousness to it that doesn't lend itself to anything "silly".

"Big Plastic Head", however, is silly. It also doesn't constrain the music, so that even serious songs could be appropriate.

Lummox JR
In response to Lord of Water
I also like Immortal Clay. It's highbrow enough on its own so that it has a "cool factor". If associated with something like Play-Doh, it can also get the same warm kiddie/geek feeling as Big Plastic Head.
how about Star Star Taiwan? its silly, catchy, and can create many cool named albums/songs.
In response to Lummox JR
how about Imortal Clay it sounds better then the Plastic head one, i picture on the cover somone with a big plastic head, sends shivers up my spine, so i say Imortal Clay.
RaeKwon
In response to RaeKwon
I have to say Big Plastic Head, if not that then shorten Dog Year calculator(To mayby just Dog Year. Dog Year Calculator seems too long for a band). $50,000 breakfast sounds too gameshow'ish for me, and Immortal Clay reminds me of Ensya or something of the like.

Alathon
I'm going to go with Immortal Clay it's a great name.
Skysaw wrote:
  • Big Plastic Head

I like BPH. Speaking of "BPH", it rolls off the tongue a lot easier than "IC". Wait, no it doesn't, but I really can't imagine having a conversation about a band called "Immortal Clay". Big Metal Head would be good if you were a metal band.

Good luck!
I like $50,000 Breakfast. I would probably buy a CD if i had no idea what they sounded like, just to see if i should buy thier future CDs.

Kind of off the topic, aren't band names getting wierder, and wierder? like Little Blue Crunchy Things..

-Rcet
In response to Rcet
Rcet wrote:
Kind of off the topic, aren't band names getting wierder, and wierder? like Little Blue Crunchy Things..

When I start a band, I'm going to want a weird name. Something like Six-Sided Figure. I like the abbreviation "SSF"... mmm, sounds like soft.
[edit]
That or "Dead People's Fingernails". Hee. ;)
In response to Rcet
Rcet wrote:
I like $50,000 Breakfast. I would probably buy a CD if i had no idea what they sounded like, just to see if i should buy thier future CDs.

-Rcet

My favorite band name (and incidentally, one of my favorite bands) is "Sparklehorse."

Now that's a name!
Myself and a coworker were reading through a list of machinery that could be operated under a certain license...

One of them was a Scissor Lift... And we immediately thought that would make an awesome band name...lol

[Edit]: Although, if I ever started a band (meaning if I ever magically gained any musical talent...)...I'd want to name it "That Band"...

And my first album would be named "Debut Album" and all of the tracks would have "Track [number]" as their title...

Just because it would be great to hear a DJ introduce a song...

"And here's a song from 'That Band', off of their debut album, 'Debut Album'... It's called 'Track 4'!"

That would be great...
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
And my first album would be named "Debut Album" and all of the tracks would have "Track [number]" as their title...

I've always wanted to start a band and have its debut album named "[Band.name]'s Greatest Hits".

-AbyssDragon
I would have to go with Immortal Clay. I'm not crazy about real random band names, and while Immortal Clay sounds slightly pretentious, it also sounds more serious. I mean less, uh, fad-of-the-moment. (Well heck, it's immortal!) Or you could call it Quiet Clay, a favorite metaphor of mine. Or heck, just call it The Cremation of Sam McGee.

I've wanted to have a band so I could name it Stalagmite. A rock formation. Huh, huh.

Z
Page: 1 2