ID:137097

Oops. I busted the forum for a few hours today. Should be working again now. Sorry folks!

I've been working like mad to reorganize some database stuff here, because improving the design of a couple things is going to make a lot of difference.

--Dan
Don't worry about it, all that matters is that it works now.
In response to Nadrew
What are you guys using for this forum?
PHP with SQL? MySQL?

LJR
In response to LordJR
CGI, look at the page extenstion.
In response to Nadrew
As good as Dan is with byond, I would not be surprised if this was run as a web-based cgi byond program... certainly do-able in byond I think...
In response to digitalmouse
Actually, the forum, like BYOND itself, is written in C++. Or at least it still was a year or so ago. It uses gdb files for rudimentary database access (I don't think the site's quite busy enough to warrant a switch to a real SQL database just yet) and integrates with Dantom's main server for user authentication, etc.
In response to Air Mapster
Really, wow that's cool! Dantom sure can do alot of stuff.
digitalmouse wrote:
As good as Dan is with byond, I would not be surprised if this was run as a web-based cgi byond program... certainly do-able in byond I think...

Wow, thanks! Actually, I am far from the best DM programmer out there.

But, interestingly, DM is now capable of relational database access, so if we were to do it over again, the forum would most certainly be written in DM. We won't be quite ready to release the database support for a while yet, but it's coming along nicely!

--Dan
In response to Dan
Dan wrote:
But, interestingly, DM is now capable of relational database access, so if we were to do it over again...

That's a big "if"!

Needless to say, the forum will be upgraded with some nifty new search capabilities (alas, in C++) very shortly, if we can ever get this release out to the public. Another big "if"!
In response to Tom
well, keep at it guys! you're doing well so far! As I mentioned once before, I'd be happy to phpNuke your site - I think you would find it very robust, and less of a hassle with daily maintenance.

Speaking of database support - will MySQL be usable as a module/plugin of some sort?; or maybe you'll have some kind of modular system where you can use any type of SQL database system?

will MySQL be usable as a module/plugin of some sort?

Yes. There will simply be a DM library that one includes to get access, but you also need to have the necessary system support already installed. Currently, this works with MySql in Linux, because that is where I am developing it, but the DM interface is designed to be fairly independent of the particular database. Once we get the time to add ODBC support, then pretty much any database in existence would be accessible.

--Dan
In response to Dan
Dan wrote:
Once we get the time to add ODBC support, then pretty much any database in existence would be accessible.

Woo-hoo! Dan's the man! (always wanted to say that)

Actually, as long as I can use MySQL, that's all that matters to me at this point. It gives me more ideas for MUD/2D gaming worlds that might require fairly robust database management...

Originally I was to use a PHP4/Javascript/MySQL4 setup to build an browser-based RPG for a colleague in the States (porting a C-based CircleMUD code to PHP), but now that I see that BYOND has database support I'll be speeding up my BYOND learning curve quickly!
digitalmouse wrote:
Originally I was to use a PHP4/Javascript/MySQL4 setup to build an browser-based RPG for a colleague in the States (porting a C-based CircleMUD code to PHP), but now that I see that BYOND has database support I'll be speeding up my BYOND learning curve quickly!

Are you MAD!??? :)
I try to write CircleMUD myself and eventually gave up. Its too hardcoded for me. I was trying to turn it into a Cyberpunk Gamesystem. Got some areas of it working, but when I got to re-writing the character classes I gave up.

LJR
In response to LordJR
LordJR wrote:
Are you MAD!??? :)

Quite possibly, but I don't let it get to me...

So far PHP->C translations have been no real difficulty for me, except for a few C-specific fuctions/algorithms where I had to write PHP-versions to get it to work. The conversion of CircleMUD to PHP is possible, but long, hard, work. I think doing something like that in BYOND (with the addition of 2D graphics) is also a challenge, but the BYOND system gives more possibilites - hence me 'jumping ship' in regards to porting CircleMUD. I may still try to do it in the future, just to prove it can be done!

Or, at the least, use some of CircleMUD within BYOND - hmmm, now that is an interesting idea: porting CircleMUD to DM? hmmm...
Or, at the least, use some of CircleMUD within BYOND - hmmm, now that is an interesting idea: porting CircleMUD to DM? hmmm...

Lots of MUD bases and the like would be very good in DM, but it's easier to just make your own from scratch. =)
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:

Lots of MUD bases and the like would be very good in DM, but it's easier to just make your own from scratch. =)

I agree. The network code is mostly done for you and there are no strange dependancies to worry about when editing the code. You can make it as modular as you like. Make your own class system, skill system, battle system, or whatever. Then change whatever system you don't like.