Whoops, My school's pc is very slow, i didnt think it would process it. but it did 3 times.
In response to SonVegitto
Well Dantom can't make a DBZ this or DBZ that category because that's like making a dbz game (against the law). That's what the fan game section is for.
Stop abusing html, it gets annoying.
<font color=yellow>With your next hub sorting, i have a few extra category ideas for the games live/listing

<font color=red>1)<font color=white> Dragonball/Z/GT games; There are just so many that
maybe they should have their own folder for access.

<font color=red>2)<font color=white> Also with these categories, everyone should be able to
rate the games, like 0-5 stars, with 5 being the best.

<font color=red>3)<font color=white> A small place for a game's screenshot should be able to
be placed on the game's page, so we could see what the
game looks like before we play it. This could help with
all those <big>Dragonball GT: Genesis</big> rip offs.

Just a few small ideas

<big><font color=yellow>Ken
In response to Nadrew
I tried to delete it but you replied too fast for this pc, same with the one below
Well delete the third one, I won't reply to that.
In response to Dantom
Dantom wrote:
I have just seeded in a few games so as to give an approximate idea of where this is heading. If the authors of those games think they belong elsewhere, simply go to "distribution" in your hub entry and submit to a different channel. It is even possible (though not highly recommended at this point) to publish an item in multiple channels, since the channels are more about audience than about categorization.

I think of Step BYOND as a tutorial (though it certainly could be considered a demo), so I removed it from demos and submitted it for tutorials.

Oh, I should also mention the DM hub: http://www.byond.com/hub/DM/Guild. Same idea as BYOND.Live, but it is intended for developers.

I think this is great. One thing I'm wondering is whether there is/will be a way to cut down the still-remaining noise. Like if you go into libraries, there are a zillion entries, almost all of which are listed as Alpha (oops I better change my status for libraries!), one of which is listed as a demo library in the description (what does that mean, anyway?), and some of which I might be a bit skeptical about the value of.

Don't know if there's a good answer, but if I were a newbie wanting to see libraries of clear value, it might be hard to sort through them.

Perhaps it's just a question of sorting. If the default is already Magic Sort, maybe that will take care of it over time.

Hmm looking at sorting here is a UI suggestion: I think the sorting options should be in a separate popup. It's confusing that the same popup has options for which DM section you want to look at AND for the sorting. I naturally assumed that meant I would get a sorted list of everything in the channel, rather than a sorted version of what I was currently looking at.

Final note: Step BYOND has been downloaded 795 times for the last version...yow!

In response to Deadron
Step Byond is great-it really helped me when I was learning how to code.
In response to SilkWizard
SilkWizard wrote:
Step Byond is great-it really helped me when I was learning how to code.

Thanks. I can only take partial credit though -- the concept and all the real work was done by Tom and...um...a name I'm forgetting at the moment. I just modernized their delightful little game and added comments.
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
Final note: Step BYOND has been downloaded 795 times for the last version...yow!

Wow, that's more than all 6 of the versions of my Leveling System together (which was only 580 something) and yes I actually never really used the code, I got it to play the fun game what comes with it...
I'll say this one more time.... Having a dedicated listing for only DBZ games is a very VERY very bad idea. It would look to Funimation (once they get wind of BYOND) that Dantom is catering to the DBZ games, which might cuase all sorts of leagal troubles for Dantom, including, but not limited to the complete shutdown of BYOND. I don't want to see this happen.

I think Dan and Tom are currently going about this in the perfect manner, by allowing individuals to create their own channels and simply throwng all the fan games together under one public listing. This makes it seem as though the fan games are out of Dantom's hands' (which they are, unless Dan and Tom decide to start banning those types of games, which I doubt they will ever do).

I would say that if you want a special listing for the DBZ games, then create your own channel, and let people list their games there. Otherwise, be happy with the current approach, as it truely is the best.

As for the rating system, I think that would be a great idea, although it would mean some extra work for Tom to modify the cgi... Perhaps after BYOND is in 3.0 and they start the big market push....

~X
2) Also with these categories, everyone should be able to
rate the games, like 0-5 stars, with 5 being the best.

This would be a good feature, but should be limited to that channel. Whoever runs the channel should choose if they want people to be able to vote on the games or not.
In response to Xooxer
I would say that if you want a special listing for the DBZ games, then create your own channel...

There a small problem with this though... There might be just as many people creating DBZ channels (for example) as there are creating DBZ games. I hope Dan and Tom are planning on limiting them somehow.
In response to Dantom
We'll probably turn off the old hub listing in a day or two and officially switch over to the new publication channels.

Can't waite, I'm already getting confused with the old hub listing. ;)
In response to Deadron

I think of Step BYOND as a tutorial (though it certainly could be considered a demo), so I removed it from demos and submitted it for tutorials.

Accepted!

I got bored manually introducing stuff last night, so when I got to DM.Demo, I just dumped all demos + tutorials into that channel and then manually moved a few of those over into tutorials.

In general, the policy is going to be ultra-picky about the contents of DM.Tutorials, medium-picky about DM.Libraries, and low-picky about DM.Demos. To compensate for the low-picky in DM.Demos, we can create DM.Gems and put some of the best demos in there. I'd also like to create DM.Templates for things that are intended to be starter projects, but ideally, the compiler would need to support this a little bit so the user does not have to manually copy the code or edit the original.

Perhaps it's just a question of sorting. If the default is already Magic Sort, maybe that will take care of it over time.

I'm not convinced Magic Sort is very good for DM items, because it doesn't get any live time to go off of. Just going off of the number of downloads may not be very accurate, since something with a catchy title can generate downloads without providing much value. This may just require more direct moderation (which I hate).

I think the sorting options should be in a separate popup.

Probably so. I just inserted the channels in a hurry because I suddenly realized that once you went down into a "child" channel, there was no easy way to get back up.

Great! Going through the hub, I've been seeing some nice big numbers in this respect. I just feel bad we didn't clean up the hub earlier, because a fair number of people have obviously been using it.

--Dan
In response to DM
DM wrote:
I'm not convinced Magic Sort is very good for DM items, because it doesn't get any live time to go off of.

Ah, so Magic Sort is based on live time? What about single player games that aren't being actively hosted? If these don't get counted towards total live time, perhaps such games may get pushed lower in the rankings than they should. Of course, with the new hub layout, this may not be much of an issue, but I'm curious. I always wondered how "magic" the Magic Sort was, and why my games always seemed to float around the listing in a fairly random seeming fashion.
In response to Air Mapster

Ah, so Magic Sort is based on live time?

It is based on a number of things, including live time. However, it has been a continual source of debate with me in the defensive position. I am considering reverting to sorting by date, but I did not like that either, especially with tutorials and such where that is often backwards. My main hope with magic sort was to avoid the need for direct voting either by players or admins, as this can just lead to hard feelings and/or cheating.

What about single player games that aren't being actively hosted?

A good argument for putting those in their own category as others have suggested.

--Dan
In response to Zilal
Zilal wrote:
Is there a plan for somewhere to put things like BYONDPoll? It's not a tutorial or a demo, and it's not a game, and it's not unfinished.

We could create BYOND.Utilities. Does that seem right?

--Dan
In response to Dan
Dan wrote:
Zilal wrote:
Is there a plan for somewhere to put things like BYONDPoll? It's not a tutorial or a demo, and it's not a game, and it's not unfinished.

We could create BYOND.Utilities. Does that seem right?

Only if we make Zilal wear a toolbelt.
This whole channel thing is a pretty incredible addition. I'm just musing on the fact that now we could choose to emulate my favorite game company, Cheapass Games, by providing "DDT game subscriptions". That is, we could set up a DDT game channel where if you subscribe to that one channel for say $10/year, you get full access to all of our games without having to pay individual fees.

And it's amazing that you can tie into a channel you don't own...so people can use something of yours if they have paid to belong to some other channel.

Will be fun to play with pager support tonight!
Page: 1 2 3