In response to Shadowdarke
Shadowdarke wrote:
Vortezz wrote:
Shadowdarke, library it! =)

Hehee, the tall_darke library (handsome not included)!

I'll work on it. I have several libraries in a half complete state. My map maker, movement modes (like Darke Dungeon where you can select quick, directional, and rotational modes), and now the tall mobs library. I just don't feel right releasing them as libraries until they are nearly foolproof. (Nearly foolproof, because anything can be ruined by a sufficiently qualified fool!)

Map maker will be a while, but the others aren't so hard. I'll just have to set aside Tanks for a couple hours and work on them.

NO! CANNOT PUT TANKS ASIDE FOR MORE THAN TWO MINUTES!

BAH!

I'M ALREADY IN TANK WITHDRAWAL!

AHHHHH!!

We need the card, gimme money, I'm hungry!!

Say, Shadow... Lately, I've been in a designer's cramp. I can't think of any games that'd be fun!!

I hate this! I have absolutely NOTHING to try to make! Arg! That's why that withdrawal came up.

Have any ideas for me to make? ;)
In response to Vortezz
Vortezz wrote:
Say, Shadow... Lately, I've been in a designer's cramp. I can't think of any games that'd be fun!!

I hate this! I have absolutely NOTHING to try to make! Arg! That's why that withdrawal came up.

Idea's are everywhere! Books, movies, games, random websites, deep in the forest, high atop skyscrapers, the vast reaches of space, the infinitesimal spaces between atoms. I even get ideas reading the BYOND reference. Find an interesting feature and build a unique game that around it ;)
Shadowdarke wrote:
Vortezz wrote:

Idea's are everywhere! Books, movies, games, random websites, deep in the forest, high atop skyscrapers, the vast reaches of space, the infinitesimal spaces between atoms. I even get ideas reading the BYOND reference. Find an interesting feature and build a unique game that around it ;)

Well, talking to TepesXXX has given me an idea. I think Air Mapster's doing it already. Ah well.

It's a parody of... something... Buahaha.
In response to Vortezz
Vortezz wrote:
FIREking wrote:
oh i didnt understand the circumstances, hehe

anyways, i have tried, but i did it in a unefficient way.

im just looking for a library to tie everything together. once i get the multimob thing happening, my game will be in full effect as of what i wanted it to be, well of course, except the grand master spell that i have been working on forever.(when elements collide)

Oh. Anyhow, here's the code I used, exactly, in a brand new environment.

<code> > obj/head > density = 0 WHEEEEE That actually worked!! Thanks a lot ^___^ it works -exactly- like I wanted it to. No worries about things effecting the head, and the head can overlap other stuff, thus making psudo-3d ^____^ Thank youuuuuuu *pounce* Elorien, supan00b > layer = 5 > > > mob > var > obj/head/top // this is the top of the mob > movetimer // used to limit how quickly the player walks > > > Move(Loc) > // delay movement > if(world.time < movetimer) return > movetimer = world.time + 5 > ..() > > var/turf/T = locate(x,y + 1,z) > if(T) > top.loc = T > else > top.loc = null > > > New(Loc) > ..() > top = new() > > > joe > icon = 'body.dmi' > New() > ..() > top.icon = 'head.dmi' > > > turf > grass > icon = 'grass.dmi' > world/mob = /mob/joe > world/turf = /turf/grass > </code>

There we go, varmint.. I just made the correct icons, and a map, and ran it up. It gave me quite the feeling of joy when it worked!

=)
In response to Vortezz
Vortezz wrote:
Shadowdarke, library it! =)

As mentioned previously, I have a library in progress that supports arbitrarily sized objects and mobs. It's been used in two games, and I'm generalizing it just today so it can be used for another game -- after which I will release it.

Shadow should feel free to release a library if he wishes of course. But my original approach was similar to Shadow's, and I quickly found that you need an approach that supports any size obj/mob if you want things to work beyond a small set of cases.
In response to Elorien
Graahhh.. it worked on its own, but Ive tried to integrate it into my main engine-in-progress, and I get a whole row of errors, mostly bad var stuff.. this is really getting annoying *LOL*

upon further investigation they all seem to be located in my Move()and New() procs.. code is as follows..

proc

Move(Loc)
if(world.time < movetimer) return
movetimer = world.time +3
..()
var/turf/T = locate(x,y+1,z)
if(T)
top.loc=T
else
top.loc=null
New(Loc)
..() //do normal stuff
top = new() //and create a new top when the mob is made

Errors are as follows as well @.@

Engine.dm:30:error:movetimer:bad var
Engine.dm:31:error:movetimer:bad var
Engine.dm:33:error:x:bad var
Engine.dm:33:error:y:bad var
Engine.dm:33:error:z:bad var
Engine.dm:35:error:top.loc:bad var
Engine.dm:37:error:top.loc:bad var
Engine.dm:40:error:top:bad var

Engine.dmb - 8 errors, 0 warnings

Bleh, I dont see why any of these shuojld come up as errors. top and movetimer are of course declared under mob, and I could be wrong, but arent x,y,z and loc built in vars?

Anyhelp would be nice.. Im thinking that this might be aprt of why I couldnt get Shadows first thing working..

Thanks a lot in advance
Elorien
In response to Elorien
Elorien wrote:
Bleh, I dont see why any of these shuojld come up as errors. top and movetimer are of course declared under mob, and I could be wrong, but arent x,y,z and loc built in vars?

They are built into mobs and objects. Your procs don't appear to be tied to either.
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
Elorien wrote:

They are built into mobs and objects. Your procs don't appear to be tied to either.

Okie, thats a start o.o; how would I fix them? Im having problems adapting to object oriented stuff.. Im too used to command line programming x.x;;;;

Elorien
In response to Elorien
Elorien wrote:
Okie, thats a start o.o; how would I fix them? Im having problems adapting to object oriented stuff.. Im too used to command line programming x.x;;;;

Elorien

Have you read the ZBT tutorial?

Have you played with the Step BYOND demo game?

Have you looked through the Getting Started portion of the FAQ?

If you haven't, please do so. If you have, let us know exactly where you found something confusing.

Part of your challenge here is that you are starting off too complicated. For your very first code you are trying to do stuff that I, for example, have been working up to for about a year and am just really accomplishing now.

Start simple. Don't worry about multi-turf mobs. Worry about learning how to indent, and about what an object is. Try to get a single-turf NPC walking around, etc.
In response to Deadron
You really like talking down to people dont you D?

As for ZBT, Ive gone through it, Ive read the FAQ twice, and have been able to make a world with a basic combat engine, including mobs that move and fight back, a delay timer for walking, and attacking that effects pcs and npcs as well as a targeting system that targets the mob directly in front of you, opposed to the attack anything around you proc that ZBT uses. The last one I had some help with, but everything else Ive put together from teh tutorials that are around here now. Im also fairly certain that Ill have a fairly viable weapon/armor and even magic system, a skill based <NO EXP> leveling system, and as soon as I figure out how to fix this multi-tile system (which I can get working on its own, I just cant integrate it with my existing code, so changes are Ill just build around -it- as opposed to building it around my existing stuff)

Im no child, Im simply unacustomed to object oriented programming, something that in the next year I should get substantionaly better with in college over the next year. Im too used to line driven stuff like the older Basic languages.

Anyways, talking down tends to tick people off, as Im sure youve gathered from this rant. If you dont want to help (which is the purpose of this board last time I heard) then dont reply please.

Elorien.
In response to Elorien
Elorien wrote:
Anyways, talking down tends to tick people off, as Im sure youve gathered from this rant. If you dont want to help (which is the purpose of this board last time I heard) then dont reply please.

I reread my post and I don't think I was talking down at all. I was providing a path to creating games in BYOND, part of which you have apparently done already.

I try to help people on a regular basis -- by providing tutorials, libraries, and answers on the forums. But I will honor your request and not help you anymore.
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
Elorien wrote:

I reread my post and I don't think I was talking down at all. I was providing a path to creating games in BYOND, part of which you have apparently done already.

I try to help people on a regular basis -- by providing tutorials, libraries, and answers on the forums. But I will honor your request and not help you anymore.

Good, thank you.

Chances are Ill be able to get this working by coding around my working version anyways.

Elorien
In response to Vortezz
Vortezz wrote:
FIREking wrote:
oh i didnt understand the circumstances, hehe

anyways, i have tried, but i did it in a unefficient way.

im just looking for a library to tie everything together. once i get the multimob thing happening, my game will be in full effect as of what i wanted it to be, well of course, except the grand master spell that i have been working on forever.(when elements collide)

Oh. Anyhow, here's the code I used, exactly, in a brand new environment.

<code> > obj/head > density = 0 > layer = 5 > > > mob > var > obj/head/top // this is the top of the mob > movetimer // used to limit how quickly the player walks > > > Move(Loc) > // delay movement > if(world.time < movetimer) return > movetimer = world.time + 5 > ..() > > var/turf/T = locate(x,y + 1,z) > if(T) > top.loc = T > else > top.loc = null > > > New(Loc) > ..() > top = new() > > > joe > icon = 'body.dmi' > New() > ..() > top.icon = 'head.dmi' > > > turf > grass > icon = 'grass.dmi' > world/mob = /mob/joe > world/turf = /turf/grass > </code>

There we go, varmint.. I just made the correct icons, and a map, and ran it up. It gave me quite the feeling of joy when it worked!

=)

Okie, Ive been messing with this a little bit, and Ive figured out an addition that would go really well in this ^^

Ive slightly modified the Move() proc, and it works a fair bit better, adding in the ability for the head to change dir along with the bod (k, so its really simple to do, but I thought Id post it so people wouldnt assume Im a -complete- noob >:P *glares at personperson*

anyways, the new proc is as follows, its only one line different but oh well ^^

Move(Loc)
//delay movement)
top.dir = src.dir
if(world.time < movetimer) return
movetimer = world.time + 5
..()
playerflick("")
var/turf/T = locate(x,y+1,z)
if(T)
top.loc=T
else
top.loc=null
playerstate("")

thats it ^_^ have fun~

Elorien
In response to Elorien
Elorien wrote:
top.dir = src.dir

Oops! I must have sniped that out when I was removing the other clutter from the Move() proc. Yes, that's a very important line ;)
Shadowdarke wrote:
Elorien wrote:
top.dir = src.dir

Oops! I must have sniped that out when I was removing the other clutter from the Move() proc. Yes, that's a very important line ;)

heheheh ^_^ Im just proud that I figured out another thing on my own ^-^;;;

Elorien
Page: 1 2