ID:154550

Please? =)

Not! Actually, I'm referring to the acronym. Not Knight's In Satan's Service, mind you, but the other, much more relevant, acronym...

KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID!

There's variations on what the finally s*word should be; I know of two, and only one is appropriate for forum use. That appropriate alternative is SILLY. The inappropriate one's syllables rhyme with "chit" and "bread".

But the analogy still stands.

When making your game, don't add a feature just to be cooler than someone else!!!! Add a feature if it adds a lot of meaning to your game. So if someone has a banking system, don't suddenly think that your game, which didn't have a banking system up until that point, suddenly needs one to remain competitive.

Likewise, if you don't know how to add a feature, don't spend countless days and nights perusing the reference on how to do it. Just put it on a todo list, and ignore it. When you've added in all the nice, easy little features, and you think your game is ready for people to try out, put up a little demo, and say that you're tackling the big features now.

Keep it simple! Don't bother with the hard stuff until you're well-ready. Not only is it much easier to do the easy stuff first (...duh), but it builds your confidence and makes hammering out the hard stuff easier too.

* Spuzzum glances left and right. Two men fall on their backs, bleeding and impaled by Spuzzum's icy gaze. Spuzzum found out how to manufacture throwing stares.
YEAH!
i totally agree
as for magic battle final, it did need a banking system, players were dying, and losing gold, and losing there characters, if they had put there stuff in the bank before dying, then they could now happily go back and get the things they lost, at least i hope it worked that way, never heard any complaints

but anyways
i totally agree

FIREking
In response to FIREking
as for magic battle final, it did need a banking system, players were dying, and losing gold, and losing there characters, if they had put there stuff in the bank before dying, then they could now happily go back and get the things they lost, at least i hope it worked that way, never heard any complaints

I was just using that as an example, actually. Banking was the first thing that came to mind. =)

No similarities were intentional. This offer not valid in Hawaii and Puerto Rico. Non-refundable. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

* Spuzzum the Ninja must now learn the ancient art of Kung Fu Disclaimers.
In response to Spuzzum
what the hell do you mean by that!!!!
i didnt add banking cuz other games had it
i added it cuz i need it,
i dont appreciate you saying this

thank you,
FIREking

ps.or maybe you mean something else........
When making your game, don't add a feature just to be cooler than someone else!!!! Add a feature if it adds a lot of
meaning to your game.

I always thought that, when it comes to games, at least, the two go hand in hand. I do agree with your general sentiments; adding something so you can say "Nyah, nyah, I got this and your game doesn't!" is childish and not very pointful.
In response to FIREking
My guess would be that when he said he just picked banking because it was the first thing that came to mind, he meant he just picked banking because it was the first thing that came to mind. But that's just my guess.

Your guess, which seems to have been that he meant "I just picked banking because Fireking used banking in Magic Battle because everyone else used banking and not because he really needed it" is equally valid, as far as guesses go.

On 6/7/01 7:02 pm FIREking wrote:
what the hell do you mean by that!!!!
i didnt add banking cuz other games had it
i added it cuz i need it,
i dont appreciate you saying this

thank you,
FIREking

ps.or maybe you mean something else........
In response to Leftley
exactley
games are games, but they are supposed to have some sort of meaning
adding a feature from another game, and it has nothing to do with your game, or it's players, then that is pointless

unlike what spuzzum said, my game did NOT do this
i did not add a banking system just to be cool
i added it for the pure fact that players needed it, so the players could get their stuff back when they lost their save from the update, and not have to start over from the begining
In response to LexyBitch
Your guess, which seems to have been that he meant "I just picked banking because Fireking used banking in Magic Battle because everyone else used banking and not because he really needed it" is equally valid, as far as guesses go.

hmmmm, ok
In response to FIREking
On 6/7/01 7:10 pm FIREking wrote:
exactley
games are games, but they are supposed to have some sort of meaning
adding a feature from another game, and it has nothing to do with your game, or it's players, then that is pointless

unlike what spuzzum said, my game did NOT do this
i did not add a banking system just to be cool
i added it for the pure fact that players needed it, so the players could get their stuff back when they lost their save from the update, and not have to start over from the begining

Yes, but if you add a pointless feature that has no meaning... then how exactly does it make your game cooler?
In response to Leftley
I can easily see how this post will not further confuse FIREking.

Yes, but if you add a pointless feature that has no meaning... then how exactly does it make your game cooler?
In response to Leftley
On 6/7/01 7:30 pm Leftley wrote:

dude, it doesnt make your game cooler
duh

my banking system was not a pointless feature
and it DID have meaning

how many times do i have to say this
In response to FIREking
On 6/8/01 3:19 am FIREking wrote:
On 6/7/01 7:30 pm Leftley wrote:

dude, it doesnt make your game cooler
duh

my banking system was not a pointless feature
and it DID have meaning

how many times do i have to say this

You only had to say it once. This thread is NOT just about your banking system. This thread is about features in general. A banking system is an example of a possible feature in a game. That's all it gets used as. It's an example, and it would make no difference to Spuzzum's argument whether he was talking about banking or any other feature. NO ONE in this entire thread has EVER said anything about Magic Battle Final except you. This is a thread about gaming philosophy. It is not a thread about banking systems, let alone Magic Battle Final's banking system. I don't mean for this to sound like a flame, as this is just a minor misunderstanding on your part, but you've been viciously defending your game when it hasn't even been brought under attack.

Now, as to this branch of the thread...

Spuzzum said: "When making your game, don't add a feature just to be cooler than someone else!!!! Add a feature if it adds a lot of meaning to your game."

I replied: "I always thought that, when it comes to games, at least, the two [coolness and meaning] go hand in hand."

Spuzzum said that you should add features that add "meaning", not just "coolness." I'm a bit lost on this, because I've never found a game that was cool that didn't have a proportionate amount of pointfulness. My point here is that, if you add a meaningful addition to gameplay, then it's going to make your game cooler; and if you do something that makes your game cooler, then you've added something meaningful. What Spuzzum is talking about is if you add a completely pointless feature out of what amounts to developer peer pressure.

Suppose Mr. X is designing an online multiplayer Tetris clone. Mr. X logs onto the hub one day and checks out some of the other fine works. He happens to stumble across Magic Battle Final, which, as you've repeatedly explained, features a banking system which was added for some very considerable reasons. He says "Woah, COOL! Banking! I wish I had thought of that!" and then goes to work implementing a banking system... for his Tetris clone. A Tetris clone has absolutely no need for a banking system--it's a completely pointless feature for him. Mr. X saw a completely necessary feature (banking in Magic Battle Final) in a game on the hub, and ported it over to his game where it was a completely unnecessary feature (banking in a Tetris clone). This is a silly preadolescent power game which ultimately results in really stupid games.
In response to LexyBitch
Lexybitch for president!

On 6/7/01 7:09 pm LexyBitch wrote:
My guess would be that when he said he just picked banking because it was the first thing that came to mind, he meant he just picked banking because it was the first thing that came to mind. But that's just my guess.

In response to Leftley
I believe we should all recognize the difference between cool meaning "wow-quotient" vs. cool the real thing. I believe Spuzzum was refering to the former. No one would deny the positive effects of adding the latter to your game.

Now, as to this branch of the thread...

Spuzzum said: "When making your game, don't add a feature just to be cooler than someone else!!!! Add a feature if it adds a lot of meaning to your game."

I replied: "I always thought that, when it comes to games, at least, the two [coolness and meaning] go hand in hand."
In response to Leftley
This is a silly preadolescent power game which ultimately results in really stupid games.

Hey, are you insulting--oh, never mind. :)
In response to Skysaw
well, i wish i could understand you guys
cuz it seems that a lot of the time i dont,
maybe im just a big f*cking stupid peice of sh*t or something
but i dont get it

oh well, ill learn one of these days,
plus, spuzzum did mention my game, in a nasty way i though,
he said he used it for an example, and this post is about making features that dont matter to your game, and using magic battle for an example means he is saying it has a pointless feature,
and the only pointless feature in magic battle is the horses, not the banking

so what the heck does he mean when he says using magic battle for an example

*puzzled*
fireking
In response to Skysaw
In response to FIREking
"I was just using that as an example, actually. Banking was the first thing that came to mind. =)"

BANKING was the first thing that came to mind, he said. BANKING. Not Magic Battle. BANKING was the "that" in "I was just using that as an example," not Magic Battle. If you look at Spuzzum's posts, he never mentions your game. Never. Ever. The name doesn't come up.

When someone says "I was just using that as an example, it was the first thing that came to mind," it means, "There's no particular reason I picked this, so please don't think I'm trying to say something about any particular real-life situation."

Final note, if someone says, "It isn't cool when people do (action X)," and you haven't done (action X), then don't assume the person is talking about you. This is a thread about pointless features. If Magic Battle's banking system has a point, then this thread obviously wasn't about Magic Battle.

On 6/8/01 7:29 am FIREking wrote:
but i dont get it

he said he used it for an example, and this post is about making features that dont matter to your game, and using magic battle for an example means he is saying it has a pointless feature,

*puzzled*
fireking
In response to FIREking
No, you're not stupid, you're just hearing bashing when none was intended.

Spuzzum: I was just using that* as an example, actually. Banking was the first thing that came to mind. =)

*"that" meaning *banking* not *your game.*

Spuzzum: "No similarities were intentional."

This should have cleared it up. He is saying if it sounded like he was talking about your game, it was not intentional.

Final analysis, Spuzzum never meant to bash anyone in particular, including you.

On 6/8/01 7:29 am FIREking wrote:
but i dont get it

*puzzled*
fireking
In response to Skysaw
On 6/8/01 6:30 am Skysaw wrote:
I believe we should all recognize the difference between cool meaning "wow-quotient" vs. cool the real thing. I believe Spuzzum was refering to the former. No one would deny the positive effects of adding the latter to your game.

OK, maybe this is just me. But again, a game with "wow-quotient" is a game with both some solid coolness and pointfulness to it. I mean, yeah, "wow-quotient" doesn't automatically equate to full game quality, but if you've got a crappy game with really detailed special effects that are astoundingly powerful and well done but add absolutely nothing, you've got a CRAPPY GAME. Again, maybe this is just me, but there's not an awful lot you could put in a game that could evoke anything resembling a "wow" without having a solid quality base.

That said, I do think that Spuzz meant more "cool" as in "popular", but c'mon, it's a given that any time you do something to try and be "cool" as in "popular", you are in fact doing something incredibly foolish.
Page: 1 2