ID:154560

Upon the conclusion that I am pathetic at dealing with the concept of programming, I've come to the following conclusion:

Let someone else build the MUD base, let them upload it for everyone, and THEN I'll build one. Wouldn't that be wonderful? Only having to add rooms and customize your command systems? That would be much more fun than trying to figure out which commands do which, for me, anyway. Of course, it would have to be a good MUD base...

Too much thinking, not enough sense-making.
On 5/17/01 7:33 pm Foomer wrote:
Upon the conclusion that I am pathetic at dealing with the concept of programming, I've come to the following conclusion:

Let someone else build the MUD base, let them upload it for everyone, and THEN I'll build one. Wouldn't that be wonderful? Only having to add rooms and customize your command systems? That would be much more fun than trying to figure out which commands do which, for me, anyway. Of course, it would have to be a good MUD base...

I have one in progress that already does a lot...but it'll be a long time before I release it publically, if ever. We'll see how push-button I can get it.

Actually its called being lazy.
In response to Ebonshadow
On 5/18/01 7:32 am Ebonshadow wrote:

Yeah, or it could also be called "Preserving sanity", "I give up".
In response to Foomer
On 5/18/01 7:38 am Foomer wrote:

did you even read my post? that was the first thing i wanted to make when i got here buy i desided i could make a mix.. text mud but with the map.. just to spice things up some..
In response to jobe
On 5/18/01 7:53 am jobe wrote:

did you even read my post? that was the first thing i wanted to make when i got here buy i desided i could make a mix.. text mud but with the map.. just to spice things up some..

I actually have one halfway done. It's good enough so somebody could adapt to their needs if they could program. When I get time, I'll finish it up and post it. It even makes it easy to customize the colors of your mud.
On 5/18/01 11:28 am Ebonshadow wrote:
On 5/18/01 7:53 am jobe wrote:

I actually have one halfway done. It's good enough so somebody could adapt to their needs if they could program. When I get time, I'll finish it up and post it. It even makes it easy to customize the colors of your mud.

Personally, I'm just realizing that I work much better when I have something to work with. When one things of how a MUD works, they think rooms, objects, and mobiles. While trying to program a MUD means that you have to impliment these yourself...Which is a bit beyond me.

So, if a pre-designed MUD platform were available, it would make it much simpler to program a MUD to be the way you want it, not to Program a MUD to be a MUD.

--

As far as a text mud with a map, it depends what kind of MUD you're doing if you want something like this. Some MUDS thrive on exploring and mapping things out yourself, with others it's just a hassle.

Just my thoughts.
In response to Foomer
So, if a pre-designed MUD platform were available, it would make it much simpler to program a MUD to be the way you want it, not to Program a MUD to be a MUD.

Me and Al (most people currently here wouldn't know him) were working on one, but he vanished a while ago because he switched internet and essentially... well, vanished.

During the blackout, I decided to start my own. I'm making a Roguelike MUD engine.

And, of course, Roguelike MUDs can be easily and readily converted to graphical MUDs simply by adding icons... that's how the BYOND text-based-map works.

(Basically, I'm making it so I don't have to draw a bunch of icons that people would only rip off... if they don't want it to be a roguelike, they can draw their own graphics! And if they do want it to be a roguelike, they can go right ahead. =)
In response to Spuzzum
On 5/18/01 9:22 pm Spuzzum wrote:

Me and Al (most people currently here wouldn't know him) were working on one, but he vanished a while ago because he switched internet and essentially... well, vanished.

During the blackout, I decided to start my own. I'm making a Roguelike MUD engine.

And, of course, Roguelike MUDs can be easily and readily converted to graphical MUDs simply by adding icons... that's how the BYOND text-based-map works.

(Basically, I'm making it so I don't have to draw a bunch of icons that people would only rip off... if they don't want it to be a roguelike, they can draw their own graphics! And if they do want it to be a roguelike, they can go right ahead. =)

i dont think he wants the text map.. i think he is thinking about a telnet/zmud mud. (what i was wondering was if we made it all text would telnet or zmud work to connect to it??? i mean if it could that would be killer and it would bring in a SH*TLOAD of programers (that means alot of book sales too) so consider this a feature request.. when they are unbanned.. this is one that would be hard to do but it would also bring lots of attention to BYOND...)
In response to jobe
That would be the ultimate feature, if dantom mad it possible to telnet to text based byond games, I would be extremely happy =).
In response to jobe
i dont think he wants the text map.. i think he is thinking about a telnet/zmud mud. (what i was wondering was if we made it all text would telnet or zmud work to connect to it??? i mean if it could that would be killer and it would bring in a SH*TLOAD of programers (that means alot of book sales too) so consider this a feature request.. when they are unbanned.. this is one that would be hard to do but it would also bring lots of attention to BYOND...)

Yes...text maps and any kind of maps at all decrease use of imagination, therefor decreasing use of mental power, therefor increasing likely hood that a bunch of mentally-unusing people will go around killing everyone else for no reason. (Assuming I made that possible.)

BYOND muds on Telnet would be fantasticus. A pre-built and ready to modify BYOND mud on Telnet would be even more fantasticus.
On 5/19/01 5:04 pm Ebonshadow wrote:
That would be the ultimate feature, if dantom mad it possible to telnet to text based byond games, I would be extremely happy =).

Been requested, rerequested, and rererequested, and many times, at that. ;-)

Not gonna happen anytime soon, though... it'd take a good bit of fudging to get a BYOND Telnet client working.
In response to jobe
i dont think he wants the text map.. i think he is thinking about a telnet/zmud mud.

I knew that! I was just saying, I'm working on a basis for Roguelike MUDs, so if someone wanted to make a tile-based MUD quickly, they could add icons, draw up a map, use the various procs in the code to do special things, etc.

I'm trying to design it to be user-adaptible... that is, it is completely object-oriented. Then, if someone makes a mod for it, they are encouraged to share it with other people.

In fact, I might even require that to use the MUD source, you must upload a library or other bit of code for it for other people to use. Not sure, though. It would greatly accelerate peoples' introduction into the program, though!

Someone else should probably make a plug-n-play text-based MUD engine, too, though. That's not gonna be me, since I have enough to worry about.

(what i was wondering was if we made it all text would telnet or zmud work to connect to it??? i mean if it could that would be killer and it would bring in a SH*TLOAD of programers (that means alot of book sales too) so consider this a feature request.. when they are unbanned.. this is one that would be hard to do but it would also bring lots of attention to BYOND...)

See my reply to Ebonshadow's reply.
In response to Spuzzum
On 5/20/01 2:51 pm Spuzzum wrote:
On 5/19/01 5:04 pm Ebonshadow wrote:

Been requested, rerequested, and rererequested, and many times, at that. ;-)

Not gonna happen anytime soon, though... it'd take a good bit of fudging to get a BYOND Telnet client working.

yeah but it would be one hell of a trick...
In response to Spuzzum
On 5/18/01 9:22 pm Spuzzum wrote:

That could still be lots of fun to tamper with, even if it's not what I want. :o) As long as the code is available that's all I need to waste enough of my time to make it worthwhile.
In response to Foomer
I think I have a good Roguelike database structure drawn out.
I would realy like to work on this project. What I wrote on this database is to large to post here.
However if any one would like to see it please just ask.

Suzzum, Please include me in your project, this will only help my project in the long run.

Questlarp
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:

Yeah that's true. Just ask Evercrack and Diku, (or so the story goes.) (oops, did I say the quiet part loud again?)

In response to Gbrown
Yeah that's true. Just ask Evercrack and Diku, (or so the story goes.) (oops, did I say the quiet part loud again?)

I'm one of the proponents that believes it's impossible for Sony/Enix to have built a coordinate-based RPG from a room-based MUD source. Aside from the concept being laughable -- why on Earth would a major company want to use copyright-protected source code? -- it's fundamentally impossible. For example: if I wanted to make a 2D game, I wouldn't download a 3D engine to do it. The concepts behind them are far too different.

That's all pretty moot, though -- this was discussing roguelike MUDs, not traditional room-based MUDs.

And in the future, try not to revive ancient threads, please.