ID:154562

On 5/13/01 12:53 am FIREking wrote:
well of course, you would consider the type of game play too, like does the game have battle system, does the game have character development, does the game have character interaction? these are the things that make up true rpgs

Actually, I disagree. Some of the best RPG's have no combat whatsoever. I'm referring to "Sims", IRC games where people simply chat away, acting out a role, and there are no rules, other than to "be reasonable". So if you pull out your phaser and shoot a Cardassian, the people simming with you wouldn't mind. You would accomplish that simply by typing:

LtJG_Spuzzum> ::sets his phaser to kill and burns a hole through one of the Cardassians:: Eat this!

No mechanics, no rules, and most importantly, no battle system! =)

The following wouldn't be allowed though, because it is almost completely impossible:

LtJG_Spuzzum> ::whips out his phaser and kills all ten Cardassians before they even knew what hit them:: Pitiful Cardassian fools! I am your GOD!

Of course, since most of these "sims" are regulated by moderators (who usually are the CO of the ship, and they guide you through the adventure), you can be assured that if you do something that's relatively unlikely, they'll whisper something to you to change that to something more likely.

Though, the end goal, of course, is to have fun!
Yeah... ego trips thinly veiled as freeform roleplaying tick me off. ("i.e., Wally the Wizard chants a few words under his breath and the five-million-strong Mandakorian Legion explodes in a shower of blood.")
In response to Leftley
I was going to say something about freeform roleplaying via IRC and such being essentially a story written simultaneously by multiple authors, but then I had an idea: Make a BYOND game wherein the players do, in fact, take turns writing a story, line by line, and vote as they go on who's the best writer. Lexiconomy writ large! If you wanted to take it a step further, you could have the game randomly generate a setup and then secretly give each player goals they're trying to write the story into; one player might be assigned the goal of killing a certain character off, another player might have the goal of working in a certain random (VERY random, I should point out) phrase into the story, etc., and then for the round-end score players would vote on which goal was accomplished in the best manner.

Hmmm... any thoughts on this? I could just be delusional from sleep loss, but this sounds kinda fun and actually accomplishable with my meager coding skills. And best of all, no graphics for me to bog myself down in!
In response to Leftley
On 5/13/01 11:39 am Leftley wrote:
I was going to say something about freeform roleplaying via IRC and such being essentially a story written simultaneously by multiple authors, but then I had an idea: Make a BYOND game wherein the players do, in fact, take turns writing a story, line by line, and vote as they go on who's the best writer. Lexiconomy writ large! If you wanted to take it a step further, you could have the game randomly generate a setup and then secretly give each player goals they're trying to write the story into; one player might be assigned the goal of killing a certain character off, another player might have the goal of working in a certain random (VERY random, I should point out) phrase into the story, etc., and then for the round-end score players would vote on which goal was accomplished in the best manner.

Hmmm... any thoughts on this? I could just be delusional from sleep loss, but this sounds kinda fun and actually accomplishable with my meager coding skills. And best of all, no graphics for me to bog myself down in!

Go ahead! I'd definitely play, I'm sure Gug would, and Zilal would get a good laugh from it, too. =)

Maybe it could save the stories to a file, and then we could access those stories like television broadcasts in other games! ...Heh, okay, that's going to far. But it is a great idea, and I like it.

(It should save the stories, though. That is, it logs the time it was saved, and then when people log in they can read the stories that have been created in the past. Unless that's too much work. But it should save them one way or another. =)
In response to Spuzzum
I have a card game called Once Upon a Time; there are story element cards and ending cards, and everyone draws several of the former and one of the latter. The object is to use up all your cards while steering the story toward your ending. One person starts out.. "Once upon a time there was a princes [plays princess card]. She was beautiful [plays beautuful card] but she was also very sad." [Here opponent happens to have "sad" card, and plays it, stealing control of the story.] And so on.

Z
In response to Zilal
On 5/15/01 1:46 pm Zilal wrote:
I have a card game called Once Upon a Time; there are story element cards and ending cards, and everyone draws several of the former and one of the latter. The object is to use up all your cards while steering the story toward your ending. One person starts out.. "Once upon a time there was a princes [plays princess card]. She was beautiful [plays beautuful card] but she was also very sad." [Here opponent happens to have "sad" card, and plays it, stealing control of the story.] And so on.

Z

Actually, the use of cards for various things in this sort of game did occur to me. So did the use of rocket launchers, but I think that's probably just me.
In response to Leftley
On 5/15/01 3:04 pm Leftley wrote:
On 5/15/01 1:46 pm Zilal wrote:

Z

Actually, the use of cards for various things in this sort of game did occur to me. So did the use of rocket launchers, but I think that's probably just me.

well i like the card idea for adgictives but not verbs or nouns. and you have to use an adjictive you have every turn. yeah that would be cool.