ID:154575

Does anybody else suffer mad lag whenever somebody logs into or out of their game?
On 3/17/01 11:11 am ebonshadow wrote:
Does anybody else suffer mad lag whenever somebody logs into or out of their game?

Nope never hapend yet.

No, not on my end. It depends on how many procs you have running for a mob whenever they get created; so if, for example, you had eight procs that get called whenever a mob is created;

mob/New()
..()
EnergyLowBreathLoop()
HPRechargeLoop()
KiRechargeLoop()
EnergyRechargeLoop()
//and whatever else... I can't really think of any in the span of a few seconds =)

then every time a player logs in, eight procs will suddenly get started up. It doesn't matter if the procs themselves loop at random times; it matters that they are all being called simultaneously initially. It's better that if you're doing loops, to have them spawn at random intervals:

mob/New()
..()
spawn(rand(1,5)) EnergyLowBreathLoop()
spawn(rand(1,5)) HPRechargeLoop()
spawn(rand(1,5)) KiRechargeLoop()
spawn(rand(1,5)) EnergyRechargeLoop()
//and so on

Of course, you might already do that... in which case, I'm as intrigued as you are.
In response to Spuzzum
On 3/17/01 7:22 pm Spuzzum wrote:

No, not on my end. It depends on how many procs you have running for a mob whenever they get created; so if, for example, you had eight procs that get called whenever a mob is created;

mob/New()
..()
EnergyLowBreathLoop()
HPRechargeLoop()
KiRechargeLoop()
EnergyRechargeLoop()
//and whatever else... I can't really think of any in the span of a few seconds =)

then every time a player logs in, eight procs will suddenly get started up. It doesn't matter if the procs themselves loop at random times; it matters that they are all being called simultaneously initially. It's better that if you're doing loops, to have them spawn at random intervals:

mob/New()
..()
//and so on

Of course, you might already do that... in which case, I'm as intrigued as you are.

actually I do them all in one proc and it counts ticks. It always happens on del(src) or something like that it seems.
In response to Ebonshadow
On 3/17/01 8:12 pm ebonshadow wrote:
On 3/17/01 7:22 pm Spuzzum wrote:

mob/New()
..()
EnergyLowBreathLoop()
HPRechargeLoop()
KiRechargeLoop()
EnergyRechargeLoop()

mob/New()
..()
//and so on

actually I do them all in one proc and it counts ticks. It always happens on del(src) or something like that it seems.

I found the problem! If you have a loop like that and you do while(1), it causes major lag on logout! :).