ID:138270

This is just to let you all know what's cooking, so you don't think we've been sitting idle these past few days. (Quite the reverse!)

We did a lot of thinking about the hub and got a lot of useful feedback after the last round of development. One good thing about this project is we never let personal feelings interfere with progress. I've got a black eye and Tom has a sore gut to prove it.

Anway, one of the things we decided is that the hub needs to be even more tightly integrated with the BYOND sofware. The location reporter (ie the status information you see in the pager) and the "live" hub were working independently, which was not only inefficient, but ultimately confusing. Also, the need to include an additional library in your project to integrate with the hub was potentially too much of a hindrance to it really catching on.

To make a long story short, we've got a new release coming that will make all of those concerns history. We also decided to blow the old hub away and re-implement a specialized player hub in its place. The "DM Resources" area where we will all be able to share code snips, libraries, and such will no longer be a part of the hub. Tom's working on an extension to the existing forum for handling that sort of thing. Should be much more streamlined than hub version 2.

Stay tuned...

--Dan
On 12/7/00 7:32 pm Dan wrote:
This is just to let you all know what's cooking, so you don't think we've been sitting idle these past few days. (Quite the reverse!)

Oh I've had a sense of big things cooking...

Also, the need to include an additional library in your project to integrate with the hub was potentially too much of a hindrance to it really catching on.

Hey, BaseCamp was going to handle that! You're squashing third-party opportunities!

(Welcome to the world of Apple...)

I totally agree -- it's become clear that hub functionality deserves first class treatment in the system.

Meantime I'm working on my big release, BaseCamp, which I hope will shorten typical game development considerably, especially for newcomers.

And future releases should really shorten it, as most typical RPG features become on/off switches in BaseCamp.
In response to Deadron

Hey, BaseCamp was going to handle that! You're squashing third-party opportunities!

Oops! But I think you will get over that when you see the new "version update notification" system. What we do for BYOND updates, you can now do with your own distributed software. The next step, of course, is to make it even easier to install the update, but just informing people and giving them a nice simple link to click is a great start.

Meantime I'm working on my big release, BaseCamp, which I hope will shorten typical game development considerably, especially for newcomers.

Sounds nifty!