ID:138481

I'm sure this idea hasn't escaped the crack minds (cracked minds?) in the Dantom laboratories, but given this quote from myself in a previous post:

Yup, Byond now provides perhaps the most flexible and integrated information system I've seen in any game. And the programming is VASTLY easier to do than programming a dynamic website, even though the tasks are exactly the same.

Have you guys thought about ways to have Byond be a web server? I would convert my website over to it in a second.

Strange you should mention that idea. I was just thinking of it myself and getting that creepy must-work-on-this-even-though-I-shouldn't feeling. I think you may be right--it could turn out to be a pretty good platform for hosting dynamic web sites. Since many worlds will probably have a related web site, it would certainly simplify things to serve it all through the same system.

I need to clarify in my mind how things would interact in this scenerio. Obviously one could write a bunch of cgi programs in DM. I'm planning on writing a suitable script to make that possible when I get a spare moment. However, it would be nice to open things up a little more than that to take advantage of BYOND's inherent multi-user capabilities. That requires a little more thought...

In response to Dan
On 7/21/00 9:03 pm Dan wrote:
I need to clarify in my mind how things would interact in this scenerio. Obviously one could write a bunch of cgi programs in DM. I'm planning on writing a suitable script to make that possible when I get a spare moment. However, it would be nice to open things up a little more than that to take advantage of BYOND's inherent multi-user capabilities. That requires a little more thought...

Yes, one of the major jobs of a web server is taking care of knowing who the user is in a transparent way. Within Byond's own world you can do this much easier than in the nasty world of the web...but if you can crack that...

However, even without this I would be quite interested in Byond as a web server -- just for the ability to put together dynamic pages very easily, even if they aren't customized on a per-user basis.