ID:138560

The auto-saving stuff you are adding in looks very interesting. It will reduce a lot of code and be a programming time-saver.

I don't think I've seen another system that supports this level of automation while remaining customizable -- are you guys using an approach you've seen elsewhere, or inventing it as you go along?
On 6/6/00 10:45 am Deadron wrote:
The auto-saving stuff you are adding in looks very interesting. It will reduce a lot of code and be a programming time-saver.

That's the intention. Dan is currently violating our non-coding pact and putting in a couple of hard-coded procs to do default world saving as well, so it should be even easier.

I don't think I've seen another system that supports this level of automation while remaining customizable -- are you guys using an approach you've seen elsewhere, or inventing it as you go along?

Thanks! We pretty much let this project guide itself, getting new ideas from the wonderful posters here and implementing them in a way to be consistent with the generalized theme. We can't avoid being influenced by existing systems out there, but we don't make an explicit attempt to do so (aside from consistency issues, such as the C++-esque base syntax of DM).

I have nothing to do with this last feature, though. I thought that Dan came up with a very nice automated compromise to the world saving suggestion. The funny thing is that he mainly did it so that he could satisfactorily document the chapter on savefiles in the new book! Documentation appears to be a big motivator for this project. Nothing sickens me more than a technically sound system that is so poorly documented as to be useless (I won't point fingers here, but I'm sure some long time coders know that of which I speak).
In response to Tom H.
Nothing sickens me more than a technically sound system that is so poorly documented as to be useless (I won't point fingers here, but I'm sure some long time coders know that of which I speak).

MFC. I win, right?
In response to Spuzzum
On 6/6/00 4:01 pm Spuzzum wrote:
Nothing sickens me more than a technically sound system that is so poorly documented as to be useless (I won't point fingers here, but I'm sure some long time coders know that of which I speak).

MFC. I win, right?

You look through Windows programming documentation long enough and you get sick to your stomach... I mean come on, THERE HAS TO BE A... BETTER... WAY! SCOTTY, ... WE ... NEED ... MORE ... POWER ... AND ... A ... BETTER ... OS! GAATEESS!!!!

:-) Sorry for the cheesy Star Trek refs... couldn't help it.
In response to WorldMaker

THERE HAS TO BE A... BETTER... WAY! SCOTTY, ... WE ... NEED ... MORE ... POWER ... AND ... A ... BETTER ... OS! GAATEESS!!!!

William Shatner is Canadian too ;-)

==========> The More You Know
In response to Spuzzum
On 6/6/00 4:01 pm Spuzzum wrote:

MFC. I win, right?

Well when I was codeing with Visual C++ 5 the documentation on the MFC was pretty good unfortunatly half of it worked as documented and worse some of the function calls I triied to use did absolutly nothing!?!