ID:138569

Okay, I'm still looking for a way of converting a large image (note, if i say imanage, I mean image... I've mistyped it every time now...) into turfs without having to cut it into thousands of 32x32 sections.

Have there been any changes (or has someone come up with a way) to do this?

I'm basically creating a MUD that uses the world travel map similar to the Realm of Arkania games which are ten years out of date. I have a feeling this will be more usefull as a standalone RPG or Rogue game than in a MUD due to travel time but I still want to try it out.

Currently, I'm using an alternative which is to standardize tiles so terrain types never exceed 2x3, thus making a 10x10 desert only require 6 images instead of 100. Not as pretty or detailed, but easier to handle.

Okay, I'm still looking for a way of converting a large image (note, if i say imanage, I mean image... I've mistyped it every time now...) into turfs without having to cut it into thousands of 32x32 sections.

Hmm... I've been grappling with a similar problem. Here's my plan:

1) Take the original map graphic and resize it so 1 pixel = 1 tile (turf). (Just finished this step last night... if you're curious, see the link in the "news" section at Hiawathaland. The bottom half of the picture is kind of interesting.)

2) Overlay it with a grid, with lines at every 11th pixel.

3) Print it out.

4) Copy it into the map editor one 11x11 screen at a time (just like one of those drawing exercises for kids, where you can make a decent copy of a grid-overlaid picture by copying each box's contents individually).

I asked Deadron for his map-saving code because I thought I'd try defining some kind of coordinate data file and build the basic map from that; but my current thought is that the square-by-square method should work fine.

My understanding is that Dantom included the "painter" stuff partly as a way of facilitating things like this, but I think right now it's just a stub for functionality to come later.
In response to Guy T.
On 6/2/00 6:34 am Guy T. wrote:

My understanding is that Dantom included the "painter" stuff partly as a way of facilitating things like this, but I think right now it's just a stub for functionality to come later.

Yes. The "area painting" tool needs a bit of upgrading to become truly useful. The intention was to allow various icons to be overlayed in the bottommost area layer in order to support variations in backgrounds. However, as you both of noted, it would be infinitely more useful if both variation and _size_ could be supported. In theory it would not be that difficult to support arbitrary sizes for the background images, and we will definitely do it at some point. Right now, however, we are on a mini-pact of sorts to stop coding and concentrate on stability and docs. Admittedly, we have not succumbed to this kind of change for long when it has presented itself in the past, so we'll see how we do this time :)

At any rate, you can mimic the effect in the current system, but it takes a lot of work, splicing and dicing images to the appropriate size. Alternatively, you can try to use the web browser display to handle images, by sending files ala browse('imagename').
Have you tried something like Dicer, which is a tool for chopping images specifically for Web imagemaps, but might work? Some commercial programs also have imagemap dicing... Sorry I can't recall any links, but I'll... look.

On 6/1/00 11:12 pm Gabriel wrote:

I'm basically creating a MUD that uses the world travel map similar to the Realm of Arkania games which are ten years out of date. I have a feeling this will be more usefull as a standalone RPG or Rogue game than in a MUD due to travel time but I still want to try it out.

Currently, I'm using an alternative which is to standardize tiles so terrain types never exceed 2x3, thus making a 10x10 desert only require 6 images instead of 100. Not as pretty or detailed, but easier to handle.
In response to WorldMaker
On 6/2/00 11:57 pm WorldMaker wrote:
Have you tried something like Dicer, which is a tool for chopping images specifically for Web imagemaps, but might work? Some commercial programs also have imagemap dicing... Sorry I can't recall any links, but I'll... look.

On the subject of picture dicing programs, there is a plethora of utilities available to do just that. I can fix you all up with Picture Dicer, and my homemade byond.grd file that allows you to split pictures up to 50x50 tiles big.

(Oh, I never got a chance to say this... that file format was easy, Guy ;-)
In response to Spuzzum
On the subject of picture dicing programs, there is a plethora of utilities available to do just that. I can fix you all up with Picture Dicer, and my homemade byond.grd file that allows you to split pictures up to 50x50 tiles big.

Don't download byondgrd.zip yet, I just caught a small bug that doesn't make the file work right. I'll upload the new one as fast as I can.
In response to Spuzzum
Don't download byondgrd.zip yet, I just caught a small bug that doesn't make the file work right. I'll upload the new one as fast as I can.

Okay, its fixed.
In response to WorldMaker
On 6/2/00 11:57 pm WorldMaker wrote:
Have you tried something like Dicer, which is a tool for
chopping images specifically for Web imagemaps, but might
work? Some commercial programs also have imagemap
dicing... Sorry I can't recall any links, but I'll...
look.

I've used Picture Dicer which works fine, the problem is that if I have a 100x100 map, that's ten thousand tiles I have to label and include. While I know I could do it, it's too much work.

I'm guessing there's nothing new in the program that will help handle this, so I'll keep working on it.

Thanks!