ID:138614

There has been mention of trying the telnet connection, but in spite of searching all over I can't find any instructions on the site for how to hook up.

If someone can educate me, I can attempt to connect using my Mac from work!
There has been mention of trying the telnet connection, but in spite of searching all over I can't find any instructions on the site for how to hook up.

If someone can educate me, I can attempt to connect using my Mac from work!

D'oh! Sorry, but it's the other way around... you use Dream Seeker to connect as a Telnet client.

For that, something like this should work--just type it at the command line:

telnet://oldfashionedmud.com:1234

As far as I know, though, you can't use a generic Telnet client to visit a BYOND world.
In response to Guy T.
On 5/4/00 12:42 pm Guy T. wrote:

As far as I know, though, you can't use a generic Telnet client to visit a BYOND world.

Yup, not yet. But that will be possible soon!
In response to Tom H.

Yup, not yet. But that will be possible soon!

Soon, eh? Actually, I am curious if anybody out there is interested in telnetting to BYOND worlds (as opposed to telnetting from the BYOND client to other telnet worlds). It could be done by putting the unix BYOND client (which currently only runs in the terminal) on a port somewhere for people to telnet to and from there to go to whatever world they want. No graphics or anything, but you could do it from anywhere. Any takers?
In response to Dan
Soon, eh? Actually, I am curious if anybody out there is interested in telnetting to BYOND worlds (as opposed to telnetting from the BYOND client to other telnet worlds). It could be done by putting the unix BYOND client (which currently only runs in the terminal) on a port somewhere for people to telnet to and from there to go to whatever world they want. No graphics or anything, but you could do it from anywhere. Any takers?

If I understand what you're saying, basically you'd have something like the Hub, except it would permit access via the Telnet client of your choice, with all the limitations that go along with that. If so... sounds cool! It would certainly help the Mac-afflicted.

Would you be able to use BYOND's text icon option (e.g., o = rock, . = pebble, ^ = bird)? I imagine that would require the server to send lots of cursor control codes to the generic client. Regardless, it would still be handy to be able to use the power of DM to write old-fashioned text muds that can be reached through telnet clients. And you could use the Unix portal to encourage people to trade up to the BYOND client.
In response to Dan
Cerulea's future clientelle would definitely appreciate that. And I'd be very appreciative too.

Z
In response to Dan

Features are great. I love new features. I'm already blown away by IRC... but features are great. I love new features. =)