ID:132192

If you were to agree on looking through a BYOND game's source code, how much do you think you could agree upon as a general hourly rate?
OrangeWeapons wrote:
If you were to agree on looking through a BYOND game's source code, how much do you think you could agree upon as a general hourly rate?

There are people on this site far better than me at DM, so I wouldn't even be the right person to ask.
In response to Tom
Any suggestions?
I should totally get into this. I already suck so badly that I'm wasting my time trying to help others. I could charge 40 EUR/hour and make some money on the side!

... Except this is the BYOND community, and I'm unlikely to see a dime. :(
Why would you pay someone to look through your code? If you're just trying to find errors or optimize things, you can post on the forums about it for free.

Regardless of why, from what I've heard, freelance programmers(at least good ones) charge anywhere from $20-100/hour.
In response to Robertbanks2
Robertbanks2 wrote:
Why would you pay someone to look through your code? If you're just trying to find errors or optimize things, you can post on the forums about it for free.

Regardless of why, from what I've heard, freelance programmers(at least good ones) charge anywhere from $20-100/hour.

This is what bothers me about many BYOND forum users. I asked a question, and you're questioning my question with no advice to give.
It will depend on the person who is doing the consulting, the amount of workload you want to give him, and how messy/inefficient your code is.

I doubt you'll get any better than $20/hr though. Consulting isn't cheap.
Charging per hour is somewhat flawed because of various factors like how quickly someone types, how thoroughly they test/re-read code, etc.
In response to OrangeWeapons
OrangeWeapons wrote:
Robertbanks2 wrote:

This is what bothers me about many BYOND forum users. I asked a question, and you're questioning my question with no advice to give.

You seem to be ignoring the part where I gave you a general price range for what you're requesting.

Also, why you need someone to do it would obviously affect the price considerably. It's going to be more expensive if you want them to actually work on it, and probably free if you just want them to look at it(there are plenty of narutards who would probably love to do just that).
In response to OrangeWeapons
OrangeWeapons wrote:
Any suggestions?

BrickSquadron wrote:
It will depend on the person who is doing the consulting, the amount of workload you want to give him, and how messy/inefficient your code is.
I doubt you'll get any better than $20/hr though. Consulting isn't cheap.

I think at $25/hr I'll look over, fix, and/or optimize your code no matter how messy/inefficient it is. xhiead ala gmail. ;)
I suppose it depends on the person, circumstances and your ability to barter lol.
I would document what I did in a given hour, read through your code, take detailed notes about what needs to be fixed or optimized (along with small tutorials and notes on how to accomplish this), and stress test your game (optional) for $10 an hour.

I would do the same (minus the tutorials and notes) and then do the work myself for $15 an hour.