ID:202278

Keywords: faymoor
Last night I finished up the HUD-generation system for Faymoor, I could have used F_A's library but it just confused me. After being utterly bamboozled by his library I started try to piece together my own system that I actually understood, and seriously it is not easy, I did learn quite a lot and it turned out to be a fun and challenging experience so oh well.

I have a show and hide proc, a proc for generating multiple pieces in a row/column format and a HUD-object moving proc. They all seem to work without any trouble so I am pretty pleased, I'll post a screen shot below. Any comments on what you think would be nice and if enough people wish I will make it into a library, probably not needed with F_A's system there but I guess a choice of tools is nice.

inventory_screenshot.png
Quick screenshot showing the test inventory for Faymoor open.
Probably but this was more fun and it helped me learn some new stuff so I don't mind spending a little extra time.
Why is it opaque?
Why is what opaque?
My bad, transparent ( always get those words mixed up ). Also, inventory boxes.
Oh because you press I and it darkens the map and then shows you then inventory so you can still see what happening in the background.

edit. I may change it to a box version but I like that tbh.
That would be kind of annoying though. If I'm looking at my inventory, I care about whats in my inventory more than whats going on in the background, so the boxes and the contents of my inventory should be 100% visible. Making them opaque just makes looking at the inventory annoying.

Like this. The background is taken out of focus, but the inventory box is still completely visible.

Edit: Why do I keep saying opaque? Transparent I mean, lol.
That's for single player games though!, what if a horde of EVIL monsters or players appear while you have your invent up ET you might need to see T_T! maybe :)?
In response to Teka123
Teka123 wrote:
That's for single player games though!, what if a horde of EVIL monsters or players appear while you have your invent up ET you might need to see T_T! maybe :)?

What if I'm looking through my inventory but can't make out what an item is because a goblin in the background is occupying the same space as the inventory box?

If you still want players to see what's going on in the background, I would suggest not even fading the background to begin with. Make a small inventory box that is movable so players can put it wherever they want to. It seems counterproductive to fade the background, but then change the inventory so they can see what you just distorted. If you want them to see the background, don't distort it to begin with.
Yut Put wrote:
pretty sure skyrim's inventory window takes up barely any space at all and leaves a big transparent gap

also TES pauses the game-play

Exactly - a transparent gap, not a transparent inventory window. The window I just showed is completely visible, with a faded area around it.
Hmm I don't like the idea of having a box, The map is reasonably small and a box would just clutter the screen and I don't want multiple windows. There will also be no problem seeing what's in the inventory as they are almost completely opaque, the idea is just to provide an outline of background action.

Edit. You don't see the actual item in the inventory slots, they will each have am individual picture the size of an inventory slot to fill that slots space, if that makes sense.

Edit2. there will also be a hot slot system to quickly access items and spells so you will never use this during actual combat.
Er, you should probably just show a picture with an item actually in the inventory. It would be easier to critique it that way.
Hmm it's not an actual inventory system yet just HUD-objects lol but ill make one quick.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Okay made a quick mock item but I think it gives the general idea.
withitem.png
Oh, of course, that's good. I thought you were going to have a transparent box with an item inside of it.

Carry on.
Haha no and I will thank you.
I could see having use for this. I've been trying to figure out Forum_account's library for a while and what I currently have doesn't work very well.
hmm well I'll work on it a bit and make it presentable if enough people want it.
If you're having trouble with my HUD library, post questions on its hub entry. What you've posted in the screenshot is pretty easy to create with the library. It'd be something like this:

HudInventory
parent_type = /HudGroup

New()
..()

for(var/y = 0 to 4)
for(var/x = 0 to 7)
add(x * 32, y * 32, "item-slot")

pos(128, 96)

mob
var
HudInventory/hud_inventory

Login()
..()
hud_inventory = new()

And you can call the hud_inventory object's hide() and show() procs to show or hide the inventory. You can also call its pos() proc if you want to change where it's located. It certainly beats writing code to compute screen_locs by hand.
In response to Forum_account
I understand all of that except where the item slot comes into it, what is that all about?
Page: 1 2