ID:228256

If you set a map's icon-size to 0.01, it will stretch to fill the control without preserving the aspect ratio. That means, no more black bars!

The only glitch is that, when the control is resized, it requires a re-draw or else the map will be blacked out.
I'm sure that that looks absolutely disgusting, but useful, probably.
This is perfect for what I wanted to do, thanks for the heads up. I think it'll also be perfect for people doing the full-screen glitch (unless they fixed that)
If I do this, it just gives me a black screen.
Kaiochao wrote:
The only glitch is that, when the control is resized, it requires a re-draw or else the map will be blacked out.

Meaning, I've only noticed the black screen after resizing the control. Having the map re-draw (by moving around, witnessing a movement, icon change, etc) will, of course, re-draw the map.
This also gives me a black screen, I'm not sure what the parameters are for your test though, maybe give a demo if you think it's something people can use?
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
I'm sure that that looks absolutely disgusting, but useful, probably.

Not necessarily. If a window is stretched to be slightly off the aspect ratio you'll see black bars and they'll look ugly, even if they're just a few pixels wide. If you stretch the icons to match this aspect ratio it won't look much different since the window's aspect ratio is only slightly off.

I tend to not mind the black bars, but it looks especially odd when you have black space around the edge of the map that players can see. When you can see some of the black that's part of the map it looks like the black bar is part of the map too. When you move in a way that fills the map control with actual icons (as opposed to black parts of the map), the black bar will suddenly look out of place.
It wouldn't look too bad if you could control the filtering.