ID:100361

Resolved
Saving an animated icon in .gif format caused artifacts.
BYOND Version:474
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate
Web Browser:Firefox 3.5.11
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Duplicates:id:100405
Descriptive Problem Summary:When I save a dmi as a gif animation it lowers quality greatly. I never had this problem in previous versions of byond.

Expected Results:the same quality icon as when it was in dmi format

Actual Results:Piece of junk low quality gif image

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?: Yes every time.
On other computers?: Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?: Previous Byond version

Workarounds:Reverting back to a previous Byond version.

I'd have to see the icon, but this doesn't sound like a bug. The code to save as a .gif hasn't changed any time recently. You didn't mention though which previous version worked for you; it couldn't have been 473.

I suspect all you're seeing is that the icon you're working with has more than 256 colors and BYOND is having trouble coming up with an ideal palette to use, since .gif is limited to 256 colors.

If this isn't the case, I'll need something to investigate. You didn't post any information that would be needed to reproduce the issue.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/isenggard/ Icon-1.gif

there is an example.

It's the exact same picture as my members picture. but it jumps and there is color loss too for some things.

the previous version was probably 470 that it worked.
That's not the icon you're working with; it's the output icon. I need to see the original you're trying to save as a .gif, and the code you're using to do so.
Lummox JR wrote:
That's not the icon you're working with; it's the output icon. I need to see the original you're trying to save as a .gif, and the code you're using to do so.

There is no code out there. I'm trying to add it to the game Hub.
Here is the dmi file that I'm trying to get into a gif.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/j1tqux