ID:100491

Resolved
Servers could sometimes crash in cases where the hub connection had intermittent disruptions.
BYOND Version:474
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Opera 9.80
Applies to:Dream Daemon

This issue has been resolved.
Duplicates:id:102671, id:102551, id:101949, id:102092
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When I run Dream Daemon, everything works fine, but after 30 minutes or so, the message "Dream Daemon has crashed and needs to close" pops up.

The message also happens when I delete Daemon Bans, perhaps they could be related?

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Host any game in Dream Daemon for 30 or so minutes
2. Delete a Daemon ban.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
N/A

Expected Results:
Dream Daemon doesn't crash.

Actual Results:
Dream Daemon crashes

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time.
In other games?
Every game I host.
In other user accounts?
Unable to answer ATM
On other computers?
Unable to answer ATM

When does the problem NOT occur?
It doesn't. It always occurs.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
It started happening after I deleted a Dream Daemon ban, iirc.

Workarounds:
THERE ARE NONE.
We need more information to investigate this bug. For a start, it would help to have crash details that we can trace.

If your system doesn't offer you any crash details, you can enable Dr. Watson which can create a minidump file whose contents we'll be able to go over. Go to Start | Run... and enter "drwtsn32 -i" to enable Dr. Watson. The next time a crash occurs, please post the full log of the crash here. If you are using a version other than 474 at the time, please let us know which version as well.
That's not one of my computer strong points. How do I get at the crash details?
If it doesn't offer you the choice to see them when the crash occurs, just follow the steps I listed.
Alright, let me go purposely crash my Daemon...
Huh, that's odd. Daemon isn't crashing today. :/
It's possible some kind of system instability caused the problem in the first place, but in the event that crashing does recur, having the crash details will help us track the problem back (as happened recently with Falacy's report). Of course if this doesn't happen again in the near term but it does happen in the future on a later version, you can still post the crash details and just be sure to tell us which version the dump is from.
I'm pretty sure it was the bans that caused it, as removing bans made it crash before...

EDIT: The crashes were never immediate, though. They always waited at least a minute before crashing.
I got one! It's big though, so I put it in a PASTEBIN.

http://pastebin.com/1fAJAKYM
Those aren't the crash details we need; that's an .xml file from the error reporting service, but it doesn't tell us where anything crashed. (I still don't understand the point of the error reporting service.) You'll need to get something that says which module crashed and at which offset. Since you're on XP, you should just be able to enable Dr. Watson by going to Start | Run... and typing "drwtsn32 -i". That will produce a minidump file with the information we need.
Alright, I started it up and it said something about becoming the default debugger or something. I'm pretty sure that's a good thing!

Does that mean the Dr. Watson thing replaces the "XXX has encountered a problem and needs to close." message?
NeonJ wrote:
Does that mean the Dr. Watson thing replaces the "XXX has encountered a problem and needs to close." message?

No. Just run Watson again after the crash occurs and it should have a log in the list for viewing.
Well, it crashed and I ran the program. I have no idea what to do.

Also, when it crashed this time, the XXX problem close yadda yadda message didn't come up. :/
The crash should have generated a file called Drwtsn32.log. We need the contents of that file, which you can post into a comment.
...Can I have a step-by-step thing to do after the crash, please? :S
Well, mine has crashed multiple times now, but I'm unsure how to get the report. Can I have instructions? :S
Go to Start | Run... and just type in "drwtsn32". That should bring up the configuration for the program, and the first item listed is the log file path. Open up that directory and then open up Drwtsn32.log in an editor like Notepad. Copy and paste the contents.
I don't see a .log file. :/
Perhaps you should describe specifically, step by step, what you are doing to try to find the log file. It should be there if Dr. Watson was activated correctly.
Yes, I think that's a possibility. However I'll need NeonJ's log to be sure.
Page: 1 2