Does it have to be new for this competition? I have an original board game that's more than a year in the making, but I could finish it up in time for this.

Edit: Also, +Yea
I have a crack at this next time I get some time; after school starts, I should be able to get some good time in on the weekends. Until then, I'm probably going to be playing soccer and doing all my summer school work that I've put off (I have 3 biology assignments, 5 world history assignments, 3 English "reaction journals" *cough* essays *cough*, 3 English book reviews (more essays), and a big calculus packet...)
IainPeregrine wrote:
Does it have to be new for this competition? I have an original board game that's more than a year in the making, but I could finish it up in time for this.

A month is incredibly generous for a casual game competition. Anyone and everyone should be able to put out a casual game in that time unless they're really busy or really unmotivated.

So with that in mind, if you want to finish old projects and recycle old code, I'm not fussed.

The entire goal here is to encourage people to make original (hopefully interesting and fun) casual games. How they go about doing that is entirely their business (hence the one month competition time).
Awesome! Welcome back, Tib :)
Sounds great, I'll try and get something done for this. May have some use for those random "systems" I've been making lately.
Damn, had I waited two weeks I could have entered this... If it's legal to finish a work in progress, is it legal to enter a game that was released two weeks ago?
No. That defeats the purpose.
Tsfreaks wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
Timing fail.

I was wondering.... wait till Saturday?

8k cartridge classic '10
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Tsfreaks wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
Timing fail.

I was wondering.... wait till Saturday?

8k cartridge classic '10

Is that a guess or a FYI?
Tiberath wrote:
No. That defeats the purpose.

Well shit, had I known that you were actually going to come back and do the contest, I would have waited to finish and release it until you started the contest.

I was talking about entering this game into the contest when you mentioned the contest a while back, but you disappeared, so I didn't think the contest was going to happen.

I mean, I guess that I could start from scratch on a new game...
Tsfreaks wrote:

Let's call it an educated guess.
If you look at "Let's get your cheat on", the post made by Lummox Jr, the short description mentioned getting out your code compression skills.

Additionally, in the post he seems to be getting together a list of standard libraries because dm.lib doesn't exist anymore.

If you look at the 8k cartridge classic '05, it was a competition where you had 8 kilobytes of code to make a game. Code from libraries from dm.lib did not count towards the 8kb limit.
8kb is barely anything, so code compression was an absolute must.

And lastly, he just said that Tiberath has fail timing because come Saturday, it could mean that there are two big development competitions going on simultaneously.

People entering these competitions/challenges might end up having to pick one over the other because of a lack of time to work on two entries at once.

I'm probably going to go with Lummox's contest, because in the 8k Cartridge Classic '05, I couldn't get my entry small enough in time. :[
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Tsfreaks wrote:

Let's call it an educated guess.

8k huh...

So much for decent interfaces... Do you think the contest will exclude the .dmf file size?

Anyway, that's good news for me. I was worried that something big was changing.

ts
8k for code. Does not include any resources like graphics, sounds, maps, or interfaces
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
People entering these competitions/challenges might end up having to pick one over the other because of a lack of time to work on two entries at once.

I'm probably going to go with Lummox's contest, because in the 8k Cartridge Classic '05, I couldn't get my entry small enough in time. :[

Provided they produce an original casual 8k game, what's stopping someone from entering both again?
That didn't occur to me. :P
I'm still put off by the fact that I can't enter my jigsaw game into the contest. The reason I worked so hard to finish it was for this contest. Now I don't get how me being able to enter a game that I released two weeks ago would be defeating the point. What's the point of the contest? To make a great game? To actually get something done for Casual? To make something in a month?

If you're going to let someone enter an old project, one that "is not finished" but has been worked on for over a year, then why can't I enter mine? What's the line? Ultimate Jigsaw is getting some major revisions and a move to 2.0. Would that qualify?
In response to the comment which has been removed, I don't mind going up against projects that have been years in production, but to not allow mine which was only 2-3 months in production and specifically remodeled several times just to compete in this competition, peeves me.
You wouldn't like it if I entered Decadence, would you?
According to what I've seen so far, the only thing that says you can't is that it isn't a Casual game. It's still an unfinished project.
That's the thing, Casual is a very vague term which can be applied to anything. Compared to something like Gears of War, Decadence is as casual as they come. It doesn't really matter what the game is as long as it's easy to jump into.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5